The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I think this is what happened (just guessing):

Aqualini asked GMJB what his offseason plans were. GMJB told him he wanted to acquire a top 6 forward and a top 4 D. Aqua agreed that this was a good plan. GMJB went out and completed this plan very well all things considered. Aqua rewarded GMJB because he executed his plan. 

I think everyone in management and ownership expects playoffs no later than 2 years, and JB has set up the team to achieve that. He has some job security now, but if they don’t make it by 2021 I would imagine he still ends up fired anyways

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, it wouldn't have made sense to have a lame duck GM.

6 years is a typical lifespan of a NHL GM. There were only two GMs who had a longer 6 years tenure with their club last year and one of them was Holland.

Benning should know he’s on his last leg with this club and did what any GM would have done to save his job. He went all out  and got two big pieces in free agency. Showing the owners this team is ready to compete.

9 hours ago, the grinder said:

well u might as well trade away draft picks if you drafted like gillis did  benning got 5 nhl players his first draft   gillis got 5 players in his 6 years in the draft  so why you crying about picks for . did you cry when gillis traded Patrick White away ? shed a tear for cody ?   how about Jordan Schroeder  ?   remember those first rounders  so that means gillis is 3 times the dummy then according to your own analytical  ideas 

Your wasting your time with this guy he's a hater and thinks Gillis was god or something. Doesnt understand Burke and Nonis built that team that went to the cup finals not Gillis

7 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I think this is what happened (just guessing):

Aqualini asked GMJB what his offseason plans were. GMJB told him he wanted to acquire a top 6 forward and a top 4 D. Aqua agreed that this was a good plan. GMJB went out and completed this plan very well all things considered. Aqua rewarded GMJB because he executed his plan. 

I think everyone in management and ownership expects playoffs no later than 2 years, and JB has set up the team to achieve that. He has some job security now, but if they don’t make it by 2021 I would imagine he still ends up fired anyways

that and season ticket sales are back up. Its still a business. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, canuckpuckluck15 said:

This news make me very happy. For two reasons.

1. A plan has been set in place and the creative team that started the process looks like it will get the chance to see it to fruition. So often you see a management team start something only for it to be turned 180 degrees just prior to the plan being executed. I praise the Canucks for acknowledging the good work Jim and his staff have done.

2. Jim Benning was a first time GM at the start of his tenure. He has made mistakes and from my point of view is learning from those mistakes. He is becoming a GM who is respected in the league and more importantly respected by his players. He is making very good decisions for the benefit of the team. Jim is building a team of quality staff who support the team and are working very hard to improve it.

The one major decision I would like to see completed is to lock up Judd Bracket for as long as possible. I personally think he is the best thing that has happened to the Canucks in the last 5 years. I think non player wise he is the biggest influence on the future of this franchise. Definitely a GM in the making. He has great poise, and a master of his craft.

I could see Brackett getting the bump up to AGM soon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I know it is the nature of this board that people think this is a great move or think it is awful.  

He hasn't been a great GM but he hasn't been terrible either.  He came into a team in a terrible situation and with no lottery luck has built the teams new core through the draft.

He has however had a lot of things that are easy to be critical of.  Bleeding pics in deals for average at best vets.  Overpaying in UFA and being way too reliant on UFAs to stock the club.  Numerous deals handed out to just bad players.  Being a little too old school in his interpretation of the league. 

I think keeping him is a good thing as he does the most important part of the job well, he drafts well.  My problem is with ownership not finding the people to compliment his weaknesses.  After TL left they had a great opportunity to add a president that would help to complement him and we have heard nothing but crickets.

He's improving on his signings as well as contracts. You have to remember he was a rookie GM and expected to make some hits and misses like all GM's even the most experienced ones etc Lucic deal in Edm just to name one. I agree it would be nice to sign a president whos a hockey man(Burke) someone like you said could compliment him, but realistically he's done a great job and I'm glad he gets a chance to see it through

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IRR said:

And you’re negative / ignorant!!! Don’t like everything Jim’s done, fine! But, you can at least acknowledge the things he’s done well and it far outweighs the negative! You have to be blind, def and dumb not to recognize it!!

Wasting your time with this guy, he's a hater no fixing stupid

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Burke built the crap out of that team.

Right away he signed Neidermayer who was the best Dman in the league, signed Selanne who promptly put up 90 points, traded a super overpriced Fedorov for Beauchemin who ended up being a rock solid top 4. Traded for Moen and Fedoruk who along with Paulsson became the top shut down line in the league.  He picked up Todd Marchand who ended up being a key piece of their cup run as well. Then rounded out his truculence with Brad May, Shane O'Brien and George Parros so his young horses could run. 

All this besides his "no brainer" Pronger deal that ended up being a steal.

Love Burke wish we could bring him in as president

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Your wasting your time with this guy he's a hater and thinks Gillis was god or something. Doesnt understand Burke and Nonis built that team that went to the cup finals not Gillis

I know what I am doing  ;-) I just like to point out real facts to the trolls  and for all the other trolls out there to see,  kinda like a public service announcement 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, the grinder said:

I know what I am doing  ;-) I just like to point out real facts to the trolls  and for all the other trolls out there to see,  kinda like a public service announcement 

Nice but unfortunately there like Trump and don't understand facts, but keep up the great public service:towel:

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Burke at the time was considered the best GM in the league.  He built the Sedin team with the exception of Luongo, and we were on the up and up during his time in ANA.   That team also happens to be probably my favourite cup winning team the past 20 years or so.   He built an old school team around a highly skilled core of players that had made the final but needed an identity shift.  They lost to NJ who punished every team along the way - Stevens killing guys every round with perfectly legal hits at the time - and a third line as gritty and tough as they come.   At the time they also had the best offense in their conference (NJ)....

Burke took notice of this and added more beef then I’ve ever seen a GM do the past three decades.  They already had some toughness - Scott Thornton but wow!  In the end they ran with a throw back team that spent 1/3 of the entire playoffs in the penalty box and relied on Pronger, Neidermayers (both of them) Pahlson PKers etc to keep the puck out which they did.   They had 5 pugilists on that team and another half dozen or so guys that were mean and could play and fight.  

They ended up playing against the best line in hockey at the time (OTT) and one of the best regular season teams at the time too - Heatly Spezza Alfie we’re virtually tied in the playoff scoring race...made mince meat out of them.   

When Scott N got the cup and passed it on to his brother it wasn’t about nepotism, it was an acknowledgement to what his line did for the team over the four series - that is kill off the penalties.   They deliberately went in with a game plan to knock the crap out of other teams star players no matter the cost and it won them a cup.   Pronger was the icing on the cake no doubt, having two of the best in the business patrolling the blue line 30 minutes was huge...I still have team envy to this day.  Perry, Getzlaf and Penner too.  Wow.

On Burke - TO wanted him badly and paid a huge amount at the time for his services - his five year plan didn’t work out and blemished his resume, but I still have huge respect for him.   I’d welcome him home in a minute as a President.   He said some really nice things about the Myers and Edler signings and about our team in general.  

I'm in Burke for President

• Cheers 2

Love that they did this before the season started. It sets precedence and shows loudly to everyone that they like and believe in the direction the team is going. I'm looking forward to a few more years of Judd and Jims drafting plan. If we keep our prospect pace up we will really have some asset to deal with trade wise, good problems to have! I am hoping they keep Judd in the fold for years to come as well. Hopefully his next step is into an assistan GM role beside Jim.