The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospect Pool still ranked Top Ten in NHL at #8 by Sporting News

AV's Coin

5 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

After graduating Petterson and Gaudette we fall from #3 to #8. Not bad!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-farm-system-rankings-best-worst-prospect-pipelines-for-2019-20-from-1-to-31/nqetpe1bdimp1ao3xl52v0hd0

8. Vancouver Canucks

2018-19 rank: 3rd
Key additions: Nils Hoglander (RW), Vasily Podkolzin (RW)
Graduated: Adam Gaudette (C), Elias Pettersson (C)
Traded/not signed: Matt Brassard (RHD), Jonathan Dahlen (LW, SJS), Kristoffer Gunnarsson (LHD)

Jim Benning's plan to beef up his organization with speed and skill continues to achieve benchmarks, as the Canucks not only received a Calder Trophy-winning season from electrifying 2017 first-round pick Elias Pettersson but now have playmaking puck rusher Quinn Hughes ready to challenge for a full-time role and his own hardware. Vancouver added a bulldog of a competitor in Russian-trained winger Vasily Podkolzin, who was the 10th pick in June although he likely stays overseas for at least another season.

Benning and staff also scooped up feisty forward Nils Hoglander from Sweden and speedy center Tyler Madden from Northeastern who tied for fourth in freshman scoring in Hockey East. This group, along with two stud goalie prospects, Thatcher Demko and Michael DiPietro, represent a sizable chunk of the organization's future, one that already includes established NHL producers like Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser. Now that the nucleus has formed, the Canucks can patiently follow the progress of an impressive tier of potential point-producing defensemen like Olli Juolevi, Toni Utunen, Jett Woo, and Jack Rathbone.

PROSPECT POS. 2019-20 TEAM (Proj.) ACQUIRED
1. Quinn Hughes LHD Vancouver (NHL) 1st/2018
2. Vasily Podkolzin RW SKA-Neva (VHL) 1st/2019
3. Thatcher Demko G Vancouver (NHL) 2nd/2014
4. Nils Hoglander RW Rogle (SHL) 2nd/2019
5. Jett Woo RHD Calgary (WHL) 2nd/2018
6. Michael DiPietro G Utica (AHL) 3rd/2017
7. Olli Juolevi LHD Utica (AHL) 1st/2016
8. Tyler Madden C Northeastern (HE) 3rd/2018
9. Jack Rathbone LHD Harvard (ECAC) 4th/2017
10. Toni Utunen LHD Tappara (SM-Liiga)

Wow...no sign of Kole Lind...

Kole will be surprising a lot of the experts this year....when he does, I wonder what that would do to the team's prospect rankings...

I think Juolevi’s getting a bit shafted here. Dude was on pace for a 50+ point season before his injury. I think he starts in Utica, but I also think he’s going to surprise a lot of people this year and get a shot down the stretch.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 years from now will be a very interesting time for the Canucks- Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, Dipietro should all be ready for the NHL, then with guys like Woo, Lind, Gadjo, we will know if they will be nhl calibre players, miller, Pearson, Ferland, JV, Horvat, will be in their prime, Hughes, Boeser and EP will just be entering their prime, and we will know what we have in Tryamkin, and in our goaltending situation, so in think the 2021-2022 season will be huge for us, the beginning of the crest of the next wave.

Edited by Canucks Curse

3 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

The future is now!

Also, there's a key Canuck that may even be the future captain that's not on that list there..

3151783.png&w=350&h=254

:emot-parrot:

Can this future captain string two sentences together in english yet?

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2019 at 5:39 PM, Fred65 said:

When fans keep indulging themselves about Vcr Prospects we'll need to keep this in mind ….. there are 8 teams according to this with a better list  ::D

Fair enough but my experience is that what prognosticators prognosticate is seldom gospel. This part of the business is fraught with wild swings of opinion so eighth might really turn out to be nineteenth or it could mean third.

Edited by zimmy
  • Cheers 1

Also from Sporting News, two Canucks prospects in the top 50:

12. Quinn Hughes, D, Vancouver Canucks

2018 draft: First round, seventh overall

Much like younger brother Jack, Quinn is a phenomenal skater and playmaker - albeit from the blueline rather than center ice. He was a Hobey Baker finalist for Michigan before ending his college career early so he could appear in a handful of games late last season for the Canucks. At a minimum, Hughes will be starting the season in Vancouver and should be given every opportunity to quarterback a power play that already features 2019 Calder Trophy winner Elias Pettersson and sniper Brock Boeser.

15. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, Vancouver Canucks

2019 draft: First round, 10th overall

"Russian Factor" or not, Vancouver made the proper decision by taking a top-10 talent within the first 10 picks of the 2019 draft. Podkolzin's intensity, abrasiveness and domination of the puck are his most talked-about attributes; however, his game-breaking abilities are not to be slept on. Several nagging injuries and a grueling pre-draft schedule that covered seven international tournaments and all three Russian leagues combined led to a dip in late-season production, but he remains an absolute menace to compete against - with star potential to boot.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

When fans keep indulging themselves about Vcr Prospects we'll need to keep this in mind ….. there are 8 teams according to this with a better list  ::D

Actually 7 teams, but why not use some creative math to make the team seem a little worse, right?

• Haha 2

I suspect our pool will take a plummet next year once Hughes & Demko are graduated, but that's what you want.

Some decent depth forming. As Lind / Gadjovich / Dahlen move down (or out) Hoglander & Madden reinforce things. Both those guys should play. I like Ethan Keppen & Toni Utunen too as later rounders. Both have the makings of quality supporting players lower down your lineup. 

6 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

He and Podkolzin (and goldy if he's still kicking around) can take ESL classes on off-days lol

Pods already studies English.  He takes classes three days a week.  

When I heard that he takes English classes i thought even higher of him.  Pods is kind of like Petey.  He seems to identify a need to make himself better, and then works super hard to attain it.  Super high compete guy for sure. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Pods already studies English.  He takes classes three days a week.  

When I heard that he takes English classes i thought even higher of him.  Pods is kind of like Petey.  He seems to identify a need to make himself better, and then works super hard to attain it.  Super high compete guy for sure. 

This was great news to hear when I head it.

I was skeptical of the pick at first but after reading more about Podz I am confident in his willingness and ability to come over in two years and wreck shop.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed with some others who mentioned getting a stud D-man (preferably a right-hander IMO) to really have the icing on the cake.  

Forwards/ wings I think we are good (Hoglander/ Madden/ Podkolzin, plus it's probably still too early to write off Lind and Gadjovich), and left D we are pretty set (Hughes, Juolevi, Utunen is quietly solid) but right side we really only have Woo(!!).  Another minute muncher would be great, hope we could find another gem (with the pick in the year that we don't send to Tampa for Miller).

Hopefully soon, it will take at least 4 years of development also probably longer. 

17 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

After graduating Petterson and Gaudette we fall from #3 to #8. Not bad!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-farm-system-rankings-best-worst-prospect-pipelines-for-2019-20-from-1-to-31/nqetpe1bdimp1ao3xl52v0hd0

8. Vancouver Canucks

2018-19 rank: 3rd
Key additions: Nils Hoglander (RW), Vasily Podkolzin (RW)
Graduated: Adam Gaudette (C), Elias Pettersson (C)
Traded/not signed: Matt Brassard (RHD), Jonathan Dahlen (LW, SJS), Kristoffer Gunnarsson (LHD)

Jim Benning's plan to beef up his organization with speed and skill continues to achieve benchmarks, as the Canucks not only received a Calder Trophy-winning season from electrifying 2017 first-round pick Elias Pettersson but now have playmaking puck rusher Quinn Hughes ready to challenge for a full-time role and his own hardware. Vancouver added a bulldog of a competitor in Russian-trained winger Vasily Podkolzin, who was the 10th pick in June although he likely stays overseas for at least another season.

Benning and staff also scooped up feisty forward Nils Hoglander from Sweden and speedy center Tyler Madden from Northeastern who tied for fourth in freshman scoring in Hockey East. This group, along with two stud goalie prospects, Thatcher Demko and Michael DiPietro, represent a sizable chunk of the organization's future, one that already includes established NHL producers like Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser. Now that the nucleus has formed, the Canucks can patiently follow the progress of an impressive tier of potential point-producing defensemen like Olli Juolevi, Toni Utunen, Jett Woo, and Jack Rathbone.

PROSPECT POS. 2019-20 TEAM (Proj.) ACQUIRED
1. Quinn Hughes LHD Vancouver (NHL) 1st/2018
2. Vasily Podkolzin RW SKA-Neva (VHL) 1st/2019
3. Thatcher Demko G Vancouver (NHL) 2nd/2014
4. Nils Hoglander RW Rogle (SHL) 2nd/2019
5. Jett Woo RHD Calgary (WHL) 2nd/2018
6. Michael DiPietro G Utica (AHL) 3rd/2017
7. Olli Juolevi LHD Utica (AHL) 1st/2016
8. Tyler Madden C Northeastern (HE) 3rd/2018
9. Jack Rathbone LHD Harvard (ECAC) 4th/2017
10. Toni Utunen LHD Tappara (SM-Liiga)

Except AG hasn't "graduated" and will almost surely be in Utica in October.

19 hours ago, the grinder said:

but but  Utica is terrible   lmao j/k

Utica has a very good team, but Trent Cull is a knuckle dragging Tortorella wannabe.

That kind of approach with young players is the wrong one. 2 prospects have already up and left the team because of his BS. Not good. 

Demote Cull (he can coach the Defence)
Lure Burrows away from Laval. 

Edited by fecklund