The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:38 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’d pay him 7

The guy is a beast. 

And yes, MT has more value than BB. I don’t think any poll outside a homer forum would suggest otherwise. 

Nothing against BB, nothing at all. 

some, yes. But his so-called physicality evaporated in the playoffs, was not a good look for him so while I agree generally I don't think its another tier in price difference. Maybe something like Brock 6.5 MT 7.5. 

• Cheers 1

Some harsh words about his deployment and Little lately. 

Getting pretty sour pretty fast, WPG has made such a big mess this off-season with their big players. Bad time to trade him though when his value is so low, I'd try some sort of a "prove me what you got" bridge deal similar to Boeser. 2 x 6-7 and go from there.

46 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Some harsh words about his deployment and Little lately. 

Getting pretty sour pretty fast, WPG has made such a big mess this off-season with their big players. Bad time to trade him though when his value is so low, I'd try some sort of a "prove me what you got" bridge deal similar to Boeser. 2 x 6-7 and go from there.

At this point, it might be even better for WPG to just let him sit out until he grows up. 

The damage he has done to the locker room environment, and the terrible effort on the ice makes him more of a liability than what he produces on the ice (IF he produces on the ice)

Definitely wouldn't trade him right now either, because that'll be a lose-lose situation for the Jets as well. 

Just get Connor signed, and get the season underway and let Laine play in Europe for a couple years.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

At this point, it might be even better for WPG to just let him sit out until he grows up. 

The damage he has done to the locker room environment, and the terrible effort on the ice makes him more of a liability than what he produces on the ice (IF he produces on the ice)

Definitely wouldn't trade him right now either, because that'll be a lose-lose situation for the Jets as well. 

Just get Connor signed, and get the season underway and let Laine play in Europe for a couple years.

Laine, PP, and Juolevi all had some swagger and arrogance to them. Ollie's been humbled by Sami Salo and injuries. PP is wanting top 6 minutes and out of EDM. Now Laine wants top line minutes. It seems this whole class aside from Aho has needed some humbling. I'm glad it's working out for them tho. Olli was I guess more confident then arrogant but he had some swagger. 

I hope we make a move to get PP I think his size and skill would compliment Bo and Miller imo. A deal would likely involve Goldobin tho. I'm sure that would upset a lot in the fanbase.

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Laine, PP, and Juolevi all had some swagger and arrogance to them. Ollie's been humbled by Sami Salo and injuries. PP is wanting top 6 minutes and out of EDM. Now Laine wants top line minutes. It seems this whole class aside from Aho has needed some humbling. I'm glad it's working out for them tho. Olli was I guess more confident then arrogant but he had some swagger. 

I hope we make a move to get PP I think his size and skill would compliment Bo and Miller imo. A deal would likely involve Goldobin tho. I'm sure that would upset a lot in the fanbase.

I think we were lucky to have OJ learn under Salo for a year, it probably did teach him a lot. 

WPG is really in a tough spot - can they really get both Laine and Connor for under 15 mil? maybe, but it would require Laine to take less than the reported 10 mil he's looking for. Not sure why he'd do that, he doesn't seem all that attached to WPG. But he's too flaky to receive an offer sheet so who knows. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I would trade Goldobolin in a heart beat for Puljujarvi. Never gonna happen tho no way does Edmonton trade him withing the division. Guys going east if anything.

The top 5 of that draft (short of PLD...so far anyway) sure is drama rich :lol:

Mathews demands big $$ and second contract that takes him right to UFA/likely out of TOR. Laine's looking like a demandy, spoiled prima donna here. Pool Party's bordering on bust territory, took his ball and went home. And we all know the drama around 'hasn't played an NHL game yet' and Juolevi (though that's largely media and 'fan' driven and due largely to injuries IMO).

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The top 5 of that draft (short of PLD...so far anyway) sure is drama rich :lol:

Mathews demands big $$ and second contract that takes him right to UFA/likely out of TOR. Laine's looking like a demandy, spoiled prima donna here. Pool Party's bordering on bust territory, took his ball and went home. And we all know the drama around 'hasn't played an NHL game yet' and Juolevi (though that's largely media and 'fan' driven and due largely to injuries IMO).

Dubois and Tkachuk are the darlings of that draft.  McAvoy as well.  I know PLD was on top of Benning's list.  He was their guy I think after Matthews.

• Cheers 2

I think it really sucks - for Winnipeg to have to deal Trouba, and watch as both Laine and Connor are unsigned at this point.

I like Pionk and am really interested to see how well he translates to playing in that lineup.

But I'd really like to see that team with their young talent in their lineup.

They got a raw deal when the moronic NHL decided to move their franchise to a friggin desert - still a limping experiment that has to be considered a fundamental fail.

I think it was unfortunate for them to draw who I thought was probably the best team in the NHL at the start of the playoffs - in the first round last year.

And now they are facing a bit of an overdone crunch where guys like Trouba, Laine, Connor are concerned.

I'd like to see that franchise catch a break.   And beyond that, if there's one move they might make, I have to wonder if they could upgrade behind the bench.