The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Alflives said:

Podz will certainly repeatedly punch Tkatchuk in the head. Podz has a really nasty side to his game, which I like - A LOT.  

I wonder if JB knew about this nastiness before he drafted Podz.  It’s on thing to be skilled, but adding nasty makes a very good player, a great player.  

He's got a serious Ovechkin side, with a healthy dose of snarl. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

The fact he had a Duchene to trade already means he had more to work with than Benning. Kesler was by far our best trade chip and we only had two teams he’d accept a trade to. Also Sakic had a MacKinnon and a Landeskog to build around when he officially became GM which was after the 12/13 season I believe. We just had Bo when Benning signed on. 

Good point.  I’d like to add that Sakic was getting the JB treatment the entire time he sat on Duchene (over a year and a half since it became known Duchene wanted out)  - was heavily criticized for doing nothing - then became a hero and received all sorts of good press about how patient he was and how good of a return it was.   Of course the world waited to see if that chip became Hughes or Kakko, poor Sakic all he got was Byram (who with Makar could be the next Suter - Weber routine soon enough).   After winning a round (an upset too) COL now looks to be the next powerhouse in the West.  Unfortunately for him and all the other teams including us he’s waiting for Point or Marner to sign to set the market for Rantanen (over a PPG and playoff hero) - an AHO like deal  is likely what he will face.  Good thing they have McKinnon locked under the former RFA type deals (I really really hate Dubas he had an opportunity to re-set things - instead he’s paying AM like a top 3 guy in the league  until free agency where he will likely add a few more brinks trucks in his bank account, and a very average star in Nylander more money then McKinnon) but in the end COL face their own CHI like problems once Makar and Byram get paid...and they need a second line center on their long term wish list (Horvat for Byram anyone ?).   Under the new cap (star RFAS getting third contract money) every single team in the league is going to have holes somewhere.  CAL has  goaltending - otherwise they’d be a juggernaut.  NSH has offense issues - SJ has holes all over the place and TO has to win now or they likely won’t with their core, defense will be worse this year - but Barrie and OReilly will get their points. ... and on and on except for TB.  They have no holes.  Because they have the extra cash with no state taxes and have made the most of it.   Kucherov at 9.5 is one of the best contracts in hockey right now.. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Watch out for the Russian locomotive. 

The Russian Forward version of Lionel Conacher? (He was a defenseman nicknamed "The Big Train" back in the 30s).

Like it happened to many coaches and GM in the past, many have been fired right after signing such an extension.  I believe that will be the case with Benning if Canucks don't make the playoffs this year.   The reason for the extension is that it's not popular practice to let a coach or GM run out their last year of contract.  If the Canucks breakout this year, Benning would have all the leverage in negociation. 

While Benning is securing his future by adding three more years to his contracts, at the same time, the Owners are telling him, we're not giving you another five-year plan to rebuild this team, future is now.  We need to see results soon.

I like the contract for both the Canucks and Benning.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I believe Benning has 2 years to get the Canucks back to the playoffs. If he does it this year, great. If he fails to get the team in by 2021, he'll be gone. I have faith they'll get in though. I see no reason to let Benning go anyway. He's done a masterful job in rebuilding the roster and prospect pool. Let's keep this train a rollin'!  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Podz will certainly repeatedly punch Tkatchuk in the head. Podz has a really nasty side to his game, which I like - A LOT.  

I wonder if JB knew about this nastiness before he drafted Podz.  It’s on thing to be skilled, but adding nasty makes a very good player, a great player.  

Great post

hoping he is our nasty top liner we have been looking for- reminds me more of a shanahan or messier, big, mean, two way, fingers crossed he can be the anti-tkachuk 

tryamkin, poldkozin, Roussell, beags, Miller, Ferland, Benn- we should be very hard to play against esp in 2 yrs.

with any luck- JV and Meyers can get nasty knowing they will have ample back up.

Last time we were hard to play against in a nasty way was 1994 and maybe 2011 with burr, Torres, kes, bieksa but more of a hard to play against due to skill way.

but that 94 team was nasty and that’s what we need. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but he also had Booth at 4.75 - both him and Ballard were his two buy-outs from last lock-outs freebies.  One thing about AF he sure doesn’t mind spending the money - at the time (within one year) he bought out MG, Torts, Booth, Ballard and took on part of Luongo salary which he’s still paying 9 million on over the next three years - a MG cap circumvention attempt that the league warned against but he did anyways (and one last MG mistake that’s holding the current team back).  

Just for fun google MG and see all the articles that’s pop up of what sort of mess he turned the team into starting from 2013 and continuing for years afterwards.  Hockey writers get it as do most fans.   Personally I can forgive him, he went all in and did what he could to give the team a cup and we came very close to just that.   As far as Maholtras final contract he made 2.5 with a NTC, and the cap was 56-60 million during the duration, would work out to about what we just signed Ferland for in today’s dollars.   

Agreed Sutter is too expensive - at least 1 million and that’s if he plays and also why most proposals (and there are many) have the retention in them.  But compared to LE he looks pretty good ha ha.   Beagles is fine - one year too many though and so far Rousell earned every cent.   LEs the only real bummer - factually about the same as well - Ballard and Booth in percentage of cap.  So MG had TWO LEs to deal with.

Also back to MG - at the time both Edlers and Keslers contracts were thought to be too expensive, didn’t take long for Keslers to look good, and after a while Edlers too.  Think people forget what other comparables were making back then (better defenseman making less and Kesler was getting more then some first line centres before he even broke out).  

That said MG was an expert at getting players to sign for fair-good deals, by the use of clauses.  Burrows had the best deal on the team but got his pay-cheque too with his next deal....but he also had his albatrosses too.

Booth came after 2011. 

I wouldnt call Luongo's contract a mistake. It allowed us the cap space to add the extra pieces we needed to build the team we had. If Luongo signed a normal deal at fair market he wouldve been making more than 5.3.

I don't recall Kesler or Edlers deals being expensive. Kesler had back to back 70 pts years. Edler had just shy of 50 & was seen as on the rise. Both were good deals for the club.

Everyone has a different opinion of MG & that regime, just like this current one. He & LG did a really good job on contracts overall imo. Better than Benning pretty easily I'd say. Both regimes have pros & cons. Like drafting as the opposite example.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1