The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Prospect Pool still ranked Top Ten in NHL at #8 by Sporting News

AV's Coin

46 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Juolevi below DiPietro, Hoglander and Woo. LOL. Not sure I'd have him that far down my list but hey, I don't get paid to be wrong.

Someone posted OJ highlights from his last healthy season - 17/18.  OJ looked great!  I forgot how big he is, and just how well he skated and moved the puck.  I think he is on our team within 20 games, and in our top four by Christmas.  He’s really good.  

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Someone posted OJ highlights from his last healthy season - 17/18.  OJ looked great!  I forgot how big he is, and just how well he skated and moved the puck.  I think he is on our team within 20 games, and in our top four by Christmas.  He’s really good.  

I admire your enthusiasm for sure, but I can't get over three things. His junior coach , Hunter ranked him as a second pairing D, Salo sat him in the Finnish league and the best he could muster was "he's getting better,"  He had the worse +/- in the entire AHL before injury. I have to reply on those comments more than any thing to make a judgement. The rest is speculation and cheerleading. Like every one else I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm not expecting greatness. If he was a2nd round pick this would be good but wasn't he drafted 5th best in the world?

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I admire your enthusiasm for sure, but I can't get over three things. His junior coach , Hunter ranked him as a second pairing D, Salo sat him in the Finnish league and the best he could muster was "he's getting better,"  He had the worse +/- in the entire AHL before injury. I have to reply on those comments more than any thing to make a judgement. The rest is speculation and cheerleading. Like every one else I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm not expecting greatness. If he was a2nd round pick this would be good but wasn't he drafted 5th best in the world?

OJ was drafted 5OA because of his elite skills, size, and very high ceiling.  If he was a 35th pick, I’d be actually concerned, because he wouldn’t be as skilled, Big, or have such a high ceiling.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Poor Bouchard, way down at 42, long after all of Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Smith and Miller @IBatch :bigblush:

Damn.   Almost at OJ already? Ha ha.  Not so sure about this list, THN most recent one has Bouchard at 13th, ahead of all our guys with the exception of Hughes - and he’s ahead of the rest of the bunch too..that’s ALL the prospects...so which ranking do you like the most AGENt?  I like THNs ha ha ...as an aside they are high on OJ and always have been but he never broke the top 20, currently at 66...a few spots ahead of where AG was last year ... guess we will have to wait and see... personally I like guys that won’t get hurt and can do it all,  not little pe-wees that can skate and puckhandle - will take a AP or Carlson over a Ghost - McAvoy every time. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

OJ was drafted 5OA because of his elite skills, size, and very high ceiling.  If he was a 35th pick, I’d be actually concerned, because he wouldn’t be as skilled, Big, or have such a high ceiling.  

OJ had the hugest  floor of all the defense man available but not the highest ceiling although it’s still high.  TB and Boston picked guys that made the NHL and made an impact while OJ went back to juniors and was outproduced by Bouchard (ok they paced each other but draft plus one Bouchard made mince meat of the competition and in his draft year made mince meat out of OJs draft year minus the juniors).   Take that aGENT ha ha .   Alf it’s OK OJ is still a great prospect - his development has been de-railed by injuries - sure he will make the top four soon enough...

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Damn.   Almost at OJ already? Ha ha.  Not so sure about this list, THN most recent one has Bouchard at 13th, ahead of all our guys with the exception of Hughes - and he’s ahead of the rest of the bunch too..that’s ALL the prospects...so which ranking do you like the most AGENt?  I like THNs ha ha ...as an aside they are high on OJ and always have been but he never broke the top 20, currently at 66...a few spots ahead of where AG was last year ... guess we will have to wait and see... personally I like guys that won’t get hurt and can do it all,  not little pe-wees that can skate and puckhandle - will take a AP or Carlson over a Ghost - McAvoy every time. 

My own ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

My own ::D

It’s all good - I’ve enjoyed your input, I can’t help myself of all the guys JB could have picked over the years he’s the one I really wanted - was heart sick when PLD was picked but then exhilarated for a few minutes when MT was still on the table but even that wasn’t as exiting when I saw that Bouchard was still available.   I actually shouted “HUGHES?!!” When he picked him like WTF was he doing.   Of course he’s climbed the rankings and I’m happy about it since but also continue to follow Bouchard in London ... and will next year too in the AHL or EDM.    Funny never cared about missing on Glass or that Valardi slipped ( both are considered top prospects for Vegas and LA) but preferred them at the time too - good thing I’m not drafting right?  We’d have MT, Glass and Bouchard.   Still way too early to predict Glass and Bouchards classes - and even a bit for MTs given some guys are late bloomers.    That said at this point OJ, EP and Hughes >> then MT, Glass and Bouchard.  Commented earlier on the EP thread that he made the coveted top 50 THN rank - not an easy thing to do as a sophomore - at 44.  One spot ahead of MT (that’s cool) and ahead of McAvoy, Price, Huberdeau, Couture and Barzal - that’s some  great company.  They already see him making that much or an impact.  If Hughes also becomes a Calder candidate (he’s one  of ten guys listed for best possible rookies, including his brother Kakko, Makar, Zadina Bouchard etc (ok one of those guys I added)) then that’s a hat trick for Benning - don’t remember any team doing that before...can’t wait for the puck to drop.

As an aside I picked Podz a day before the draft - suggested he’d slip and it he did we’d have to take him and run away like bandits with smiles on our faces.  Was happy about that and nice for once to pick the same guy as JB.  Video on him is very encouraging - very high floor - good third liner - with a ceiling like Forsbergs.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As an aside I picked Podz a day before the draft - suggested he’d slip and it he did we’d gave to take him and run away like bandits with smiles on our faces.  Was happy about that and nice for once to pick the same guy as JB.  Video on I’m is very encouraging - very high floor - good third liner - with a ceiling like Forsbergs.  

Well at least we can agree on that! :lol:

I too made a comment a day or two before the draft, something along the lines of:

'If Podkolzin (or someone ranked even higher) is still there at 10 and we don't run up to the podium and call out his name, I'll be PISSED.'

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yes to all the above.   However he was also the best defenseman on most rankings and had a great WJs which for better or worse affects those rankings.  Yakupov scored at a record pace his draft year and wasn’t off board either.  Patrick Stefan another bust first overall.  Think he might be our Chris Phillips - a bit of a wasted first overall  pick but he was solid and played over 1000 games for OTT before he was done.  

On 8/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hughes

Woo

Madden

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Call me an incorrigible homer, but THAT to me looks like FIVE 1st Rd talents acquired over a 366 day period.

So we could splurge one future 1st.

To me Madden still feels like a second rounder type player but the others are all at the level of a 1st in my mind.  Combined with that that Podkolzin and Hughes could be top 3 type picks as well.  Either way it's been a great haul the last couple of years. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

To me Madden still feels like a second rounder type player but the others are all at the level of a 1st in my mind.  Combined with that that Podkolzin and Hughes could be top 3 type picks as well.  Either way it's been a great haul the last couple of years. 

I didn't see a minute of last yr's world jrs, but it sure sounded like he was an impact-climber, on a pretty impressive US roster. It's been fun tracking the prospect-progress the past few seasons.

I wonder what Madden has in store for us this season?

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I didn't see a minute of last yr's world jrs, but it sure sounded like he was an impact-climber, on a pretty impressive US roster. It's been fun tracking the prospect-progress the past few seasons.

I wonder what Madden has in store for us this season?

I think Madden is a player.  But looking at his recent photo he is still (physically) a boy.  He’s got a couple years of maturing yet.  But when this kid becomes a man, watch out.  He’s going to be a very good 200 foot player.  He’s a player teams win Cups with.  

Hell JB has drafted a whole bunch of these kinds of super character and hyper compete guys.  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Madden is a player.  But looking at his recent photo he is still (physically) a boy.  He’s got a couple years of maturing yet.  But when this kid becomes a man, watch out.  He’s going to be a very good 200 foot player.  He’s a player teams win Cups with.  

Hell JB has drafted a whole bunch of these kinds of super character and hyper compete guys.  

I like these kids from prominent players. They don't get too caught up in big moments(as compared w/kids from usual backgrounds)..they've lived with/been exposed to big league games, right from their earliest memories.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

23 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

The future is now!

Also, there's a key Canuck that may even be the future captain that's not on that list there..

3151783.png&w=350&h=254

:emot-parrot:

Tryamkin is great and all but He will never be an NHL captain, out of shape then returning to russia is not captain material.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

He was not #5 in the world he was the highest ranked D man by scouts, think how bad the Canucks d prospects would look if they chose tkapuke over a d man?

Yes tkapuke is talented and yes he is a pain to play against, d men are harder to develop and even harder to trade for. Petey, Brock, Horvat, Miller, Podkolzin etc plus juolevi Or tkapuke ?

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

OJ had the hugest  floor of all the defense man available but not the highest ceiling although it’s still high.  TB and Boston picked guys that made the NHL and made an impact while OJ went back to juniors and was outproduced by Bouchard (ok they paced each other but draft plus one Bouchard made mince meat of the competition and in his draft year made mince meat out of OJs draft year minus the juniors).   Take that aGENT ha ha .   Alf it’s OK OJ is still a great prospect - his development has been de-railed by injuries - sure he will make the top four soon enough...

OJ d1+ year was after his team was gutted from the NHL draft. Not hard to figure it out.

1.Christian Dvorak (C)  5952691212756

2.Mitch Marner (RW)  5739771166845

3.Matthew Tkachuk (LW)  5730771078045

4.Aaron Berisha (RW)  664527723540

5.J.J. Piccinich (RW)  663036661923

6.Max Jones (LW)  6328245210630

7.Olli Juolevi (D)  57933421638

8.Victor Mete (D)  68830381853

9.Kole Sherwood (RW)  63122234539

10.Cliff Pu (RW)  631219312412

Then his d+1 year as follows.

Cliff Pu (RW)  633551863625

2.J.J. Piccinich (RW)  662646722418

3.Robert Thomas (C/RW)  661650662641

4.Janne Kuokkanen (LW/C)  602636621424

5.Sam Miletic (LW)  653718552331

6.Victor Mete (D)  501529441436

7.Evan Bouchard (D)  681133442430

8.Olli Juolevi (D)  581032423626

9.Owen MacDonald (C/RW)  611621373414

10.Max Jones (LW)  331719366523

Far easier to claim juolevi sucks then to look in depth right?

Lol comparing D men in the OHL is silly.

Why don't you compare McDavids numbers vs alexandre daigles ?

How about bouchard vs juolevi stats in the AHL? Better league and players then the OHL right?

Oh thats because bouchard has not played in the AHL!

especially with edmonton needing RHD badly he is where?

Major junior!

A real elite talent, leaps and bounds better then OJ! :picard:

On 8/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

If the Canucks dont have a first next year (make the playoffs) and how stacked the 2020 draft is, they will likely not be in the top 15 next year for prospects. 

Real question is, though, will Tampa find a decent player in 2020 drafting 31st with Vancouver's pick?

(See what I did there?????)

18 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

He and Podkolzin (and goldy if he's still kicking around) can take ESL classes on off-days lol

As a member of the "grammar police" I can attest that Goldy's English is better than most posters on this site

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Tryamkin is great and all but He will never be an NHL captain, out of shape then returning to russia is not captain material.

He was not #5 in the world he was the highest ranked D man by scouts, think how bad the Canucks d prospects would look if they chose tkapuke over a d man?

Yes tkapuke is talented and yes he is a pain to play against, d men are harder to develop and even harder to trade for. Petey, Brock, Horvat, Miller, Podkolzin etc plus juolevi Or tkapuke ?

OJ d1+ year was after his team was gutted from the NHL draft. Not hard to figure it out.

1.Christian Dvorak (C)  5952691212756

2.Mitch Marner (RW)  5739771166845

3.Matthew Tkachuk (LW)  5730771078045

4.Aaron Berisha (RW)  664527723540

5.J.J. Piccinich (RW)  663036661923

6.Max Jones (LW)  6328245210630

7.Olli Juolevi (D)  57933421638

8.Victor Mete (D)  68830381853

9.Kole Sherwood (RW)  63122234539

10.Cliff Pu (RW)  631219312412

Then his d+1 year as follows.

Cliff Pu (RW)  633551863625

2.J.J. Piccinich (RW)  662646722418

3.Robert Thomas (C/RW)  661650662641

4.Janne Kuokkanen (LW/C)  602636621424

5.Sam Miletic (LW)  653718552331

6.Victor Mete (D)  501529441436

7.Evan Bouchard (D)  681133442430

8.Olli Juolevi (D)  581032423626

9.Owen MacDonald (C/RW)  611621373414

10.Max Jones (LW)  331719366523

Far easier to claim juolevi sucks then to look in depth right?

Lol comparing D men in the OHL is silly.

Why don't you compare McDavids numbers vs alexandre daigles ?

How about bouchard vs juolevi stats in the AHL? Better league and players then the OHL right?

Oh thats because bouchard has not played in the AHL!

especially with edmonton needing RHD badly he is where?

Major junior!

A real elite talent, leaps and bounds better then OJ! :picard:

Don’t be daft the Bouchard comments were for aGENT - was teasing thought it was pretty obvious .... also their “gutted” team still almost got 100 points,  in 68 games - they still dominated.  But in case your interested Bouchard had a great year - from start to finish in his draft plus one, two years in a row OHL defenseman of the year - and had a monster playoffs OJs stats don’t match up well both in his draft year (when all those guys you’ve named were on it) and his draft plus one year.    

OJ will play most the year in the AHL with who’s ahead of him, and it should help him - he still needs work catching up to his defensive game which I’m pretty sure he will do.  Injuries have derailed and delayed the process, he’s going to need more time - never said he was a bust.   

Edit:  you do know Bouchard wasn’t eligible to play in the AHL last year right?  Otherwise he’d have made it no problem - MJ way to easy for him.

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1