Elias Pettersson

[Report] Marner's Agent in Contact with Zurich Lions of the Swiss League

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

You could say tavares had a career year  playing with Marner, just as convincingly.  Obviously it's painful complimenting anyone from the Leaves, but Marner is one of the best, most complete players in the league, imo. 

You could say that but Tavares only improved by 4 pts from the previous season in NYI 

Marner improved by 25 Pts his first season playing with Tavares

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Imo Mathews is the  better player out of those 3. Keep him and Nylander who will have a great year. Just too hard to come in mid season and play catch up. 

Nylander is 500k overpaid but Marner wants to be 2 or 3 mill ovepaid.  

Mathews is a beast. Hes big strong plays C. Hes the guy you build around. 

Marner can be replaced with a guy like Laine or Connor. 

I think Matthews is an incredible player, but I also think he's going to be a big headcase. The fact that he signed only a 5 year deal taking him right to UFA speaks volumes to me. For the reasons you've mentioned, they could've gotten a very good return and maybe even fix up their defense (I would've traded him to Arizona for OEL before his NTC kicked in + maybe a decent 3rd line center). At the time Toronto still had Kadri, who looks like he will be the 2nd line C for Colorado now anyway. Marner is the local guy, led the team in points and the kicker for me is that he was also a key figure in their PK. No he's not a center and he's not a very physical player and those would be things that would've went against him in negotiations. Without the Matthews deal, they probably would've locked in Marner at about 9 million long term already. Marner is only going to be overpaid now because of the way things have played out. They shot themselves in the foot with Matthews and I don't even think he is sticking around past the 5 years. So that is their window now and they are still missing a ton of key pieces because they simply cannot afford it.

If Winnipeg is up against the cap on their own, it's doubtful they will be able to acquire Marner and sign the other guy (whoever is dealt to Toronto). It has to work for both sides in a deal. Winnipeg cannot afford Marner at this point, so doubtful they would make that deal.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

You could say that but Tavares only improved by 4 pts from the previous season in NYI 

Marner improved by 25 Pts. 

Marner is at an age where we would see the most dramatic improvements........that said, they obviously help each other. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Aho signed an offer sheet at 8.5 mill per year. No way Marner is worth 3 mill per year more. 

Aho 242 gp  83 g 114 asst 197 pts

Marner 241 to 67 g 157 asst 224 pts

only 27 more Pts and 16 less goals than Aho while playing on an offensive powerhouse. Aho plays for a defensively sound team in CAR with a lot less talent. 

Leafs need to trade him and set an example. Hes being a greedy spoiled brat. 

Send him someplace he wouldn't want to be. 

• Upvote 1

Some context is needed for the Aho deal, it expires right when he is a UFA. That deal on paper looks friendly to the team but he could leave the team at the earliest possible moment. I am sure Marner would have very likely signed a 5 year 11mil deal. That 5 year number is likely what most of these RFAs are after as it gets them outta their RFA status as soon as possible (in most situations). And obviously teams are looking for either 3-4 years or long term 7-8 year deals.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Some context is needed for the Aho deal, it expires right when he is a UFA. That deal on paper looks friendly to the team but he could leave the team at the earliest possible moment. I am sure Marner would have very likely signed a 5 year 11mil deal. That 5 year number is likely what most of these RFAs are after as it gets them outta their RFA status as soon as possible (in most situations). And obviously teams are looking for either 3-4 years or long term 7-8 year deals.

But is marner worth 3 mill more than Aho?. He's looking for matching Mathews contract. 11.5 per for 5 yrs taking him to UFA. 

If he wants a 5 year deal to hit UFA asap he should sign for 9 mill. 

11 mill was offered because leafs wanted to buy 2 or 3 UFA years. It would have been for 7 or 8 yrs.

That's more than fair for him. What is he looking for Mcdavid money? 

Edited by WHL rocks

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I can't blame all these RFA's, but the GM's really need to stand their ground, imo, as most of them have little to no leverage.  Guys like Marner (Dumbass already set the standard with AM's contract) and Aho have a stronger case because they're the best players on their team, but the rest of the GM's should stand their ground.

• Hydration 1

5 hours ago, Monty said:

I admit that I listen to Toronto radio quite frequently. And my colleagues are all from Toronto/live in Toronto. This has never been said.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2018/10/12/why-auston-matthews-is-better-than-connor-mcdavid-and-the-mailbag.html

With all due respect to Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby and my pal Bruce Arthur’s anonymous sources, Auston Matthews is — right now — the best hockey player on the planet.

Fri., Oct. 12, 2018

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/8/25/16034424/auston-matthews-is-better-than-connor-mcdavid-come-at-me-oilers-fans-sbnation-top-25-under-25

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/big-boast-out-of-toronto-auston-matthews-of-maple-leafs-is-better-than-connor-mcdavid-of-edmonton-oilers

This just in, a big brag out of Toronto, that Auston Matthews of the Leafs is a better player than Connor McDavid of the Oilers. It comes by way of writer Nicholas Frost of the Editor in Leaf hockey blog.

“I will stay silent no more!” Frost announces. “Auston Matthews is better than Connor McDavid.”

Edited by oldnews
  • Hydration 1

I think it'll be 10.5 mill for 5 years. Take him to UFA 

Players want the big money coming after Seattle expansion and new US TV deal. 

In 5 years Mathews and Marner will be looking for 15 mill.

Aho signed an offer sheet at 8.5 mill per year. No way Marner is worth 3 mill per year more. 

Aho 242 gp  83 g 114 asst 197 pts

Marner 241 to 67 g 157 asst 224 pts

only 27 more Pts and 16 less goals than Aho while playing on an offensive powerhouse. Aho plays for a defensively sound team in CAR with a lot less talent. 

Leafs need to trade him and set an example. Hes being a greedy spoiled brat. 

Send him someplace he wouldn't want to be. 

In the same manner, is Matthews worth his contract? He does have 205 points in 212 career games which gives him a better PPG, but is he worth 3 million more than Aho? Aho plays some PK too, but Matthews doesn't even get a sniff. And like you said different offensive teams. Toronto shot themselves in the foot with the Matthews deal. Why should Marner take significantly less than Matthews at this point? Unfortunately for Toronto, they can't really use other comparables when they have two of their very own that they overpaid.

Not gonna lie....

I enjoyed a shade of schadenfreude when I read Dreger's report.

51 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

In the same manner, is Matthews worth his contract? He does have 205 points in 212 career games which gives him a better PPG, but is he worth 3 million more than Aho? Aho plays some PK too, but Matthews doesn't even get a sniff. And like you said different offensive teams. Toronto shot themselves in the foot with the Matthews deal. Why should Marner take significantly less than Matthews at this point? Unfortunately for Toronto, they can't really use other comparables when they have two of their very own that they overpaid.

Marner should take less than Mathews because he doesn't bring as much to the table.. 

Mathews has the best 5v5 goals for in the entire NHL. He runs his own line. Hes a C and a big powerful guy. 

He's worth more. 

?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2019.html

Matthews

3.6 on ice goals for per 60 = 8th on the Leafs

3.9 against was the worst on the Leafs (excluding Petan, Rosen and Holl, who scarcely saw the ice).

Matthews -9 was the worst on the Leafs.

Matthews 58.4% was the 2nd highest on the Leafs.

Matthews 1 second of penalty killing ice time /g was 1:20 less than Marner.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

Marner should take less than Mathews because he doesn't bring as much to the table.. 

Mathews has the best 5v5 goals for in the entire NHL. He runs his own line. Hes a C and a big powerful guy. 

He's worth more. 

Marner and Tavares take a lot of the defensive attention away from Mathews.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2019.html

Matthews

3.6 on ice goals for per 60 = 8th on the Leafs

3.9 against was the worst on the Leafs (excluding Petan, Rosen and Holl, who scarcely saw the ice).

Matthews -9 was the worst on the Leafs.

Matthews 58.4% was the 2nd highest on the Leafs.

Matthews 1 second of penalty killing ice time /g was 1:20 less than Marner.

Wow. I had to look that up to see if it's true. It is, minus 9 for Auston. Thats terrible. The twins, when young and putting up points, were perennial plus players. 

The inside bet is he gets some pre season conditioning in Europe and signs on the first day of the regular season with the Leafs. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

He's worth more. 

He was the "2nd line center". Marner led the team in points and contributed more to the team with a complete game. Only advantage for Matthews is he's a center and he has more size, but it's aside from playing a power game, he doesn't play all that physical (threw as many hits as Marner, 0.4 per game). Matthews hasn't been fully healthy either. Marner isn't worth the ask he's looking for, but Matthews isn't worth his contract especially with that term. I doubt he's very committed to Toronto.

• Upvote 1

TSN Toronto Radio Overdrive panel were whining  today about Mitch Marner turning down  113 million canadian dollar contract.  Host also called the Canucks a Brutal team.

Marner is a whiny lil b who deserves nothing. I would be playing the hardest kind of ball I could with that brat.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, cdubuya said:

Marner is a whiny lil b who deserves nothing. I would be playing the hardest kind of ball I could with that brat.

its actually the leafs management being babies.  right now Marners agents just sees it like this...

21 year old player with 73 points in 68 games 11.6 million...

21 yer old player with 94 points in 82 games wants 11.6 million, theres nothing more to that.  Dubas is an idiot to think oh he's a Toronto kid and we want him to take a pay cut. I am personally glad he is doing this, they are going to be screwed, and I love every moment of it.  Matthews contract is painfully obvious he wants to hit UFA asap, instead of signing a contract equivalent to what Eichel or Mcdavid signed for.  He doesn't want to be in Toronto.

Marner is the same, he wants to hit ufa so he can get more offers for more money of course from other teams.   Dubas is so stupid.  good luck stupid leafs.

• Hydration 1