Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why because i consider our ahl club / farm team as the best team of of future prospects / indicator of our clubs prospecy depth 

no because our best prospect are on the team already  dummy

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So is that +3 including the option or on top?  In any case, he has at least 3 more years from now, plenty of time to see his work come to fruition.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

It’s funny how Gillis gets a pass because he was chasing a cup when he misses on Booth or Ballard or Kassian or Pahlsson but JB going after a young former 3OA in Gudbranson during a rebuild (which Guddy could have been a part of) is somehow egregious.  I don’t actually blame Gillis for most of those moves, because most of them made sense at the time.  It’s just funny how JB generally doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt on a lot of his moves.  

Guddy, of course, reminding us of Willie Mitchell who Gillis let walk upon his acquisition of Ballard.. who cost Grabner (STILL scoring 27 goals in 17/18 and on pace for 18 last year) PLUS a first round pick.... not to mention likely a cup.)

Again, I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to paint Gillis under this light... but that’s exactly what JB detractors do on a daily basis. 

"Replacing" Naslund with Demitra gets forgotten too.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

OJ for me is the only guy I see as a future Canuck from last season’s U22 Comets.  Did I miss someone?  

At forward, I could see Jasek filling a Hansen role and still think Lind is legit (although he has to put in the work). 

At D, I like Rafferty and still have a lot of faith in Brisebois being a later bloomer (as he has been at most levels).

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah utica was top team last yr in the ahl.   Right ?

oh yah. U prefer dreams / hopes over facts 

Not a good team in Utica last year.  They signed a couple of high scoring AHL players  with size to support the Canucks prospects.

They should be a better team this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brownky said:

"Replacing" Naslund with Demitra gets forgotten too.

I liked Demitra while he was here but there was no reason to let Naslund walk and retire with the Rangers. I’m sure that didn’t sit well with some fans, especially ones who were here during the 94 run.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Completely irrelevant and had nothing to do with the firing. 

Why would it be irrelevant?  You need to be able to draft as a GM to get better prospects to make the team better or to use those prospects to gain better trades.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

why pretend to be so confused   , when our best prospect are on the team  or in college  or overseas  they aren't all in Utica  did petey brock or hughes go to Utica ? no   they developed overseas and in college    so try again   mr negative 

This has been pointed out to him about 53478 times in numerous threads... If he hasn't figured it out yet...

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ for me is the only guy I see as a future Canuck from last season’s U22 Comets.  Did I miss someone?  

zack McEwen  oj  gaudette , this year u have teves  rafferty   lind  gadovich? mostly 2nd rounders and below  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, the grinder said:

zack McEwen  oj  gaudette , this year u have teves  rafferty   lind  gadovich? mostly 2nd rounders and below  

Demko also played most of his year down there...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This has been pointed out to him about 53478 times in numerous threads... If he hasn't figured it out yet...

lol im just trying put him on the sidelines like loungo

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, the grinder said:

lol im just trying put him on the sidelines like loungo

Tortuous fella, is that you?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The correct term is arrogant.  It says, "I know how much players should sign for and what moves I'd make, and could accomplish them all because for me things operate in a vacuum.  And even if it's all in hindsight, I am the standard of what a successful NHL GM would be."

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trying to keep discussion civil/non combative :lol:

I think even more apt though might simply be: 'naive and severely lacking context'.

Far too many people coming to highly reductive conclusions devoid of any context. Like your say, as though managing a hockey team happens in a vacuum, under perfectly ideal conditions, at all times.

Benning hasn't REMOTELY had ideal conditions at pretty much any point here and yet somehow has actually appeared to accomplish the vast majority of a rebuild with what appears to be a solid young core and a pretty nice (and unprecedented for this organization) haul of complimentary youth coming up behind them AND an increasingly solid supporting cast around them, in what is a comparatively short 5'ish years.

If that doesn't deserve an extension...

You're both right, imo, vacuumly speaking of course.