Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

18 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, Jim has built something pretty special.....

2015–16 82 31 38 13 75 191 243 6th, Pacific Did not qualify
2016–17 82 30 43 9 69 182 243 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 218 264 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 225 254 5th, Pacific Did not qualify

Would it have been better results your way?

• Haha 1

Gillis's Canucks shoulda/coulda won not 1 but 2 Stanley Cups and if they had he would probably have a statue built . I like Gillis not trying to throw him under any busses but to get what he accomplished   he gave a lot of No trade clauses and traded away many draft picks . remembering our firsts were always near the bottom of the first round etc . So for many years we had No up-n-comers . Bennings hands were tied on who he could trade and every player agent will say that the first item of signing a free agent is the TAXES so some teams [ mostly Canadian teams ] have to really sweeten the pot with extra money or term to get them here . I don't agree with everything JB has done . I think injuries have really halted his ability to make the trades he could of at the trade deadlines . When he has said that they do not want a "Losing Culture " they knew they would lose many more games than they would win . They said they just wanted to be in those games 4/3 or 3/2 Not 7/2 Blowouts all the time .... Sorry for the Rant 

• Hydration 2

7 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Except, Benning only traded one first round pick.

I don't care, he can trade them all as long as it makes the team better to win. Seemed like a good time to post that picture after the other posters before were crying about him giving picks away :lol:

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

30 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You people are so blind. 

Gillis was fired for wanting to trade away the core which would have replenished all of the lost picks he used. 

Wah wah Gillis traded away picks to make a cup run and didn't refill the cupboards even though when he tried he got fired. 

Like I said repeatedly, jb has only done 1/3 of his job well. He doesn't deserve an extension until after this season if the progress continues, but he got one so I sure hope it does anyway. 

After coming on here and reading all your posts I never have to wonder why the rest of the world mocks canuck fans like you. Zero respect for the man who took us to game 7, blind faith in a man who has proven nothing. 

Makes me sick. 

Why would you keep a GM who can't draft?  He has shown that he can't refill the cupboards with prospects.  Of course the owners would fire him.  

• Upvote 1

Not sure why some are always comparing Gillis to Benning.  They were both in radical different phases of competing. Of course Gillis traded draft picks for the now, he was trying to win a cup.  Benning hasn't been in that situation yet.

I will say that the drafts Gillis did have were pretty sheeiittyy though.....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Seriously people are crying about Gillis and not refilling the prospect pool, after he did his best to get this city a Stanley Cup..... Wow you guys are worse then HFBoards

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You people are so blind. 

Gillis was fired for wanting to trade away the core which would have replenished all of the lost picks he used. 

Wah wah Gillis traded away picks to make a cup run and didn't refill the cupboards even though when he tried he got fired. 

Like I said repeatedly, jb has only done 1/3 of his job well. He doesn't deserve an extension until after this season if the progress continues, but he got one so I sure hope it does anyway. 

After coming on here and reading all your posts I never have to wonder why the rest of the world mocks canuck fans like you. Zero respect for the man who took us to game 7, blind faith in a man who has proven nothing. 

Makes me sick. 

Not really that hard to do when there’s already a good young core in place and all you need to do is make a few more moves to push it over the top. If Gillis was even average at drafting we would’ve been in the playoffs a couple years ago. 

• Upvote 1

Just listened to J Pat on Bro Jake's show.

I hope that guy has a more positive outlook about his life than the negative, misleading crap he spews on the radio.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just listened to J Pat on Bro Jake's show.

I hope that guy has a more positive outlook about his life than the negative, misleading crap he spews on the radio.

He sooo horrible!!! Negative as they come and clearly has an agenda!! If the organization was perfect (not possible obviously) across the board, he’d still be negative / spewing misinformation. 

I think they should have waited until the end of the season to sign anything. I kind of liked the idea putting the pressure on Jim, because it seemed to be getting results.

Edited by John_Guest

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You people are so blind. 

Makes me sick. 

Why don't the Gillis faithful list his list of classics like they do Benning? Oh I know, how about not giving Mitchell 2 years? Think we would have won the cup with Mitchell instead of Ballard? I do. Think the Canucks lose to LA the next season as well? I don't.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3

6 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

I think they should have waited until the end of the season to sign anything. I kind of liked the idea putting the pressure on Jim, because it seemed to be getting results.

I'm not sure you understand how it works.  GM's with no extension rarely get anything done

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, John_Guest said:

I don’t think JB is the type to take his job for granted. The guy works tirelessly to make our team better. A good culture to set for the rest of the management and the team itself. 

JB doesn’t need pressure, he needs time to continue unveiling his vision.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

So because we don't agree with you we're blind and mockworthy?  If the rest of the world mocks us that reflects more on them than us.

I had/have faith in both men.   I accept that there are ebbs and flows, peaks and valleys.  That these men are working with a "roster" of men who are expected to perform at a top level over the duration of a season.  And that things can factor in that impact that.  So looking at how a team "does" is hardly a marker...it's an overall picture that really is complex.  Some take over roles in better positions than others, some will have players "available" and others will have to scrape the bottom of the barrel.  Contracts and their expirations come into play.  So much.  

You make it too cut and dry.  "Waiting" to see places too much pressure on everyone.   The players don't need the responsibility of someone's job hinging on their results.   The threat of someone losing their job "if".  This way gets things nicely put into place with confidence in what's being done and the roster...which supports these guys much more than...."we'll see".  It's go time.

Jim is doing his job and well.  

The threat of job loss is why it is competitive. 

I don't like moving a first round pick. However,  2020 is protected and 2021 is looked at as normal. If that pick became a top three pick then it would be hard to swallow. 

2020 is very deep.

40 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Why would you keep a GM who can't draft?  He has shown that he can't refill the cupboards with prospects.  Of course the owners would fire him.  

Completely irrelevant and had nothing to do with the firing. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

So because we don't agree with you we're blind and mockworthy?  If the rest of the world mocks us that reflects more on them than us.

I had/have faith in both

Had you stopped here and thought about what you were responding to you would have realised you were done. 

You do agree with me. 

I never said I have no faith in JB. I said he has only done 1/3 of his job. All he has earned is a scouting job at this point. Make him work for results, dont hand it to him when he has proven nothing yet.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?