The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Five Most Poorly Managed Teams(Edm, Ott & 3 more)

Rate this topic

Edmonton and Ottawa is pretty obvious.  Minnesota has made some extremely questionable moves lately.  Arizona has just perpetually been a bad franchise.  And Philadelphia seems to always have some really good pieces in place but never make a move to put them at the next level.

As for bad moves.......Drake Cagguila for Brandon Manning.  Cagguila has the potential to have time on the 1st line with Toews, meanwhile Manning was a healthy scratch in Bakersfield. 

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Ducks are tough to call poorly managed because of how well they draft late though.  Sam Steel has a decent shot at winning the Calder.

I didn't really consider Steel in my thoughts on it, its more waiting for the team to disintegrate before making any significant changes and hanging on too long. Should have "blown it up" for lack of a better term after that 3rd round exit, that was the swan song for Perry, Getzlaf and Kesler. 

15 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

its a Canuck forum but Vancouver has to be considered. So called rebuilding team, over paying Miller then LE when we should have kept that cap space, 0 need to get into our cap crunch situation if we didn't go out every July spending frivilously on aging or over hyped UFA to TRY make us a playoff team sooner and skip the proper rebuilding process.

GM JB- Given out bad contracts- with poor pay structure and NTC/NMC, giving extra years to a deal to get said player, traded picks away when we were rebuilding. We are just starting to hopefully trend upwards and we are a cap team...not ideal for a team that hasn't been in the playoffs the last 4 years. Iffy top draft picks selections considering top 6 picks ( OJ tbd, Jake not looking like a sniping PF yet and he has been around a while. Trading young recent prospects IE McCann or Forsling. Making some poor trades

But our owners are the ones who think he has done a good job and gave him an extension so time will tell...big year for the whole organization as a whole tho.

Just another tid bit to irk the JB lovers, yes he has made a couple nice draft choices, but where is the 2nd through 7th round nhl players on our roster. Most teams can find a guy in those round who have made some kind of impact. We have GAUD, who I hope has a big year but our picks have underwhelmed imo. Hope Lind and Gadj can have a solid 2nd year in Utica. 

It seems like u just threw out whatever came into your head. Not much thought was given.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 7:24 PM, King Heffy said:

Edmonton - Not an NHL team

Ottawa - Ownership makes mgmt's job impossible

Toronto- Nylander extension while icing a terrible defense and a 10 ply team

Minnesota - Just a bizarre set of trades

Buffalo - Not sure what they're doing there; just trading assets for multiple RD who can't play defense.

Honorable mention - Washington.  How the hell do you let Trotz go after he finally wins you a Stanley Cup?

I have to give a bit of respect to Ottawa simply because they're committed to whatever plan they have. Dorian is clearly on board and they have a respectable prospect pool. There biggest hurdle will be to get over that hump of losing for a long time and hopefully their prospects have been insulated enough to not feel the effects of losing too long.

As for Washington and Trotz, they wanted to keep Trotz after winning the Cup, but Trotz was pissed he wasn't given a vote of confidence earlier and chose to walk.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:09 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about Panarin, a 6th, and Tyler Motte for: Anton Forsberg, Brandon Saad, and 5th rounder. 

If Benning did a deal like that he'd be crucified. 

Instead Benning is still being crucified for the Forsling trade.

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, brownky said:

Edmonton

Ottawa

San Jose

Edmonton and Ottawa are self explanatory.

San Jose has an old team, who just re-signed Karlsson while losing probably their most impact forward (who was also getting old) - and looking more and more like they're going to need to sign Marleau and Thornton at a combined age of 80 to ice a team.

Their window has shut, and they're playing like it hasn't.

Worst three moves:

Neal for Lucic. Both teams lose, badly. It's neat how that works. I'm so happy it happened to Calgary and Edmonton.

Tavares for $infinity. The leafs window opened and closed last year on that move. They won't get it done in the playoffs, their back end is not strong enough. It basically guaranteed Matthews is gonna bolt, because they can't afford the team AND him. No Matthews, no Leafs. Marner is going to take up whatever is left.

Karlsson re-signing: I was on board with a "throw all the money at Karlsson" - until I saw just how broken he is. Playing 30 minutes a night in Ottawa getting mushed, he's on his way downhill fast I think. He might very well have a good couple years, but it's going to look like a worse Seabrook contract sooner rather than later.

Too early to tell for the Neal and Lucic trade.

I actually don't think the Tavares signing itself was all that bad. They should've let Nylander rot rather than give him the contract that they did considering they were successful at that time and didn't really need him. They should've probably looked to trade Matthews before giving him his contract. They probably could've gotten better depth by trading Matthews or at least targeted a bigger need. Toronto has made many bad decisions, but I think Tavares was one of the better ones and he wasn't the problem for them last season.

I kinda agree that SJ are seemingly looking quite desperate to make a push and they've simply haven't gotten the results and their players are just getting older and older.

• Cheers 1

On 8/16/2019 at 6:28 PM, Shekky said:

hate to disagree but Penguins sending Pearson to Vancouver was a great move not seeing the negatives here ;)

Edmonton, Ottawa, Columbus/Winnipeg

Its a toss up between Columbus and Winnipeg but at the end of the day I think Columbus is worse off then the Jets as the Jets still have a lot of good talent where as Columbus has Foligno to complain about all the star players leaving ;)

I think Columbus aren't in as bad of a position as it may seem. Certain things do have to go right for sure, but they can ice a respectable team should their goaltending hold up. Winnipeg has more top end talent, but I think Columbus has a pretty well rounded team and they still have a Norris candidate in Seth Jones to build around.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, brownky said:

Edmonton

Ottawa

San Jose

Edmonton and Ottawa are self explanatory.

San Jose has an old team, who just re-signed Karlsson while losing probably their most impact forward (who was also getting old) - and looking more and more like they're going to need to sign Marleau and Thornton at a combined age of 80 to ice a team.

Their window has shut, and they're playing like it hasn't.

Worst three moves:

Neal for Lucic. Both teams lose, badly. It's neat how that works. I'm so happy it happened to Calgary and Edmonton.

Tavares for $infinity. The leafs window opened and closed last year on that move. They won't get it done in the playoffs, their back end is not strong enough. It basically guaranteed Matthews is gonna bolt, because they can't afford the team AND him. No Matthews, no Leafs. Marner is going to take up whatever is left.

Karlsson re-signing: I was on board with a "throw all the money at Karlsson" - until I saw just how broken he is. Playing 30 minutes a night in Ottawa getting mushed, he's on his way downhill fast I think. He might very well have a good couple years, but it's going to look like a worse Seabrook contract sooner rather than later.

San Jose? Their window is almost closed, if not closed. They are trying one more time.

How many time have they made the playoffs? How many rounds deep did they go last spring?

If they were that bad how in the world did they attract Karlsson? Lots of holes in your stance here.

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2019 at 6:53 PM, Canuckster86 said:

its a Canuck forum but Vancouver has to be considered. So called rebuilding team, over paying Miller then LE when we should have kept that cap space, 0 need to get into our cap crunch situation if we didn't go out every July spending frivilously on aging or over hyped UFA to TRY make us a playoff team sooner and skip the proper rebuilding process.

GM JB- Given out bad contracts- with poor pay structure and NTC/NMC, giving extra years to a deal to get said player, traded picks away when we were rebuilding. We are just starting to hopefully trend upwards and we are a cap team...not ideal for a team that hasn't been in the playoffs the last 4 years. Iffy top draft picks selections considering top 6 picks ( OJ tbd, Jake not looking like a sniping PF yet and he has been around a while. Trading young recent prospects IE McCann or Forsling. Making some poor trades

But our owners are the ones who think he has done a good job and gave him an extension so time will tell...big year for the whole organization as a whole tho.

Just another tid bit to irk the JB lovers, yes he has made a couple nice draft choices, but where is the 2nd through 7th round nhl players on our roster. Most teams can find a guy in those round who have made some kind of impact. We have GAUD, who I hope has a big year but our picks have underwhelmed imo. Hope Lind and Gadj can have a solid 2nd year in Utica. 

Rebuilding and poorly managed are 2 completely different things.

Vancouver and New Jersey are places that are clearly rebuilding.

Buffalo and Arizona would be good examples of poorly managed, though Arizona seems to be breaking themselves out of that cycle. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/17/2019 at 1:37 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Laffs

- wrap 40 mill of cap up in 4 offensive pieces?!(IF Marner can ever get signed)

- Marleau stupidity(why 3 yrs, not a 2 yr?) forces them to absolutely squander a 1st to an eastern rival

- Brutal D-core who all become FA's at the same second

- Billion $ entity puts an untried, gullible kid in charge?

- All they seem to do is use financial wherewithal to take on others' useless(LTIR) contracts. So creative!

Inexplicable arrogance from a fanbase that's won a single PO series in the past two decades. Won't mind watching this overhyped outfit crash like new Boeing sales!

Couldn’t agree more.   They should be at the very tippy top of the list for ruining it or at least putting the last few screws in the coffin for every other team looking to sign their star RFAs to second contract money - Nylander? AM 11.7 right to free agency wtf?!  Makes me mad.   Now other then AHO who was offer sheeted, the rest of the class is in a poker game with each other to see who shows their hand of aces first.  Must be fun to be an agent these days.

Marner, Rantanen, Point, MT, Laine, Boeser and Conner - in descending order 10.5,9,8.5,8,7.5,7,6....instead of what it should be 4.5-8. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Rebuilding and poorly managed are 2 completely different things.

Vancouver and New Jersey are places that are clearly rebuilding.

Buffalo and Arizona would be good examples of poorly managed, though Arizona seems to be breaking themselves out of that cycle. 

ARI will be out soon....right about when Seattle comes in - doubt Seattle gets the same deals Vegas got so should actually be a good thing for the rest of our division. 

On 8/18/2019 at 1:45 AM, theo5789 said:

Too early to tell for the Neal and Lucic trade.

I actually don't think the Tavares signing itself was all that bad. They should've let Nylander rot rather than give him the contract that they did considering they were successful at that time and didn't really need him. They should've probably looked to trade Matthews before giving him his contract. They probably could've gotten better depth by trading Matthews or at least targeted a bigger need. Toronto has made many bad decisions, but I think Tavares was one of the better ones and he wasn't the problem for them last season.

I kinda agree that SJ are seemingly looking quite desperate to make a push and they've simply haven't gotten the results and their players are just getting older and older.

I had zero problem with the Tavares move - he actually earned his pay-cheque unlike the rest of the RFAs now earning 3rd contract money.  Five years ago TO wouldn’t have any cap issues if things kept the same, and would have a great window to work with, Kadri still on their team and money to use on their defense - CHI 2.0 really.   Too bad they couldn’t keep things real with Nylander and AM, that djini is never going back into the bottle after this crop of RFAs sign.  

Instead they will have almost half their payroll tied up on 4 forwards.  Fun to pick on TO but sad really.  Dubas actually did what Burke accursed Lowe of doing all those years ago when he offer sheeted Penner with an undeserved third contract money 5 million - that is “lobbed a hand grenade into every other GMs roster” the ramifications will be long lasting.   Quality is going to go down, or at the very least regular players will play for less and not as long. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/17/2019 at 1:21 AM, skolozsy2 said:

Edmonton and Ottawa is pretty obvious.  Minnesota has made some extremely questionable moves lately.  Arizona has just perpetually been a bad franchise.  And Philadelphia seems to always have some really good pieces in place but never make a move to put them at the next level.

As for bad moves.......Drake Cagguila for Brandon Manning.  Cagguila has the potential to have time on the 1st line with Toews, meanwhile Manning was a healthy scratch in Bakersfield. 

and i believe he was later traded to flordia for petraovic, and now petraovic signed a PTO

• Cheers 1

I don't like all this hate for Canadian teams... We're hating on fellow Canadians. What part of that is good for our nation? 

Here's my list of top 5 worst managed 

1. LA Kings... Won a couple cups when their guys realized doing coke between periods... Now they are back to being awful. Look for them to be last in the division this year. 

2. Florida Dumpsters... Terrible franchise, absolutely terrible. They only managed to win 2 games for Luongo in the playoffs his entire panther career. 

3. Sabers 

4. Blackhawks... Have 0 real success if you realize the old boys club had their backs for all their cups 

5. Arizona... No success 

• Haha 4