The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospect Pool still ranked Top Ten in NHL at #8 by Sporting News

AV's Coin

This is the year when Benning's work will really start to show.

The Utica roster is almost completely full of young players acquired by Benning and the roster has been thoroughly turned over. Now that some of the holes in the NHL roster are filled we can see the later draft picks and undrafted signings grow in Utica and we'll have proper replacement players rather than a bunch of plugs signed year to year.

Really excited to see Virtanen take another step forward this year with another off-season of training. Gotta think he's coming into camp hungry in a contract year and with all the new forward depth (competition).

Juolevi and Lind having a full healthy year will do wonders for their stock as well and remind some why they were picked.

Not a lot of talk about Rafferty, Teves, Sautner, or any of the other young and likely Utica-bound defensemen but that's a solid crop of guys to build with, with Woo and Rathbone coming in next year. Rafferty really impressed me with his short NHL stint and could be a Tanev replacement sooner than later.

Excited for both teams to get their seasons started already! Too many ways it could play out but this year I have high hopes for Gaudette and MacEwen. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No idea why Pronman thinks Utunen's a dud. I personally like him more than Rathbone, who he had at 15th

"

William P.
What about Toni Utunen? Is he still considered as a prospect at this point? Thought he might be a good pick in the 5th round last year

Corey Pronman

@William P. I think he's a good junior. Great sense and compete, but don't see the mobility or skill at his size for the pros.

"

18 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

This is the year when Benning's work will really start to show.

The Utica roster is almost completely full of young players acquired by Benning and the roster has been thoroughly turned over. Now that some of the holes in the NHL roster are filled we can see the later draft picks and undrafted signings grow in Utica and we'll have proper replacement players rather than a bunch of plugs signed year to year.

Really excited to see Virtanen take another step forward this year with another off-season of training. Gotta think he's coming into camp hungry in a contract year and with all the new forward depth (competition).

Juolevi and Lind having a full healthy year will do wonders for their stock as well and remind some why they were picked.

Not a lot of talk about Rafferty, Teves, Sautner, or any of the other young and likely Utica-bound defensemen but that's a solid crop of guys to build with, with Woo and Rathbone coming in next year. Rafferty really impressed me with his short NHL stint and could be a Tanev replacement sooner than later.

Excited for both teams to get their seasons started already! Too many ways it could play out but this year I have high hopes for Gaudette and MacEwen. 

Here we are ...a team that didn't even come close to making the playoffs last year ( due to injuries mostly) and yet we have so much depth now that I can see us taking the record for most players plucked off the waiver wire to start a season...!

What if Gaudette and Juolevi play lights out...it will be another Stetcher situation, they will still have to get sent down until injury recall happens or we will lose some

good players....

Even at that we might have to try to send Goldy and Motte down even if we send Erikkson down as well ...we have a plethora of NHL players and a couple of should be in

the NHL guys in Oli and Zack.

Best case scenario...Erikkson takes a dive for the team and goes on the LTIR before retiring altogether.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

No idea why Pronman thinks Utunen's a dud. I personally like him more than Rathbone, who he had at 15th

"

William P.
What about Toni Utunen? Is he still considered as a prospect at this point? Thought he might be a good pick in the 5th round last year

Corey Pronman

@William P. I think he's a good junior. Great sense and compete, but don't see the mobility or skill at his size for the pros.

"

I don't think Utunen is a dud, but Rathbone I think will be the better dman. He's going to be out of Fox's shadow now and I think he's going to get noticed more this season. Utunen might be a late bloomer type though that will shine through later though, so a couple of years in Utica if he's willing and he could be a regular contributor.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I don't think Utunen is a dud, but Rathbone I think will be the better dman. He's going to be out of Fox's shadow now and I think he's going to get noticed more this season. Utunen might be a late bloomer type though that will shine through later though, so a couple of years in Utica if he's willing and he could be a regular contributor.

I mean I thought Rathbone was low as well. Currently I'd have him higher than Lind and MacEwen. Don't know enough about Perron to properly rate him, but I wouldn't think he'd be higher than either 2 of those defensemen for me either.

Just now, Psycho_Path said:

I mean I thought Rathbone was low as well. Currently I'd have him higher than Lind and MacEwen. Don't know enough about Perron to properly rate him, but I wouldn't think he'd be higher than either 2 of those defensemen for me either.

I guess it depends on the criteria of the ranking. Perron is more likely to see NHL games at this point. He's basically Goldobin V2.0 FWIW. I didn't read the rankings, so I'm not sure if he mentioned what his criteria was though.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:05 AM, Timråfan said:

It's bad if Utica has such a cooch. Nepotism? 

People tend to forget that almost every great prospect doesn't go through Utica. Except for maybe goalies. 

They wanted Rocky Thompson, but had to settle for Trent Cull after Vegas Knights signed Rocky to coach their farm team in Chicago.

Utica should be stacked this year so we'll see how it goes with Cull and a stable full of horses.
It just feels like there aren't enough eyes and ears on the guys running the team down there, and that's never good.