The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

I don't think the Canucks' qualified Hutton, so he's not a RFA like Goldy is.

Hutty wasn't qualified, he's a UFA now. There's just no room for Hutty either, roster or cap wise. I suspect he'll pick up a show-me contract, 1 year 1 mil per somewhere. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Hutty wasn't qualified, he's a UFA now. There's just no room for Hutty either, roster or cap wise. I suspect he'll pick up a show-me contract, 1 year 1 mil per somewhere. 

PTO for Hutton.  He’s 26.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

God in Heaven.  If we could get Tryamkin back for this season, how awesome would that be?  

Edler Myers

Tree Hughes

Tanev 

I see Tree getting a big signing bonus as the KHL season closes. A chance to double or triple this years income, as the leveragel that redelivers this behemoth defender to our team.

Just in time to join the team for a play off drive!

Instead of trading for a rental...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Good on FA for allowing JB to see through his plan, a plan that is obviously working. I love that this won't be a distraction this year, and JB can continue to focus on creating an elite team again. With all the elite prospects he's brought in, I'd say he's a GM that we'll have for many years to come. 

In Benning I Trust.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I see Tree getting a big signing bonus as the KHL season closes. A chance to double or triple this years income, as the leveragel that redelivers this behemoth defender to our team.

Just in time to join the team for a play off drive!

Instead of trading for a rental...

Oh crap, how awesome would that be?  Could we sneak Podz over too?  How about adding Tree and Podz in March?  

• Like 1

Benning has deserved his new contract, he has been getting better in my opinion every year. Great signings this offseason, but that JT Miller move was still pretty horrible seeing as we could have had Nyquist for free instead and how stacked the 2020 draft is. Hopefully he learns from it and continues to improve.  

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

PTO for Hutton.  He’s 26.  

you know it might get to that. I heard someone on the wire, 650 maybe? can't quite recall, that he did have some 1 year offers but was waiting for better offers. Dunno, I can't see any GM not playing hardball with him at this point. Get a guy for cheap desperate to prove himself, someones going to take him but no ones giving him 3+ mil per. 

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Just listened to Benning's presser about his extension. There was like 3-4 questions back to back about "getting some help in the front office" or a President of hockey ops. These idiots still probably think he's bad at free agent signings and trades. Then I read the comment section and seen fans commenting about how he is bad at trades and free agent signings. Youtube is just as bad as Twitter at this point.

he did say there were some moves in the office tho, I wonder if Brackett is going to get a promotion? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he did say there were some moves in the office tho, I wonder if Brackett is going to get a promotion? 

He did say there were some promotions going around that they should be announcing in the coming weeks. Still felt off putting they way they kept saying he needed help. Maybe I am just a narcissist and I am assuming the media has ill-intent with their repeating that same question.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He did say there were some promotions going around that they should be announcing in the coming weeks. Still felt off putting they way they kept saying he needed help. Maybe I am just a narcissist and I am assuming the media has ill-intent with their repeating that same question.

Herpa Dim-Jim derp!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

thats the tell for the story they want to put out vs what Jims actually saying. Cue the "Benning needs help" stories. I'm sure he'd like some, and he's probably going to build that from within with guys he trusts. Should be interesting to see the new roles and titles.

I did find the LTIR comment interesting relating to cap compliance... i wonder if there's more than just Roussel on that list. I wonder if Sutter is still on the mend? 

10 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Miller >>>>> 1st,3rd, Mazanec, Nyquist

Nyquist would not of worked on this team at all imo

2020 draft will be comparable to 2015, Boeser, Barzal, Chabot, Kyle Connor were all drafted by playoff teams that year. Nyquist scored 60 points last year.

Nice evaluation though....

Edited by Bure_Pavel

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Benning has deserved his new contract, he has been getting better in my opinion every year. Great signings this offseason, but that JT Miller move was still pretty horrible seeing as we could have had Nyquist for free instead and how stacked the 2020 draft is. Hopefully he learns from it and continues to improve.  

I don't think this is quite fair, as JT Miller is younger, cheaper, and an overall better player than Nyquist is at this point. Not to mention the physicality and durability that JT Miller brings to the lineup. The ability to play all 3 forward positions is a huge plus and should play a significant role in pulling is through when the injury bug hits. God forbid one of Horvat or Petey go down for a significant amount of time, we now have someone that can fill in for them. Had we signed Nyquist instead, we'd have to throw Sutter into a top 6 role if one of Horvat or Petey went down, and I think we all know how that would turn out. 

The age is a pretty significant factor as well. Nyquist is about to turn 30, and is just entering the first year of his new four year contract with a cap hit of 5.5 mill per season. By the final year of that contract Nyquist will be 34 years old and I suspect will be a less effective player than he is now. There's a relatively strong possibility that his contract becomes a bit of an anchor, while I think it's pretty safe to say that Miller, who only just turned 26, is probably going to be able to keep up his level of play for the remaining 4 years of his contract with a cap hit of 5.25 mill per season. 

I'm not saying that the difference between the players is worth a mid 1st rd pick (honestly, if presented with the 2 scenarios, I'd probably sign Nyquist to retain the 1st at the expense of Miller as well), but there is a significant difference between Miller and Nyquist that shouldn't be ignored. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Just listened to Benning's presser about his extension. There was like 3-4 questions back to back about "getting some help in the front office" or a President of hockey ops. These idiots still probably think he's bad at free agent signings and trades. Then I read the comment section and seen fans commenting about how he is bad at trades and free agent signings. Youtube is just as bad as Twitter at this point.

People can have opinions / not like everything he’s done, but it’s beyond me why the media / some fans can’t give him credit where credit is due. If he was perfect / won a cup, they still wouldn’t. It’s nuts!!! Do they follow any other GMs / teams...it’s like they live in a bubble.  

• Cheers 3