The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

44 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Colorado is much farther ahead than us, we havent even made the playoffs yet. They got past the first round last year, and are among the favourites out of the west to compete for the Stanley Cup this year. This still have over $15 million in cap space and no bad contracts on the books as well (still have to resign Rantanen).

I don't like Colorado's depth at forward or their goalies... grubauer and francouz will not get colorado a cup.

Colorado has 7 forwards under 200lbs, 4 forwards 6"1 or better. Not built for a deep run.

Not sold on Kamenev,Nichuskin.

Barberio and connaughton as 5 / 6 reminds me of when delzotto gudbranson hutton and pouliot were dressed last year.

I really think Colorado will take a step back.

Also swapping out Soderberg and Barrie to add kadri... soderberg imo is very underrated.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So my answer to the trade question is Gudbranson for Pearson, pretty easily.

Just moving Gudbranson without retaining was a success, but getting Pearson back (assuming he continues to play well here) is a home-run.

My 2nd choice would probably be Bieksa for a 2nd. It was good value for a player who had already begun to decline. Its too bad they never ended up using the pick.

Baertschi for 2nd (R. Andersson) wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing either. It was fair value given up. Andersson looks like a really nice young defender for Calgary. If given the opportunity to have a mulligan & have Andersson instead you might do that.

Leivo was a great trade, but he's not significant enough a player for it to be the best.

JT Miller trade is still up in air. And it, kinda like Sven, was fair value going both ways. Ultimately still TBD how it turns out.

I’ve said before that JB really needs to knock a trade (or FA signing) out of the park to really toss some gasoline on the rebuild.  He may have already made that move depending on how it all shakes down this season.  

I agree that Pearson could very well be that move - if he’s a gritty 20-30 goal winger for Horvat then that’s the home run I was looking for.  He even killed some penalties for us last season.  He’s been kind of lost in all the hype but there’s some real potential for that to be a crucial move.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I don't like Colorado's depth at forward or their goalies... grubauer and francouz will not get colorado a cup.

Colorado has 7 forwards under 200lbs, 4 forwards 6"1 or better. Not built for a deep run.

Not sold on Kamenev,Nichuskin.

Barberio and connaughton as 5 / 6 reminds me of when delzotto gudbranson hutton and pouliot were dressed last year.

I really think Colorado will take a step back.

Also swapping out Soderberg and Barrie to add kadri... soderberg imo is very underrated.

I agree Goaltending is an area where they really need an upgrade. Connor Timmins and Byram are on their way for Dmen though. and I see at least one of Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Compher, or Kamenev breaking out to become a top 6 winger.  Giving them a second line of Jost - Kadri - ???, with Newhook joining the mix in a couple years. They have way better scoring depth coming into this year. Makar and Quinn Hughes will probably be challenging for the calder this year as well. 

30 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’ve said before that JB really needs to knock a trade (or FA signing) out of the park to really toss some gasoline on the rebuild.  He may have already made that move depending on how it all shakes down this season.  

I agree that Pearson could very well be that move - if he’s a gritty 20-30 goal winger for Horvat then that’s the home run I was looking for.  He even killed some penalties for us last season.  He’s been kind of lost in all the hype but there’s some real potential for that to be a crucial move.

I'm fine with Pearson being a middle 6 15-20 goal guy that PKs a bit and simply plays a physical game. Pretty much like a Chris Higgins. Surely if he's got real chemistry with Bo and hits 20-30 goals, then it would be amazing, but I wouldn't be disappointed if not. He looked to decline last year for whatever reason over two teams, so my expectations aren't too high. We dumped an extra year of cap on that trade, so that alone was an added benefit to the deal.

A big trade is really just a legacy builder. It certainly helps a team, but I don't think it is crucial in building a Cup contender/winner. Nonis got Luongo for a declining Bertuzzi and no one thinks Nonis is any good as a GM, but he will always have that trade to his name.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I agree Goaltending is an area where they really need an upgrade. Connor Timmins and Byram are on their way for Dmen though. and I see at least one of Burakovsky, Nichushkin, Compher, or Kamenev breaking out to become a top 6 winger.  Giving them a second line of Jost - Kadri - ???, with Newhook joining the mix in a couple years. They have way better scoring depth coming into this year. Makar and Quinn Hughes will probably be challenging for the calder this year as well. 

Nichuskin with 0 goals last year....

Also the chemistry has been messed with, barrie out soderberg out, in comes nichuskin, kadri( I want ferkie to kill) and burakovsky.

Yes i get a stiffy from Colorado's d prospects...

Makar, girard, byram, Zadorov, timmins, meloche, anderson...

Quinn over Makar for calder!

8 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Nichuskin with 0 goals last year....

Also the chemistry has been messed with, barrie out soderberg out, in comes nichuskin, kadri( I want ferkie to kill) and burakovsky.

Yes i get a stiffy from Colorado's d prospects...

Makar, girard, byram, Zadorov, timmins, meloche, anderson...

Quinn over Makar for calder!

I wouldn't be that worried about chemistry, as long as their top line keeps dominating like last year. Mackinnon and Landeskog are great leaders and team guys as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

A big trade is really just a legacy builder. It certainly helps a team, but I don't think it is crucial in building a Cup contender/winner. Nonis got Luongo for a declining Bertuzzi and no one thinks Nonis is any good as a GM, but he will always have that trade to his name.

I think Nonis was pretty good for refusing to take the rumoured Brad Richards trade.  It likely cost him his job, but saved the future of the franchise.  Sometimes the moves you don't make are more valuable than the ones you do.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I could say that we have Juolevi and Woo on their way as dmen (along with Rathbone and potentially Tryamkin). One of Pearson, Virtanen or Goldobin could break out in a big way. Assuming our top line is Miller-EP-BB, then we have a 2nd line of potentially Pearson-Horvat-Ferland (or Baertschi , Virtanen and even maybe Goldobin), with Podkolzin/Hoglander joining the mix in a couple of years. And exactly, Hughes and Makar could be competing for the Calder this year.

They lost Barrie on defense and are banking on the rookie Makar to do well. We have added Myers and Benn and also a hot rookie in Hughes, so our defense has actually been upgraded. They looked ahead last season for sure, but we have closed that gap in a big way just from this offseason.

A lot of what ifs, but a lot can be said about our team as well on those same what ifs. Sure they have one of the hottest lines in the league, but their goaltending is potentially weak and we have Markstrom and Demko should one or the other falter (they have Francouz). That top line might power them through a few more wins (we will see how EP progresses and benefits his entire line), but I can't see how they are much further ahead than we are.

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I could say that we have Juolevi and Woo on their way as dmen (along with Rathbone and potentially Tryamkin). One of Pearson, Virtanen or Goldobin could break out in a big way. Assuming our top line is Miller-EP-BB, then we have a 2nd line of potentially Pearson-Horvat-Ferland (or Baertschi , Virtanen and even maybe Goldobin), with Podkolzin/Hoglander joining the mix in a couple of years. And exactly, Hughes and Makar could be competing for the Calder this year.

They lost Barrie on defense and are banking on the rookie Makar to do well. We have added Myers and Benn and also a hot rookie in Hughes, so our defense has actually been upgraded. They looked ahead last season for sure, but we have closed that gap in a big way just from this offseason.

A lot of what ifs, but a lot can be said about our team as well on those same what ifs. Sure they have one of the hottest lines in the league, but their goaltending is potentially weak and we have Markstrom and Demko should one or the other falter (they have Francouz). That top line might power them through a few more wins (we will see how EP progresses and benefits his entire line), but I can't see how they are much further ahead than we are.

Unfortunately for us Byram is in a different hemisphere than Juolevi or Woo. Byram - Makar will be an unbelievable top pairing for years. Petey need a couple more years to mature before he is potential at Mackinnon's level. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Unfortunately for us Byram is in a different hemisphere than Juolevi or Woo. Byram - Makar will be an unbelievable top pairing for years. Petey need a couple more years to mature before he is potential at Mackinnon's level. 

Makar can’t play without the puck.  He’s a D man, who without the puck, is horrendous.  Byram is a very good player in all aspects of the game.  OJ and Woo are different types of players than Makar and Byram.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Makar can’t play without the puck.  He’s a D man, who without the puck, is horrendous.  Byram is a very good player in all aspects of the game.  OJ and Woo are different types of players than Makar and Byram.  

We exclaim WOO-HOO!

Colorado say: Who's Woo?

Debate in haiku

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We will see if a pairing of Byram and Makar will actually be a formidable pairing. We don't know Byram's future because all it takes is an injury or whatever to derail the progression (not that I wish that to happen, but it has delayed Juolevi). If Petey needs a couple of years to reach MacKinnon type potential, then how about Makar and Byram? There are a lot of what ifs on both teams for both to be successful, so I don't see why they're viewed as highly as they are. I'm not saying they're not ahead of us, but they've also suffered longer than us to get to where they are and aren't that far ahead IMO. Benning has made us close the gap on Colorado, but that doesn't make us contenders either, but that's because I don't think the Avs are Cup favourites at this point.

3 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I agree, I don't think he's made that move yet. But its something I've thought aswell.

Like when Gillis brought in Ehrhoff. It was a homerun took our offense & PP to a new level. That's the kind of move I'm thinking for Benning, something that could bring that kind of impact to this team. 

Pearson could be a good scorer in our middle 6, but I think his impact is closer to a Higgins than a Ehrhoff. He's a good addition but I don't think he's quite that 'out of the park' move we are talking about. 

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I think Nonis was pretty good for refusing to take the rumoured Brad Richards trade.  It likely cost him his job, but saved the future of the franchise.  Sometimes the moves you don't make are more valuable than the ones you do.

Fair enough. Not to the same extent, but Benning not trading Hamhuis for whatever benefitted the team's future in that he didn't get lowballed the following TDL.

Could you remind me of this rumour, like who was potentially involved? I can't seem to recall at the moment.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Fair enough. Not to the same extent, but Benning not trading Hamhuis for whatever benefitted the team's future in that he didn't get lowballed the following TDL.

Could you remind me of this rumour, like who was potentially involved? I can't seem to recall at the moment.

IIRC

It was a package of Kesler, Bourdon, Schneider, and Raymond

All for Brad Richards. 

I’m happy Nonis stood pat on that one. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

IIRC

All for Brad Richards. 

I'm still mad at brian burke for fudging the canucks over on the hedman trade!

Wasn't that hedman for burrows & bieksa?

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

IIRC

All for Brad Richards. 

I've also seen Kesler, Edler, and Schneider.  Either way, our great seasons that followed don't happen if that trade gets made.

• Cheers 1