The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I haven’t been much of a fan of Benning, but I’d rather have him as GM than Gillis, no matter the scenario. 

JB - the Silver linings playbook GM. 

“All part of the plan” lol all of it, especially picking EP at #5 with a cap team. 

I don’t care one way or another about this news. Expectations are different now and if needed, JB will be replaced, which is inevitable, unless you’re a Ken Holland, and even then... 

No more sissy hockey. It took house money to buy this team some character and toughness, not managerial prowess. Hardly exec of the year work, but it did suit my needs as a fan perfectly so I’m happy.

I just didn’t see the need to do this now, but suspect the PR team had something to say concerning capitalizing on the enthusiasm the fanbase is experiencing right now with this signing. Personally, spending house money to bridge gaps made in the rebuild process isn’t something I’d reward, let alone before the product was even tested. 

For me, this news news confirms that Aquaman believes JB has listened and done what he’s been told to as GM. The news also makes me rethink Linden’s tenure here, given there appears to have been a disconnect, possibly in strategic planning. Linden, the human bug-deflector for the re-thingy in all of this, errr, Plan. 

Mostly pretty much bang on...

I like JB, and I do like the team, he has build. We now look like, we are able to stand up to the bullies in the league as well as go toe to toe with the skilled teams. It remains to be seen, if the team can live up to the billing, but the possibility is certainly there.

And of course there has to be a certain connection as well as agreement between the GM and the owners of the way forward. 

After all they pay the bills...

The fact they extend him now have two purposes. Firstly a show of appreciation towards Benning for having done the job, he set out to do, and secondly to buy into the excitement of the fans... Positive vibes sells tickets...

This doesn't change the fact that Aquilini can get rid of Benning at any time, if he should choose to do so. In management everyone gets replaced eventually.... 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Classic, someone disagrees and gets told to leave while everyone jumps on board trying to trash the perspective. 

Stay classy canuck fans. Proving my point rather than discrediting me. 

no one's discrediting you, I'm not anyway. 

You want to continue having a hissy fit, by all means continue. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jetliner said:

There's no doubt JB has drafted talented players, but I wouldn't consider JB has done a "good job", since we haven't made the playoffs since 2014-2015. Hence why it may be more prudent for aquaman to have waited to see how the season goes before dishing out the contract

And swimmers should get 'fired' for not keeping dry I suppose.

9 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

So now I get to listen to the morning guys on 650 go on about how JB only has what ? 4 years to show he can stop making mistakes, poor trades, poorer Free Agency and JUST ok drafting lol.

Love that he is getting extended and will continue to shape the Canucks moving forward for the foreseeable future.

Oh, man I'm sorry to hear that 650 is doing the same type of coverage as 1040;  I was just about to switch to 650 after giving up on TSN radio. :(

2 hours ago, Jetliner said:

I agree, a rebuild does take time

Perhaps Aquaman is extending now to get JB for cheaper, vs if the canucks season does indeed go well, then JB's value may go up. like a FA? 

It's a pretty standard business practice throughout the league, either the GM has a new contract or assured one is coming. Doesn't guarantee anything, the GM will still be fired at will if the team is terrible. It's not our money or affects the salary cap so who cares how much the owner has to pay if he fires the GM. I don't know if you remember Burke with an expiring contract and no renewal in sight... started saying to the media he was a "lame duck gm" lol and he was!

11 hours ago, Pears said:

I know this has been said before, but Benning has built the best prospect pool/young core this franchise has ever seen, and he has earned the opportunity to see his rebuild through. 

It can’t be said often enough...

spot on. 

• Cheers 3

Meh. 

“It is what it is.” He’s a very average gm at all aspects. We could do worse and we could do better. 

It doesn’t change if the cap crunched team flounders as Many think it  will he won’t survive another failure.

would have like to see the young all star Boeser signed and treated like a priority instead of bottom  pair d and plugs ufas. 

Doesn't do much to build loyalty when none is shown. 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Fine with me. If we don't make the playoffs he'll be fired at the end of this season anyways, management has no problem cutting lose ends. This way we ensure he makes no hasty decisions to save his neck mid season. 

Disagree that he would be fired if they don't make the playoffs. We have been progressing and last year we were out of the playoffs by something like 8 points. We are a bubble wild card team next year, but have made some decent moves to hopefully push us over the top, but not necessarily guaranteed. We are simply needing to fight for a wild card spot this year and if we don't make it, then so be it. We advance more next year and should hopefully make it by then. The Miller deal involving the 1st seems to indicate this mindset so we are protected this year and so is Benning's job. If Benning is fired after this season, something drastic would've happened.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Meh. 

“It is what it is.” He’s a very average gm at all aspects. We could do worse and we could do better. 

It doesn’t change if the cap crunched team flounders as Many think it  will he won’t survive another failure.

would have like to see the young all star Boeser signed and treated like a priority instead of bottom  pair d and plugs ufas. 

Doesn't do much to build loyalty when none is shown. 

Average GM?! Really! Boeser not a priority?! Really! I highly recommend doing some research on the history of the Canucks (other teams), Canucks GMs (other GMs) & contract negotiations!!! Because this post reeks of being ill informed!! Nothing Jim or the team is doing is average or wrong...maybe not perfect, but not average or wrong. Go compare Jim to other GMs throughout history and go compare Boesers negotiations to other negotiations throughout history, then maybe you’ll really understand how things are / work! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

The fact that you dont understand how a re build is done and that you will miss the playoffs to achieve it is what drives people here nuts. A team in a rebuild that missed the playoffs four years in a row is not indicative of how the GM performed. How long it takes him to get the team back into the playoffs with a decent team is. 4 years is not a long time. Your constant argument that they were at the bottom of the league for 4 years is moot. 

Detroit drafted first overall a few years in a row before the hit Yzerman. Quebec was 5 in a row at last in the league. Their GM's were not  bad they just hadn't put the pieces together yet.

The results are not just in the wins and losses. They are in the constant improvement of the team and the players brought in to improve. sitting back and reading he box scores each day doesnt make you an expert.

It’s like beating a dead horse with him.....I argued (along with many others) all day yesterday and nothing!! I’ve never seen such a stubborn, ignorant, negative person in my life. Then, he starts playing the victim the last few pages. Exhausting!!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2