The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I remember Wisebrod saying, after this last draft, they felt getting Hoglander was like having two first round picks.  

Yes I remember that too.  He was a first round pick that dropped to the second round most likely because of his size.  But unlike little Johnny, Hoglander is built like a truck and hits like one too.  His size will not be a problem in the NHL.  He was an absolute steal in the second round and Podkolzin was highway robbery at #10.  Wait until people see Podkolzin in the NHL.  He may turn out even better than Hughes or Kakko.  Podkolzin is also built like a truck and hits like one too.  His game is perfect for the NHL as well as Hoglander.  I'm actually pumped to see these guys in the lineup.  Play them with BO, Petey and Brock and oh my, we may have a dynasty on our hands really.  Don't forget Madden as well.  He has star written all over him. 

We have some of the most exciting prospects in the entire NHL.  And I haven't even talked about Hughes.  This guy is going to transform our defence.  Some on here are going to be shocked at this team in a couple of years.  It's going to be a powerhouse for many years to come.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Tanev could fetch a  2nd if he was healthy all season which is about 99 % not likely....

Sutter could fetch half a roll of sock tape and 4 old chipped / beat up practice pucks.....

If Canucks fans over value Tanev I think they undervalue Sutter. 

Whether he might return a first or not I don’t know But I think he’s more well thought of around the league than he is with Canucks fans. 

• Cheers 2

From Pass it to Bulis:

It’s not unusual for teams to not have a President of Hockey Operations or to blend that job with the role of General Manager. It’s also not unusual for teams to have just one Assistant General Manager. Having no President and just one Assistant GM does make the Canucks a little more lean than most teams, particularly Canadian teams and big market American teams.

The team has, however, spent more in other areas, like amateur scouting, with more changes soon to be announced.

“We've made some changes that we're going to announce here, we’ve got to still sign some guys to contracts,” said Benning. “And I'm hoping to have an announcement in a couple weeks about some of the moves we've made and the changes we've made within our hockey ops department.”

That could include officially announcing Chris Higgins' role, as he's been reported to be joining the team in a player development role, as well as adding more scouts, as several have left for other job openings in the NHL.

"We've made some changes in our amateur scouting staff, I think to continue to get better and do a better job in the later rounds and we'll announce those changes here in a couple weeks," said Benning. "And with Scott Walker leaving, we're going to replace him with what we feel is a real good replacement."

"Some of our guys got promotions in other organizations and got to move up in management positions," he added. "So we're happy for those guys that left and got better opportunities, and I think it's a feather in our cap that we're doing things the right way and other teams have taken notice and have hired some of our people."

Those changes likely won’t touch the upper reaches of the front office, however.

“I have an excellent supporting staff with John Weisbrod, Chris Gear, Jonathan Wall, Stan Smyl’s in the office and we talk to him on a daily basis,” said Benning. “So I feel comfortable with the group that we have.”

When asked about the lean team at the end of the season, Benning pointed to Doug Jarvis, whose official role is Senior Advisor to the coaching staff.

“We have a lot of people in place and a lot of people behind the scenes,” said Benning. “Doug Jarvis as an example. He does a lot of work for us with our big team here, he’s a sounding board for me, the coaches. He goes down to Utica two weekends over the course of the winter and watches them play and reports back to me what’s going on down there.”

IMO, spending on scouting is a much smarter move than spending on management.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Stelar said:

Haven’t stopped laughing at the fact that someone said Tanev or Sutter could fetch a first :frantic:

If Tanev can stay healthy to the deadline and play the way he can, he could get a late first in 2020, for sure in 2021.

51 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

If Canucks fans over value Tanev I think they undervalue Sutter. 

Whether he might return a first or not I don’t know But I think he’s more well thought of around the league than he is with Canucks fans. 

Sutter is where pucks go to die........

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sutter is where pucks go to die........

Clearly you slept through Dorsett’s hot start before retiring, as he was on Sutter’s wing and scored 7 goals in twenty games on pace for a career best 28 goal season. 

When healthy Sutter averages around 15+ assists per year in a shutdown role. The Sutter is where pucks go to die is a myth made up by people who lack understanding of a 200ft game. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

If Tanev can stay healthy to the deadline and play the way he can, he could get a late first in 2020, for sure in 2021.

Bro, neither Sutter or Tanev will get anything other than maybe a second. Dream on man. 

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Clearly you slept through Dorsett’s hot start before retiring, as he was on Sutter’s wing and scored 7 goals in twenty games on pace for a career best 28 goal season. 

When healthy Sutter averages around 15+ assists per year in a shutdown role. The Sutter is where pucks go to die is a myth made up by people who lack understanding of a 200ft game. 

Sutter has played 11 years and has 125 assists....

17 assists combined over his last 2 years....

Cleary, Math is not your strong point......

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Surrey is...

Actually, never mind

Too easy.

Surrey is....... 

Canada's fastest growing city as it is so POPULAR.....  Why ... ?   because it is so beautiful.   Personally, i love crescent beach area..... 

Even Canucks management team members tend to live in beautiful south surrey...

I am looking forward to when the Canucks build a new arena in Surrey and play all their home games in Surrey... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Surrey is....... 

Canada's fastest growing city as it is so POPULAR.....  Why ... ?   because it is so beautiful.   Personally, i love crescent beach area..... 

I am looking forward to when the Canucks build a new arena in Surrey and play all their home games in Surrey... 

Hahahaha

Ahhh

Stick to your guns, Surrey...

Lol

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Surrey is....... 

Cloverdale is the hidden gem of Surrey though. Not kidding, I lived there for 20 years.

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sutter has played 11 years and has 125 assists....

17 assists combined over his last 2 years....

Cleary, Math is not your strong point......

Comprehension isn't yours as I said AROUND 15 the + to qualify the 2 seasons he's had more than 15 assists...

One was a rookie season, one was a lockout shortened season, 2 he was injured for around 60 games. So saying 11 seasons is disingenuous. 

No one is saying he’s Adam Oates. But saying he's where pucks go to die is dumb. He can and has produced at the NHL level. 

He’s had 5 15+ assist seasons and one season each of 12 and 13 respectively. 

The seasons he had less were his rookie season: 5 

The lockout shortened season: 8 which he was on pace for 14 assists

Then his injury shortened seasons of 26 and 20gp respectively where he had 4 and 2 assists. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Hahahaha

Ahhh

Stick to your guns, Surrey...

Lol

Surrey's biggest problem is that it is too beautiful.   Too many people moving here.

Surrey is like the smoking hot girl in highschool....  everybody wants just to be around her/Surrey....

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

No one is saying he’s Adam Oates. 

Not s.... shirlock....  15 assists in total the last 2 years.... 

Foundational player  - yah right.......  

He made 8.5 million for his 15 assists.....   so i guess he and his agent deserve some accolades....

• Wat 2

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Surrey's biggest problem is that it is too beautiful.   Too many people moving here.

Surrey is like the smoking hot girl in highschool....  everybody wants just to be around her/Surrey....

Sure

Just killing each other for a spot

People are dying to live there

Worth killing your family for

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Not s.... shirlock....  15 assists in total the last 2 years.... 

Foundational player  - yah right.......  

He made 8.5 million for his 15 assists.....   so i guess he and his agent deserve some accolades....

HE

IS

NOT

PAID

TO 

SCORE

edit: Also laughable how bad you missed the mark on what Benning meant by foundational. Hint: it doesn't have anything to do with scoring...

Edited by canuck73_3