The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Laine and Jets talks about contract 'non-existant', uncertain about future in Winnipeg

Odd.

4 hours ago, rekker said:

Maybe he has a good point. But you keep it to yourself. Throwing your teammates under the bus in the media is just pure garbage.

Fwiw Finnish posters on HF have been saying that the reporter has been taking shots at the Jets all season - he doesn't like their deployment of Laine.  

The Jets have been saying all the right things re it's not an issue.   Might just be a tempest in a teacup.

Liut was asked his reaction to Laine’s comments in the article from Jalonen (starts at 18 second mark and runs till 3:59):

“…Patrik went through a pretty tough year last year because everybody expected him to score 50 or 60 goals and he’s trying to explain away what happened, or at least defend himself a little bit and that’s an impossible thing to do.  When the writer takes it to another step or a false conclusion and takes a shot at guys, then that’s not Patrik’s intent and certainly not what he said.  Case in point is this and it’s very simple.  They make a point about primary assists and they also link it to Patrik’s 110 goals.  Well 40% of those goals, I don’t know the total but like that or more, 45%, are power play goals and Bryan Little is not on the ice for those and he can’t participate…..I think the writer took an unfortunate slant.  Patrik reached out to Bryan immediately and whatever he said to him in his words but they’re more than fine and that’s hockey…”

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

While he may have a point throwing your teammates under the bus like that is stupid. No matter how much a classy guy like Wheeler will come out and say it's a non-story, it's not true.

Yes! 100% accurate. Because that's how a professional handles the media. But you bet your ass he pissed off a number of people on that team. 

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

You've literally called your line mates crap, and when you're as lacklustre defensively and as inconsistent offensively as Laine was last year. Throwing your teammates under the bus like that is gutless. 

This is a big deal. Laine is what, 21...22? If I'm a veteran on that team or if I'm Laine's linemate, I'm pissed. These guys are at camp busting thier asses while Laine is at home playing video games, talking sh!t about his teammates and waiting to count his millions. Maybe Buff decided he was going to retire because he knew he'd punch Laine out the second he walked into that dressing room lol

• Cheers 3

Remember when this guy took a shot at the canucks in the media about video games/fortnite on the road.  As calm and calculated as Wheeler was in his comments, also think he took a shot at Laine too mentioning how Laine hasn't done what he's done by himself.  Pretty much a 1 dimensional goal scorer, but a streaky goal scorer so far in his NHL career.

16 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Remember when this guy took a shot at the canucks in the media about video games/fortnite on the road.  As calm and calculated as Wheeler was in his comments, also think he took a shot at Laine too mentioning how Laine hasn't done what he's done by himself.  Pretty much a 1 dimensional goal scorer, but a streaky goal scorer so far in his NHL career.

yeah, i'd have to agree that Laine while a great goal scorer, is a pretty one dimensional player to this point in his career. If he could round out his game, he could become of the NHL greats, but as it stands today, great goal scorer, and pretty much nothing else. 

9 hours ago, mll said:

Fwiw Finnish posters on HF have been saying that the reporter has been taking shots at the Jets all season - he doesn't like their deployment of Laine.  

The Jets have been saying all the right things re it's not an issue.   Might just be a tempest in a teacup.

Liut was asked his reaction to Laine’s comments in the article from Jalonen (starts at 18 second mark and runs till 3:59):

“…Patrik went through a pretty tough year last year because everybody expected him to score 50 or 60 goals and he’s trying to explain away what happened, or at least defend himself a little bit and that’s an impossible thing to do.  When the writer takes it to another step or a false conclusion and takes a shot at guys, then that’s not Patrik’s intent and certainly not what he said.  Case in point is this and it’s very simple.  They make a point about primary assists and they also link it to Patrik’s 110 goals.  Well 40% of those goals, I don’t know the total but like that or more, 45%, are power play goals and Bryan Little is not on the ice for those and he can’t participate…..I think the writer took an unfortunate slant.  Patrik reached out to Bryan immediately and whatever he said to him in his words but they’re more than fine and that’s hockey…”

Wouldn't be the first time a reporter twists words to get a sensational headline.  Click-bait.

On 9/19/2019 at 1:30 AM, N4ZZY said:

yeah, i'd have to agree that Laine while a great goal scorer, is a pretty one dimensional player to this point in his career. If he could round out his game, he could become of the NHL greats, but as it stands today, great goal scorer, and pretty much nothing else. 

Shades of Michael Grabner.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Buffalo offer; don’t know how legit 

BUF

Laine

WPG

Ristolainen

Sheary

2 x 1st Round Draft Picks

NHL Trade Rumour

I saw that, was going to post it here.  They called it a 'Mega-Deal"

I'm unsure how that's really a mega deal as they're losing a prime winger for a decent return but not filling that hole.  

The 1sts and potential replacement for Byfuglien aren't terrible but...

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

BUF

Laine

WPG

Ristolainen

Sheary

NHL Trade Rumour

F*ck. The Jets better say no to that.

Risto is 100% garbage. His offensive totals are misleading. 

Sheary is a good player, but entirely redundant and replaceable. 

The two firsts aren’t enough. 

In short, all the wrong players the Jets would want. If Buffalo, conversation starts with Reinhart. And even then, they’d have to add quite a bit more.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Me_ said:

BUF

Laine

WPG

Ristolainen

Sheary

NHL Trade Rumour

It does make far too much sense for these teams to consummate a trade... so it is hard to figure out whether it is someone spitballing or a real rumour with some legs.

Winnipeg is desperate for D, Ristolainen is definitely a top 4 guy (though maybe not a #1 like he has been deployed in Buffalo).

Of course it also takes Laine agreeing to a reasonable contract offer in Buffalo.

Winnipeg probably has to take on a little more salary (they have tons of room) as Buffalo is pretty near the cap and Risto+Sheary may not equal Laine's salary.  Maybe Sobotka.

Laine-Eichel-Skinner  would be a pretty highly paid line top and had better produce.

PS.  I also love that every time I look up Buffalo on Capfriendly I get to see that they are still paying for Hodgson...

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

It does make far too much sense for these teams to consummate a trade... so it is hard to figure out whether it is someone spitballing or a real rumour with some legs.

Winnipeg is desperate for D, Ristolainen is definitely a top 4 guy (though maybe not a #1 like he has been deployed in Buffalo).

Of course it also takes Laine agreeing to a reasonable contract offer in Buffalo.

Winnipeg probably has to take on a little more salary (they have tons of room) as Buffalo is pretty near the cap and Risto+Sheary may not equal Laine's salary.  Maybe Sobotka.

Laine-Eichel-Skinner  would be a pretty highly paid line top and had better produce.

PS.  I also love that every time I look up Buffalo on Capfriendly I get to see that they are still paying for Hodgson...

Buff and risto can be comparable , both have hiccups in their game....

i think jets would do it if they add Casey M or Sam R and even take cap dump Kyle okposo.....

p.s still burns me that we took hodgson over Myers and karlsson and we could have used a right handed D too at the time.