The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

42 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Why would you keep a GM who can't draft?  He has shown that he can't refill the cupboards with prospects.  Of course the owners would fire him.  

Not only that but gave out too many NT contracts that handcuffed JB as well as ruined relationships with other GM's around the league JB had to repair. He was handed a primed team to win a few Stanely Cups and lost......enough said about this idiot Gillis. Oh and by the way where's he working now?:sadno:

7 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Not only that but gave out too many NT contracts that handcuffed JB as well as ruined relationships with other GM's around the league JB had to repair. He was handed a primed team to win a few Stanely Cups and lost......enough said about this idiot Gillis. Oh and by the way where's he working now?:sadno:

Have you heard of Loui Eriksson? At least mg picked good players who earned their clauses on the Canucks. 

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Seriously people are crying about Gillis and not refilling the prospect pool, after he did his best to get this city a Stanley Cup..... Wow you guys are worse then HFBoards

Doing his best at winning a Stanely Cup in the cap era involves stocking your cupboards for continuous success, Gillis didn't give a sh*t about the future he was selfish and cared about his own resume. If he would have won a cup or two with Vancouver he would have bolted like Burke did in Anahein and left us screwed foe many years to come like the situation we've been in for many years now. Thanks to JB even once we've won a cup or two we'll be stocked in the minors to be able to continue the success and retool instead of having to tear down and rebuild

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you've lost your perspective man. Take a 10 minute break and go for a walk or something. 

not trying to take a dig at you, just think you're going over the top here. 

Classic, someone disagrees and gets told to leave while everyone jumps on board trying to trash the perspective. 

Stay classy canuck fans. Proving my point rather than discrediting me. 

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You people are so blind. 

Gillis was fired for wanting to trade away the core which would have replenished all of the lost picks he used. 

Wah wah Gillis traded away picks to make a cup run and didn't refill the cupboards even though when he tried he got fired. 

Like I said repeatedly, jb has only done 1/3 of his job well. He doesn't deserve an extension until after this season if the progress continues, but he got one so I sure hope it does anyway. 

After coming on here and reading all your posts I never have to wonder why the rest of the world mocks canuck fans like you. Zero respect for the man who took us to game 7, blind faith in a man who has proven nothing. 

Makes me sick. 

Look JB has his shortcomings, as did Gillis and every other GM as well....

But you say Gillis was fired for wanting to trade away our core lol? How do you know this? Cause handing out NTC and NMC to all of the core and even role players like Hansen and Higgins shows otherwise. And the goalie controversy that he created. Gillis crapped the bed towards the end big time.

Gillis did a good job pushing Burkes team over the edge to the finals but then he failed miserably.

Benning has made his fair share of mistakes and handed out some questionable contracts but his drafting is far better than anything Gillis ever did. 

Hes getting better and hes the right man for the job. Take your hater glasses off.

Lol Gillis wanted to trade the core lol... and I want to win the lottery.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Have you heard of Loui Eriksson? At least mg picked good players who earned their clauses on the Canucks. 

Have you ever heard of a GM who bats 100%? Give me a break, LE would have signed for roughly the same term and money some where else and many GM's have misses when signing FA and the LE signing and his lack of everything is LE's fault not JB and most reasonable people understand that. The list of crap Gillis put us through and into doesn't come close to what JB has done for this club. Tell me whats Gillis's legacy in his time here in Vancouver? Anything possitive? Lost the Staney Cup final, loaded the team with No Trade contracts and left our cupboards empty with the exception of Bo who came to us when Gillis screwed up the whole goalie situation. Were not even contenders yet and JB has one of the best legacies in Vancouver History just with his drafting and having the best stocked cupboards.in our teams history. Are we done here?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Classic, someone disagrees and gets told to leave while everyone jumps on board trying to trash the perspective. 

Stay classy canuck fans. Proving my point rather than discrediting me. 

Canuck fans can’t handle the truth and love  to tear down heroes like gillis and linden..

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 4

36 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah like they mistakenly trade first round picks .... right ?

My hope was if the pressure was still on towards the TDL Jim would have found a way to get a first back for the one he traded away. Pressure, you see.

Good way to test Stawns' theory that less pressure produces more results. I'll be happy to be wrong if a pressure-free Jim can get the first rounder back.

Edited by John_Guest

3 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Hypocrite 

I think your describing yourself, trying to prop up Gillis when as you can see on this site the majority of bloggers agree that Gillis was a mistake his tenure was not a good one here, left us with many problems that took time to fix and it shows now that he has no career in the NHL since being fired from the Canucks. I guess thats not going to be good enough for you.

24 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Littlethinger was an absolute no brainer at the time.

Proven scorer, coming to play with the twins. It was a perfect fit.

I can't even recall a single thread on this forum saying WTF?!?!?!? at the time.

It is not Benning's fault the guy has sucked.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

I think your describing yourself, trying to prop up Gillis when as you can see on this site the majority of bloggers agree that Gillis was a mistake his tenure was not a good one here, left us with many problems that took time to fix and it shows now that he has no career in the NHL since being fired from the Canucks. I guess thats not going to be good enough for you.

Early cap era too, things were much different. The old selling the farm for a playoff run, though it still happens, was far more common.

TDL should be renamed TLD for Trade Let Down day.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Canuck fans are allowed various opinions about the clubs management. 

Absolutely!!! But there’s an opinion and then there’s a negative agenda / ignorance! Why no balance in opinion??? I don’t think JB is perfect or everything he does is right, but I can also see the other side of things and it’s def good! Some of you can’t seem to / or don’t want to see the other side of things...negative, negative and more negative. It gets tiring hearing that all the time.....fair? 

• Cheers 3