The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

There was an interview with Sutter where he said he's ready to go for camp and working out. I believe it was this one:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-program/brandon-sutter-nice-see-different-mindset-team-going-season/

LOL, Pretty sure there was a similar interview with Sam Gagner last year?  :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

LOL, Pretty sure there was a similar interview with Sam Gagner last year?  :ph34r:

Not sure what your point is. They were wondering if Sutter was healthy (potentially a LTIR candidate) and Sutter was saying he's healthy.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

This is Button take on Jim's Extension.   Watch both video clips.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/canucks-sign-gm-benning-to-three-year-extension~1758338

Nice endorsement by Button

But TSN wraps by saying that 4 years is the longest playoff drought in team history.  What about other teams who have had daunting rebuilds......Buffalo Sabres missed 8 years in a row.....Edmonton Oilers missed 10 in a row and 12 of last 13 seasons.....let's not set our hair on fire :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

But TSN wraps by saying that 4 years is the longest playoff drought in team history.  What about other teams who have had daunting rebuilds......Buffalo Sabres missed 8 years in a row.....Edmonton Oilers missed 10 in a row and 12 of last 13 seasons.....let's not set our hair on fire :lol:

This! Plus, how they don’t understand those things go hand in hand is crazy!! 

Edited by IRR
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

@Bure_Pavel

There are some good points in there but the stat comparison is inaccurate, Nyquist played for two teams last season. He had more GP, more assists, and more points. The difference between the two players does not justify the first though.   

Nyquist also produced more of his points 5 v 5

Edited by Bure_Pavel

8 hours ago, the grinder said:

oh they have a plan for Loui alright   Benning basically said yep there is going to be lots of competition  for positions  and if you don't preform  that going effect playing time and ice time  , plus there is going to be very hard decisions to send players to Utica  after training camp   , Benning  also said Travis green is real excited for more competition  for all position      

I read that as loui showing up to camp and if he f isn't going to work hard  and compete   ,see ya in Utica   training camp  is loui,s  last chance

Well... honestly, besides the fact that the $6M cap hit is such an eye sore, Loui isn't gonna get any worse than an effective 2-way 4th liner + PKer.... he'll beat out Motte and Schaller for a FT 4th line spot, sadly!

Sending him down to Utica only saves us $900k of cap space and we are still struggling to sign Boeser...  :(

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

So were Senyshyn, Juulsen etc. We also might not be giving up a 2020 pick. We could also add a first back. You're getting pissed off at a story that isn't even written yet.

I would trust Judd Brackett to make a good pick in that range, and be there will be some very good players in the 16-20 spots (potential first liners and top 3 D men)

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, missing the playoffs consistently is such a good reason for an extension..  amirite ?

Which previous years did you expect us to make the playoffs? Bennings job is to build a true contender that can compete for years. So far he has done a pretty good job. Sure he's made some mistakes, but any new GM is going to have growing pains. What's important is he's learned and he's much better now

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

You think that's ugly, you should go look at the Jets/Thrashers record. Gee, I wonder why they've been such a deep team...? :rolleyes:

Jets missed 5 of 6 years until the 17/18 season and the Thrashers had missed 10 of 11 before that! That's 15 of 17 years without playoffs as an organization :sick: The people whining about Benning's record DURING A REBUILD should note how grass can be a LOT more brown on the other side of the fence too.

25 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Well... honestly, besides the fact that the $6M cap hit is such an eye sore, Loui isn't gonna get any worse than an effective 2-way 4th liner + PKer.... he'll beat out Motte and Schaller for a FT 4th line spot, sadly!

Sending him down to Utica only saves us $900k of cap space and we are still struggling to sign Boeser...  :(

It's actually just over a $1m now FYI ;)

Don't see him beating Motte (and I'm not even counting Schaller). And no, I'm not saying Motte is technically a better player but I do think he's a better 4th liner who brings a much needed skill set, work ethic and play style that the coach loves. Motte's also younger, cheaper and doesn't come with any of the drama Loui will.

IMO, Loui's only shot is outplaying Leivo and even then, Leivo arguably outperformed him in a fill-in top 6 role and is also, like Motte, younger, cheaper, less drama and a more valuable asset to the organization moving forward.

Both younger players are FAR more likely to be lost on waivers as well (and hence less likely to be waived). Loui is better defensively though, so at least he's got that going for him. That or he has to hope for more trades/injuries.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Benning has deserved his new contract, he has been getting better in my opinion every year. Great signings this offseason, but that JT Miller move was still pretty horrible seeing as we could have had Nyquist for free instead and how stacked the 2020 draft is. Hopefully he learns from it and continues to improve.  

Given the difference in their size, age, versatility, physicality, etc., no reasonable person would consider these two players to be comparable. Yes, one would be cheaper than the other (to acquire, but not to own).

But when you are embarking on a long road trip and you need new tires, choosing the cheapest possible retreads/recaps instead of buying good quality tires to keep you safe would be an extremely shortsighted penny wise pound foolish choice. As would be picking up the cheapest player rather than the best player.

And the fact that the reason you would prefer to cheap out is so you can use the savings to buy lottery tickets doesn't make it a prudent choice.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Given the difference in their size, age, versatility, physicality, etc., no reasonable person would consider these two players to be comparable. Yes, one would be cheaper than the other (to acquire, but not to own).

But when you are embarking on a long road trip and you need new tires, choosing the cheapest possible retreads/recaps instead of buying good quality tires to keep you safe would be an extremely shortsighted penny wise pound foolish choice. As would be picking up the cheapest player rather than the best player.

And the fact that the reason you would prefer to cheap out is so you can use the savings to buy lottery tickets doesn't make it a prudent choice.

I really like Nyquist's game and 60 points last season isnt exactly a worn out tire. A mid first round pick is not the same a ticket for 6/49 either, little better chance of striking gold. The main highlight of our organization over the past three years has been our drafting, organizations who play to their strengths usually enjoy long term success.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

9 hours ago, the grinder said:

oh they have a plan for Loui alright   Benning basically said yep there is going to be lots of competition  for positions  and if you don't preform  that going effect playing time and ice time  , plus there is going to be very hard decisions to send players to Utica  after training camp   , Benning  also said Travis green is real excited for more competition  for all position      

I read that as loui showing up to camp and if he f isn't going to work hard  and compete   ,see ya in Utica   training camp  is loui,s  last chance

The rule change that stopped a  under performing player from being sent down and performing player on the farm from coming up to play hurt the game of hockey and fans, (It only benefits under performing veterans) and takes away from always creating competetition

Wouldn't it be great to send down someone who isn't doing the job to motivate them by riding the bus and appreciating the big show more for someone who will do what it takes

That creates competition all year, not just to make the team 

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

The rule change that stopped a  under performing player from being sent down and performing player on the farm from coming up to play hurt the game of hockey and fans, (It only benefits under performing veterans) and takes away from always creating competetition

Wouldn't it be great to send down someone who isn't doing the job to motivate them by riding the bus and appreciating the big show more for someone who will do what it takes

That creates competition all year, not just to make the team 

There’s a rule we can’t send Loui down?  I know there are waivers the player needs to clear first, but (I’m certain) Loui would clear.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

(There’s a rule we can’t send Loui down?  I know there are waivers the player needs to clear first, but (I’m certain) Loui would clear.  

No Alf

I just meant where you could just send a  underperforming player down to motivate him (without exposing each one ) and reward someone on the team who is performing, It would make players on the team happier to, knowing that everyone is pulling their weight too I am sure

Maybe give the option to a team to demote and protect and some unprotected

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a fan of what MG did too our team but his NTC served a purpose at the time as the former players agent negotiated below low market value contracts; think AB's for $2 mil in exchange for NTC's.

BB will not get a new contract anytime soon.  The players are looking to be paid UFA dollars at the RFA level.  None of the NHL owner's are going to want to cave for this.

They will want entry level contracts to remain.  BB will only play at the play at the start of the season if he lowers his ask from full UFA number to the old RFA numbers.