The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baumgartner should he stay or should he go?

Rate this topic

EP-40

Baumgartner   

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well since it's slow I figured I'd start a topic about something that I've rarely seen discussed. I think we have room for improvement in all aspects of the team, Coaching included.

Ever since green was hired and he made sure Baumgartner got his nhl promotion I've been a little salty. Our defense has clearly not been our best asset. The collapse and the triangle are woefully inadequate coaching techniques.

To put it simply I dont think Baumgartner is qualified to be an nhl assistant coach. I think he should be replaced asap.

I also dont think green is the coach to take us to the promised lands. I wish we had gone after q, but I digress.. if green is road blocking the replacement of baumer I would push for his removal as well.

Sorry for the negative outlook it's really my only major gripe with the team. I'd take Loui over baumer any day.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 2

24 minutes ago, EP-40 said:

Well since it's slow I figured I'd start a topic about something that I've rarely seen discussed. I think we have room for improvement in all aspects of the team, Coaching included.

Ever since green was hired and he made sure Baumgartner got his nhl promotion I've been a little salty. Our defense has clearly not been our best asset. The collapse and the triangle are woefully inadequate coaching techniques.

To put it simply I dont think Baumgartner is qualified to be an nhl assistant coach. I think he should be replaced asap.

I also dont think green is the coach to take us to the promised lands. I wish we had gone after q, but I digress.. if green is road blocking the replacement of baumer I would push for his removal as well.

Sorry for the negative outlook it's really my only major gripe with the team. I'd take Loui over baumer any day.

Maybe I can agree with loosing Baumgartner but I think Green is a good coach and if I'm wrong we'll see it this season for sure. As long as they have someone ready to replace Boomer that gets the job done.

If this club is healthy for the most part of the season, Green and his staff could get 10 more wins than last year.

There will not be a losing streak of any length like last year ( was it 8 games? ), this team is playoff bound!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

We had Stecher and Hutton as our top pairing some nights.  Pouliot got top 4 minutes at times due to injuries.  With the guys we brought in, even if not healthy, we can manage a lot better.

Can't put those pairings on Baumer.

We were also strapped with a young nucleus in Utica not ready for prime time yet. Even Chatfield went down with an injury too.

3 minutes ago, 6string said:

Can't put those pairings on Baumer.

Quite the opposite; those were our top healthy guys.  It was more optimism that our depth is better so we won't have to set our guys up for failure.  I got frustrated with Baumer as much as anyone last year but he had 0 top 4 defensemen for a good chunk of the year.  I would have preferred him to be fired, but I'm fine with giving him another shot if he works well with Green.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Quite the opposite; those were our top healthy guys.  It was more optimism that our depth is better so we won't have to set our guys up for failure.  I got frustrated with Baumer as much as anyone last year but he had 0 top 4 defensemen for a good chunk of the year.  I would have preferred him to be fired, but I'm fine with giving him another shot if he works well with Green.

Without Edler and Tanev that D was top end AHL calibre last year.

• Upvote 1

I've watched every single game under Baumer, even the stuff from Penticton since he's been behind the bench in the bigs.

Though I am not sure just how much of the team systems are his, and which are Greens.

Either way, the five man collapse is getting old to me.

This is the only way I can classify the system the last two years.

As soon as the other team would get the puck in the offensive zone, players all collapsed to the middle of the ice and either tried to block shots, or intercept passes to break up the play. Very rarely did we see players pressure the other puck carrier, especially 5 on 5, and god forbid they actually rub a guy out once in a while.

The chasing and puck blocks are causing many of the injuries, are some the biggest problems I have with his 'system'.

With some more grit, I am hoping to see many more pucks knocked loose along the boards in our own end this year.

If we are still rocking the same lame system at the end of this season, and we are not doing well, I think there has to be dozens, or even hundreds better qualified people to run an NHL D-corps looking for work.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EP-40 said:

It's always tease tease tease with Baumer.

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Edler's done pretty well under Baumer.   We've overhauled half our defense, so I'd like to see how the new group does before passing judgement.  I do really like Greener and want him to stay, but he's likely the fall guy if we miss the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Western Red said:

Give them all a year with a capable D core. If we get ventilated again next season, he's surely gone and probably wouldn't work in the NHL again.

I'm not enthused in NB or care for his demeanor, but he's hardly been given much to work with. Big year for him, and everybody else. 

These are both fair takes.