The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Marner's Agent in Contact with Zurich Lions of the Swiss League

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

If an RFA doesn't have a contract, is he not free to sign anywhere other then NHL/AHL ?

I'd be quite concerned if i was Leafs management!

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Only if he wasn't qualified by the Leafs which isn't the case here.

As a qualified RFA he may sign in the KHL only, just look at the Tryamkin's case.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Whaleroad Train said:

I know him going to Europe is not going to happen - but wouldn't it be fab if it did.  Could you imagine the screaming emanating from Toronto.

lol.. and imagine how stupid TSN would look, trying to spin it into a positive

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

As a qualified RFA he may sign in the KHL only, just look at the Tryamkin's case.

I think Marner could really help Tryamkin's career take off.  Tree could put up 50+ points playing with Marner...  ^_^

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Damage will be temporary once agents realize no legitimate GM is as stupid as the idiot running the Leafs.  The Nylander contract is so atrocious it shouldn't be even used as a comparable.  All it takes is one actually good RFA to sign and the real value will be set.

Aho?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Zurich is not a bad place to play the game, and the Swiss league is not a bad either. Mathews made it work for him. Marner's allegiants is to his family first, period.

Smart man. You could spin a globe and stop it with your finger 100 times and you wouldn't land on a better country than Switzerland. They're doing things the right way and the rest of the rest of the world needs to pay attention.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Marner is showing that he's willing to go the long haul holding out until he gets paid. He's looking for a good league to play in, to keep his chops sharp. When Dubas caves, he'll be ready to step in.  

Train with Zurich not play for them.   There's the risk of injury.  Nylander also trained with teams in Sweden and Austria but never got into games.

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

So how will Marner holding out (possibly long term) affect the Laine and Tkachuk signings?

Sounds like Marner doesn't change Tkachuk's approach.  His agent Don Meehan (Newport agency) earlier this week:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/matthew-tkachuks-agent-gave-fair-offer-flames-june/

“We took an approach where we would be really proactive and progressive with Calgary,” Meehan told TVA Sports. “We started early and we set a position, we really didn’t have to wait. We formulated a position that we thought would be fair and we gave that to Calgary probably [in] the early part of June.

“We’re involved in negotiations right now but as far as I’m concerned, it’s not a waiting game. We’ve made a decision in terms of what we think is fair and relevant for the player and we’re working with Calgary now.”

“We decided that we would initiate the process with Calgary and we did it early, and I think we are happy that we did,” Meehan said. “Of course, we saw the free-agent offer sheet with Sebastian Aho, which was another confirmation of the market.”

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This is pretty much it. He could've signed a supposed rumoured offer sheet already if he wanted to leave. He wants to be a Leaf, but he also wants to be paid since his colleagues did. Marner would've signed a team friendly deal if they were throwing money away all at willy nilly. Willy Nilly

Fixed it for you...:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Way to go Dubas. 

Not only have you screwed yourself. But the other teams with your stupid Nylander contract. Hope you get fired. 

But what if they actually get a GM that's competent :ph34r:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Zurich is not a bad place to play the game, and the Swiss league is not a bad either. Mathews made it work for him. Marner's allegiants is to his family first, period.

Cause 10mil per just won't be enough for feed his family. Needs that 11.1658mil contract or whatever. Also going to Switzerland is better for his family in what regard?

I would wager the only teams that can come close to putting together a competitive offer to an actual NHL team are definitely from the KHL and the two specific ones I can think of are CSKA (would give a whole new meaning to the phrase 'Moscow Mitch') and SKA. 

Edited by Toews
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

lol.. and imagine how stupid TSN would look, trying to spin it into a positive

Lol I can see it now.

TSN reports:

Making the most out of their cap situation both the Leafs and MMs camp have decided it's best for MM to play overseas in order to remain competitive in a high quality environment like Zurich has created.

"It did wonders for Mathews and as soon as an injury occurs or a trade is made he will be in top shape and ready to step in to our system"- Kyle Dubas.

Bob Mckenzie- "it's a salary cap era got to hand it to Kyle Dubas for thinking outside the box."

FFS that'll be the day lol.

Edited by KanNuck
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Cause 10mil per just won't be enough for feed his family. Needs that 11.1658mil contract or whatever. Also going to Switzerland is better for his family in what regard?

Whether the money is one or 11 million, if Marner decides the right route to go is to start the season in Europe that is all that matters. Switzerland has a lot of good things going for it, in addition to a competetive hockey league.