The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

20 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but you actually make a good point. It reminds me of an old story. Many years ago, an employee at the Ford factory made a huge mistake that cost the company $1 million dollars. He was called to Henry Ford's office. He stood in front of Henry Ford and said "Sir, I understand of course if you want to fire me". Henry Ford scoffed at him... "FIRE YOU? Not a chance! I just invested 1 million dollars in your education!"

Same thing applies here. I think we can all agree, whether you like him or not, Jim Benning has gotten much better as the years go by. If we fire him, another team will scoop him up guaranteed and have themselves a seasoned GM and what will we do then? Who would you hire? It's not like seasoned GM's grow on trees. 

I wasn't being sarcastic. I've said same thing before on this forum. 

JB is an experienced veteran now. Wrong time to fire him. 

Plus stability is important. Let him finish the rebuild. Give him 2 years and see how he builds the roster around this young core. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

I know this has been said before, but Benning has built the best prospect pool/young core this franchise has ever seen, and he has earned the opportunity to see his rebuild through. 

Yah utica was top team last yr in the ahl.   Right ?

oh yah. U prefer dreams / hopes over facts 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

56 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Lol incredible, I am a jb fan. This is the tangent you went on and why i keep telling you that your comments are irrelevant. 

I don't agree with an extension before the season that matters. 

Snap case liberal snowflakes are hilarious. 

So in one hand your saying he’s done 1/3 of things right and hasn’t done enough to deserve the extension, and on the other hand your saying your a fan...how does that work?  It’s like admitting your ok with incredibly low standards (which you’ve admitted to many times in your defense of MG) - but on the other hand saying it’s not good enough and we should hire someone else.  Whatever is going on in your head is a comedic dichotomy.    Love it - now I understand your posts. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, IBatch said:

So in one hand your saying he’s done 1/3 of things right and hasn’t done enough to deserve the extension, and on the other hand your saying your a fan...how does that work?  It’s like admitting your ok with incredibly low standards (which you’ve admitted to many times in your defense of MG) - but on the other hand saying it’s not good enough and we should hire someone else.  Whatever is going on in your head is a comedic dichotomy.    Love it - now I understand your posts. 

Right! It’s unreal! I call him on it and then says I didn’t say that. Holy moly!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah utica was top team last yr in the ahl.   Right ?

oh yah. U prefer dreams / hopes over facts 

I think AHL is quite similar to the NHL when it comes to winning.  It’s most often the veterans who lead the teams in the AHL to their success.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think AHL is quite similar to the NHL when it comes to winning.  It’s most often the veterans who lead the teams in the AHL to their success.  

I agree 

but what young guys on utica do u see as  transitionning to the canucks longterm 

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why because i consider our ahl club / farm team as the best team of of future prospects / indicator of our clubs prospecy depth 

Three of our top 5 prospects were all on the NHL roster at one point last year but go ahead with your narrative. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I agree 

but what young guys on utica do u see as  transitionning to the canucks longterm 

King, of our top 10 prospects under 22 how many were on the Comets last season!   OJ, and he was playing injured, right? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree 

OJ for me is the only guy I see as a future Canuck from last season’s U22 Comets.  Did I miss someone?  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a rebuild.  Making the playoffs can kill a rebuild.  We got Podkolzin and Hoglander in rounds one and two this last draft.  Those two will be coming along just when some of our support guys are demanding more money than we can afford.  

Having more picks certainly increases a team's odds at selecting good players but at the end of the day true success is really determined by the key players chosen (i.e. the core). Most of the teams that have had Cup success over the last decade or so have had two key forwards, one offensive stud on D, and competent goaltending. Chicago with Toews/Kane/Keith, Pit with Crosby/Malkin/Letang, LA with Kopitar/Carter/Doughty, etc.

The real debate in my opinion is do people think that EP40, Bo/Boeser, and Hughes are at this level. For me, I think the core group has the skill and drive to be successful so why not extend their window to win as long as possible? I have no problem with adding legit support pieces around the core group and seeing what they can do...trades, moves, draft selections, etc. still need to be rationale and focused on the long-term but risk is required to win.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1