The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Guys like Miller and Ferland bring what this team needs which is grit along with skill. Hughes and Pettersen aren't exactly bruisers so need a bit of help in that area, the team will have all sorts of skill sets and be able to play in any type of game you want. There are a bunch of gritty guys now on the team which will be great when playoff hockey comes around which is a lot tougher than the regular season. While I do wish they could have kept the 1st round pick I'm on board with them identifying their core, supporting them and moving ahead when they are still young so they can learn to win in the playoffs. You honestly don't know what can happen when they get in, in fairly recent times Pittsburgh and Chicago won their first cups with a very young core group so who knows how it will all shake down in the next few years?

43 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Except he is not playing on a stacked SJS squad where he got 11 points in 19 regular season games.  11 points in 20 playoff games aswell.

His playoff totals are 55 games played 19 points. With detroit 35gp 8 points. 

His career average points wise is about 45 if you remove 18/19 season.

Lol what was nyquist traded for at the deadline? 2 and a 3rd.

Be wary of 30 yearold swedes signing deals after a career year, we already have one in vancouver.

Career year points wise and he cashes in with CBJ.

Career year as a 30 y/o with a stint on a cup finalist, he will not produce 60 points again.

If van never traded for miller and instead signed nyquist we would be kicking ourselves about this deal shortly down the road.

Miller is over .5ppg in reg season and almost .5 ppg in the playoffs, where it matters most.

Nyquist had 8 points in 35 with det in the 

playoffs, less then .25 ppg

Sjs paid a 2nd and a 3rd for a rental of nyquist and vancouver got miller for a 1st and 3rd with term who is younger and a better player. 

Miller - nyquist is a poor comparison. Miller is way more physical ...

Can not use a career year as a metric, escpecially when he jumped 15 points over his career average. Stacked sjs, contract year.

He was on pace for 60 points on Detroit too before he got traded, and they are in no way a stacked team. Miller has not been much better in the playoffs, he has three career goals in the playoffs. Nyquist is 0.35 pts/gm in playoff Miller is 0.43 pts/game on better teams. Nyquist also had a season where he was on pace for 69 points and a 54 point season with 27 goals. Not saying Nyquist is better but they are both good 2nd line wingers with close value.  

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He was on pace for 60 points on Detroit too before he got traded, and they are in no way a stacked team. Miller has not been much better in the playoffs, he has three career goals in the playoffs. Nyquist is 0.35 pts/gm in playoff Miller is 0.43 pts/game on better teams. Nyquist also had a season where he was on pace for 69 points and a 54 point season with 27 goals. Not saying Nyquist is better but they are both good 2nd line wingers with close value.  

Fair points,

Would you rather...

j.t. miller for 1st, 3rd and Mazanec

Or

Nyquist for a 1st, 3rd and Mazanec?

MILLER OBVIOUSLY AS NYQUIST IS NOT WORTH THAT MUCH!

:bigblush:

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Fair points,

Would you rather...

j.t. miller for 1st, 3rd and Mazanec

Or

Nyquist for a 1st, 3rd and Mazanec?

MILLER OBVIOUSLY AS NYQUIST IS NOT WORTH THAT MUCH!

:bigblush:

Obviously JT Miller due to his versatility and grit, but I think that 1st could turn out to be more valuable than either of them is my issue. Would have liked to take a swing at a top pairing Dman with that pick instead if it turns out to be in 2020. 

Finally got around to listening to that JB interview... he seemed a lot more relaxed and confident than in the past.  Don’t blame him - brand new deal plus a tidy offseason so far.  

I like that he brought up Tryamkin in there... the future sure is intriguing with him and Pod on the horizon. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

You think that's ugly, you should go look at the Jets/Thrashers record. Gee, I wonder why they've been such a deep team...? :rolleyes:

Jets missed 5 of 6 years until the 17/18 season and the Thrashers had missed 10 of 11 before that! That's 15 of 17 years without playoffs as an organization :sick: The people whining about Benning's record DURING A REBUILD should note how grass can be a LOT more brown on the other side of the fence too.

It's actually just over a $1m now FYI ;)

Don't see him beating Motte (and I'm not even counting Schaller). And no, I'm not saying Motte is technically a better player but I do think he's a better 4th liner who brings a much needed skill set, work ethic and play style that the coach loves. Motte's also younger, cheaper and doesn't come with any of the drama Loui will.

IMO, Loui's only shot is outplaying Leivo and even then, Leivo arguably outperformed him in a fill-in top 6 role and is also, like Motte, younger, cheaper, less drama and a more valuable asset to the organization moving forward.

Both younger players are FAR more likely to be lost on waivers as well (and hence less likely to be waived). Loui is better defensively though, so at least he's got that going for him. That or he has to hope for more trades/injuries.

You'd rather have a less effective player on the 4th line? It's like logic doesn't matter to some people. Oh well.

21 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

You'd rather have a less effective player on the 4th line? It's like logic doesn't matter to some people. Oh well.

Motte's a more effective 4th liner IMO. He just less versatile further up the lineup.

And I hate to break it to you but roster decisions aren't 100% about who the better player is, asset management does come in to play. Waive Loui and we still have him available should we need him. Waive Motte/Leivo and we lose young, cheap organizational depth/assets.

And it's not like there's a vast chasm in quality between these players. Age related decline will become ever more of an issue with Loui and both Motte and Leivo are young enough to keep improving.

Sometimes it's about a better top to bottom organization vs NHL team, over time when it's this close.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Guys like Miller and Ferland bring what this team needs which is grit along with skill. Hughes and Pettersen aren't exactly bruisers so need a bit of help in that area, the team will have all sorts of skill sets and be able to play in any type of game you want. There are a bunch of gritty guys now on the team which will be great when playoff hockey comes around which is a lot tougher than the regular season. While I do wish they could have kept the 1st round pick I'm on board with them identifying their core, supporting them and moving ahead when they are still young so they can learn to win in the playoffs. You honestly don't know what can happen when they get in, in fairly recent times Pittsburgh and Chicago won their first cups with a very young core group so who knows how it will all shake down in the next few years?

Ferlands 3 goals in 20 playoff games..

Millers 3 goals in 61 playoff games.

Not looking wonderfull how both of these guys have performed in all important PLayoffs.....  

Surprising to see.  I would have though both would have excelled in the more physical playoffs...

This is a bit concerning...

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not looking wonderfull how both of these guys have performed in all important PLayoffs.....  

Surprising to see.  I would have though both would have excelled in the more physical playoffs...

Ferland also single handedly beat us the last time we were in the playoffs - pounded or 7th best regular season team into the ground.   Since then he’s also developed a scoring touch - hopefully he gets the chance to use it soon (absolutely zero problem with this signing - now we have two guys that feed off messing with other team (Roussel is the other, he also did a great job his first year with us).  JT Miller is a puck hound and a playmaker - hope he plays with Horvat that line would be hard  to play against.    

Matt Larkin from THN picked us as the next team that hasn’t won the cup in a long time to do it soon...over teams like TO...(they got a lot of votes though)...think once we make the show this new team has the ability to punish guys - something that’s been missing since the WCE era...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Ferland also single handedly beat us the last time we were in the playoffs - pounded or 7th best regular season team into the ground.   Since then he’s also developed a scoring touch - hopefully he gets the chance to use it soon (absolutely zero problem with this signing - now we have two guys that feed off messing with other team (Roussel is the other, he also did a great job his first year with us).  JT Miller is a puck hound and a playmaker - hope he plays with Horvat that line would be hard  to play against.    

Matt Larkin from THN picked us as the next team that hasn’t won the cup in a long time to do it soon...over teams like TO...(they got a lot of votes though)...think once we make the show this new team has the ability to punish guys - something that’s been missing since the WCE era...

Funny how our club went from targetting small skill... now to targeting bigger / grittier guys to play against....

I have always wanted a club built for playoff hockey... especially how 2011 played out....

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

When did Larkin say that?

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When did Larkin say that?

In this years THN Ultimate Pool Guide - page twelve in response to a question to the senior writers ... six guys one Vancouver- nice to see.  They also all didn’t include Vancouver in Canadian teams making the playoffs this year - ha ha.  Nice thing is nobody answered Vancouver as a bottom three team either.   Twenty questions and 120 answers - Vancouver was in three of them - the other two were which starting goaltender won’t be the number one by the end of the year - two picked Markstrom, one of them was Larkin again. Nobody had Hughes as the Calder winner.  Five Makars one Kakko - have to agree they are the front runners - with Barrie gone Makar will be their PP guy and should pile up the points - and Kakko gets to play with Pannarin and Zinbad who as a first time number one Center for a whole season managed almost 75 points with little help.  But hey at least one guy is paying attention - next long time no cups team - Vancouver 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why are you ignoring my posts?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IRR said:

Because he keeps posting charts for days on end about missing the playoffs the last few years even though we’re rebuilding...about as sharp as a spoon! 

I remember now, he did the same thing about ignoring facts so i serenaded him with del shannon, y"know to show he is loved :wub:

Don't runaway from this love tryst kingofsurrey, please I'm begging you don't runaway..

• Haha 1