The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Marner's Agent in Contact with Zurich Lions of the Swiss League

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Matthews stays healthy, he’s 100% worth the AAV, IF it was 7-8 years, not 5. The fact he’s taken to free agency on a shorter deal is the real problem, there.

Honestly, Nylander’s AAV isn’t a problem. Going forward, most forwards will see around $7M per of they’re averaging 60 points per season, on the low end. The problem with Nylander is that the Leafs chose to extend him in the first place and not trade him prior to the draft in 2018. The Leafs don’t need Nylander, because they’re so stacked offensively as it is.

His AAV is fine, it just shouldn’t have been the Leafs that signed that contract. And now that they’re in cap hell, another team will take it on, but not before severely underpaying in the process.

Nylanders AAV is fine if he finds some of his old form, that's still an if. He's uselsss if not scoring. Also, he seems to only be effective if playing with AM. As for my beef with AM's contract you mirror my thoughts exactly. They are paying a premium at 11.5 X 5  without buying up a single year of UFA. Terrible. 

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Nylanders AAV is fine if he finds some of his old form, that's still an if. He's uselsss if not scoring. Also, he seems to only be effective if playing with AM. As for my beef with AM's contract you mirror my thoughts exactly. They are paying a premium at 11.5 X 5  without buying up a single year of UFA. Terrible. 

He's worse than useless; he actively hurts his team with his pitiful excuse for effort.  That contract is going to make LE look like a bargain if Nylander doesn't fix his attitude and stop being a lazy, entitled brat who thinks he's too good to backcheck.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He's worse than useless; he actively hurts his team with his pitiful excuse for effort.  That contract is going to make LE look like a bargain if Nylander doesn't fix his attitude and stop being a lazy, entitled brat who thinks he's too good to backcheck.

Did some swedish guy steal your mom away or something?  

• Haha 1

Signing Matthews, a player who has only averaged around 70 points a year on his ELC to an $11.6M contract for only 5 years is the worst decision that Dubas has made.  It's even worse than the Nylander contract.  At least Nylander was getting his 60 points so $7 million is the norm and it's a long term deal.  With Matthews, he's only averaged an additional 10 points per year and they threw the vault at him just because he was their #1 overall pick.  Matthews production over the last 3 years did not warrant his new contract.  Not even close.  So now they are screwed with Marner, as his production does warrant the same contract as Matthews, but of course Marner wants more because he's a 94 point player and Matthews is a 73 point player.  Which makes total sense.  Toronto is the one that screwed themselves here.  They thought Marner would take the hometown discount.  They were wrong.

Also Marner has been pretty much injury free his whole career so far while Matthews has missed 34 games over the last 2 years with injury.  So Marner has proven to be a more durable player, which makes things even worse for Toronto.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Signing Matthews, a player who has only averaged around 70 points a year on his ELC to an $11.6M contract for only 5 years is the worst decision that Dubas has made.  It's even worse than the Nylander contract.  At least Nylander was getting his 60 points so $7 million is the norm and it's a long term deal.  With Matthews, he's only averaged an additional 10 points per year and they threw the vault at him just because he was their #1 overall pick.  Matthews production over the last 3 years did not warrant his new contract.  Not even close.  So now they are screwed with Marner, as his production does warrant the same contract as Matthews, but of course Marner wants more because he's a 94 point player and Matthews is a 73 point player.  Which makes total sense.  Toronto is the one that screwed themselves here.  They thought Marner would take the hometown discount.  They were wrong.

Also Marner has been pretty much injury free his whole career so far while Matthews has missed 34 games over the last 2 years with injury.  So Marner has proven to be a more durable player, which makes things even worse for Toronto.  

I thought Matthews was supposed to be better than McDavid??

At least that is what Toronto was saying.... lol!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, prix57 said:

I thought Matthews was supposed to be better than McDavid??

At least that is what Toronto was saying.... lol!

I admit that I listen to Toronto radio quite frequently. And my colleagues are all from Toronto/live in Toronto. This has never been said.

Apparently it's an ego thing for marner 

He was offered 11 mill 7 yrs and he refused to sign because he wants same or more than Mathews. 

Marner is already overpaid at 11 mill. 

If I'm Dubas i trade him to a place like CBJ or MIN.

Or WPG Something around Laine/Connor 

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He was offered 11 mill 7 yrs and he refused to sign because he wants same or more than Mathews. 

The sad part is that Marner is the one RFA they should be keeping instead of Matthews or Nylander IMO.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The sad part is that Marner is the one RFA they should be keeping instead of Matthews or Nylander IMO.

Imo Mathews is the  better player out of those 3. Keep him and Nylander who will have a great year. Just too hard to come in mid season and play catch up. 

Nylander is 500k overpaid but Marner wants to be 2 or 3 mill ovepaid.  

Mathews is a beast. Hes big strong plays C. Hes the guy you build around. 

Marner can be replaced with a guy like Laine or Connor. 

42 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He's the best player on their team and Dumbass set the bar with AM.  If he's a more valuable player than Mathews, he should be getting paid more.  That's why I want JB to play hardball with Boeser, he's a top 5 player on the team, but a long way from the top and all the players who are up for renewal after this will use him as the standard, just like Marner is with AM.

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's the best player on their team and Dumbass set the bar with AM.  If he's a more valuable player than Mathews, he should be getting paid more.  That's why I want JB to play hardball with Boeser, he's a top 5 player on the team, but a long way from the top and all the players who are up for renewal after this will use him as the standard, just like Marner is with AM.

I dont think marner is the best player on the team. Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine. But for me Mathews over Marner. 

Marner has Tavares on his line Mathews is a C and carries his line.  

Dubas had to get UFA years out of Mathews. At least 1 UFA year. That's where he went wrong. Salary would have been fine if he got 1 more year added on. 

If Boeser doesn't agree to a descent contract then I let of sit if im JB. Let him sit the year and miss out on 7 mill. See what happens.

Dubas should have let Nylander sit the year. He would never recover that money and other players would have got the message after that. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I dont think marner is the best player on the team. Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine. But for me Mathews over Marner. 

Dubas had to get UFA years out of Mathews. At least 1 UFA year. That's where he went wrong. Salary would have been fine if he got 1 more year added on. 

If Boeser doesn't agree to a descent contract then I let of sit if im JB. Let him sit the year and miss out on 7 mill. See what happens.

Dubas should have let Nylander sit the year. He would never recover that money and other players would have got the message after that. 

AM is a great player, but he's the 3rd or 4th best player on that team, imo.  For me, It's Marner, tavares, Reilly and then Mathews.  Marner plays 5v5, PP, PK and is out in the last minute, regardless if they need a goal or need to prevent one.  To me, he's the MVP of that team.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Marner can be replaced with a guy like Laine or Connor. 

Laine can’t even hold Marner’s jock strap. A pure one dimensional forward who only got 50 points last year. The two players aren’t even in the same stratosphere. Connor is a good player but not at the level of Marner.  You can’t compare a 66 point player to a 94 point player. One is a top 6 forward the other is a franchise player. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

agreed, it's crucial they get BB signed to a good, very team friendly deal.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Laine can’t even hold Marner’s jock strap. A pure one dimensional forward who only got 50 points last year. The two players aren’t even in the same stratosphere. Connor is a good player but not at the level of Marner.  You can’t compare a 66 point player to a 94 point player. One is a top 6 forward the other is a franchise player. 

I don't know if it's that big a difference like you're making it out to be. Marner is better but he's tiny. Laine has size and when it comes to playoffs size matters.  

Marner averages 13 more pts per season but Laine averages 13 more goals per season more. 

Laine 237gp 110 g 74 asst 184 pts

Marner 241 to 67 g 157 asst 224 pts

Playing with Tavares helps..look what he did for Marner. What was it a 25 Pts improvement?. 

Edited by WHL rocks

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't know if it's that big a difference like you're making it out to be. Marner is better but he's tiny. Laine has size and when it comes to playoffs size matters.  

Playing with Tavares helps..look what he did for Marner. What was it a 25 Pts improvement?. 

You could say tavares had a career year  playing with Marner, just as convincingly.  Obviously it's painful complimenting anyone from the Leaves, but Marner is one of the best, most complete players in the league, imo. 

• Upvote 1