The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I heard this part live and would like to comment.  

Benning said that since Hutton had played so many minutes when Edler was injured etc that if they made a qualifying offer to Hutton and it went to arbitration, Hutton would have been up for big money.  This is not news to anybody but this was exactly Bennings thought process.  They would have had to pay him much more than they thought he was worth.  He went on to say that they thought he was a good kid and a good player but at a large number, he wasn't a fit.  Essentially, not qualifying Hutton was 100% a business decision.

Reading between the lines then, they didn't see him as a top 4 D.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Makar can’t play without the puck.  He’s a D man, who without the puck, is horrendous.  Byram is a very good player in all aspects of the game.  OJ and Woo are different types of players than Makar and Byram.  

Yes I think Hughes is an overall better Dman than Makar but we will see.  Colorado has Zadorov, Girard, Makar and Byram, very formidable.  But we have Hughes, Tryamkin, Juolevi and Woo.  Also very formidable.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I think Hughes is an overall better Dman than Makar but we will see.  Colorado has Zadorov, Girard, Makar and Byram, very formidable.  But we have Hughes, Tryamkin, Juolevi and Woo.  Also very formidable.  

Wait, wait WAIT!.......you wish we had Tryamkin.  

So do I......lol

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm fine with Pearson being a middle 6 15-20 goal guy that PKs a bit and simply plays a physical game. Pretty much like a Chris Higgins. Surely if he's got real chemistry with Bo and hits 20-30 goals, then it would be amazing, but I wouldn't be disappointed if not. He looked to decline last year for whatever reason over two teams, so my expectations aren't too high. We dumped an extra year of cap on that trade, so that alone was an added benefit to the deal.

A big trade is really just a legacy builder. It certainly helps a team, but I don't think it is crucial in building a Cup contender/winner. Nonis got Luongo for a declining Bertuzzi and no one thinks Nonis is any good as a GM, but he will always have that trade to his name.

JB is working along at an excellent rate bringing in star players via the draft... but at a certain point it’d be nice to add a core piece via trade or FA to speed things up a bit.  Luongo is a great example of a trade that really bumped the Canucks into that true contender conversation.  I’m not saying it’s easy, but a home run on the trade front would go a long way with the current core. 

Pearson certainly doesn’t NEED to be a home run to be an effective player: a Higgins type would be very welcome.  But damn wouldn’t it be nice if he kept that 30-ish goal pace he and Bo we’re on last season?  That’s the type of emergence that rockets us from “contenders for a playoff spot” to straight up contenders. 

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree, I don't think he's made that move yet. But its something I've thought aswell.

Like when Gillis brought in Ehrhoff. It was a homerun took our offense & PP to a new level. That's the kind of move I'm thinking for Benning, something that could bring that kind of impact to this team. 

Pearson could be a good scorer in our middle 6, but I think his impact is closer to a Higgins than a Ehrhoff. He's a good addition but I don't think he's quite that 'out of the park' move we are talking about. 

Yeah, that Ehrhoff-type move is exactly what I’m thinking would be the icing on the cake for this group.  Pearson aside; Miller, Ferland or Myers could all have various career-year potential as well this season as they should all be put in positions to put up points.  Just one of those guys exceeding expectations changes the complexion of this team.

I think it gets easier to make this kind of move as the team’s overall talent level improves: no new additions are being asked to be the saviour.  Guys will be getting a boost from playing with Petey, Brock, Bo and Quinn. 

At least that’s what I’m hoping!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wow Benning compared Pettersson to Gretzky

Gretzky compared Pettersson to himself

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks-elias-pettersson-sidney-crosby/

RE: The Benning interview -

Looks like Loui and possibly Goldy will be on board, and when our glorious Russian leader Tryamkin comes back, we will have quite the full bench. Well I mean, not when we have injuries, which is literally always, but still.

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I heard this part live and would like to comment.  

Benning said that since Hutton had played so many minutes when Edler was injured etc that if they made a qualifying offer to Hutton and it went to arbitration, Hutton would have been up for big money.  This is not news to anybody but this was exactly Bennings thought process.  They would have had to pay him much more than they thought he was worth.  He went on to say that they thought he was a good kid and a good player but at a large number, he wasn't a fit.  Essentially, not qualifying Hutton was 100% a business decision.

Reading between the lines then, they didn't see him as a top 4 D.  

and he said yes, they tried to move him at the TDL.  And still a FA.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Apples to oranges? 

Not a lot on Proven NHL experience there on our side

Also we don't have Tree in the organization at the time

9 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Gretzky compared Pettersson to himself

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks-elias-pettersson-sidney-crosby/

RE: The Benning interview -

Looks like Loui and possibly Goldy will be on board, and when our glorious Russian leader Tryamkin comes back, we will have quite the full bench. Well I mean, not when we have injuries, which is literally always, but still.

I know. A little more surprised to hear his own GM make that comp. Special kid.

• Upvote 1