The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ride Hailing: Uber and Lyft Approved to Operate, Judge Refuses to Grant Injunction In Taxi Lawsuit

DonLever

33 minutes ago, DonLever said:

When it comes to the Taxi Industry, isn't it the value of the Taxi Licence the main thing that make money,and not the drivers.  How much money do taxi drivers make anyway?

Do Taxi drivers make the minimum wage?  And how do Uber/Lyft earn their money?   Per hour, commission, percentage of the fee?   Suppose the fare is $30, how much does a Uber driver make vs how much do a taxi driver make.

Well don't know about up here but in San Fran Uber pays more than even taxis even including gas/vehicle accroding to 3 drivers I had.  When I asked them, 3 had worked for taxi companies, started Uber on the side and ended up going Uber full time.  They all said pay was decent and it was nice having their own hours (ie. family/kids they choose when to work and when not to work).

Edited by Russ

9 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

There only remains the Petro Canada on 4th and Cypress

There's a Petro Can at 2nd southbound on Burrard St. (maybe you meant this one?) and a small Chevron at 3rd northbound on Burrard.

Although I did move 3 months ago. Anyway, point is , there's not very many.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:21 AM, SabreFan1 said:

The drivers make more money than the companies.  Both Uber and Lyft are unprofitable.  The rug is eventually going to be pulled out from under them when investors are tired of losing money and there's a mass sell off of shares. 

I will never invest in a ride-sharing company.  I like my money too much to just p*ss it away like that.

I think you may be right. was in the cab business and it's the most miserable way to make a buck I know. little to no profit. some of the arguments I've heard are that drivers will be mostly people just working part time to pick up a couple of bucks, won't be a threat to cabs. but you use your own vehicle am I right? I can tell you the first time you hit a pot hole and have a $1,000 repair bill or some other major repair, engine or transmission replacement, complete brake job etc., when you realize the toll it takes, when you realize the extra insurance and licensing fees you face you will realize this is no part time gig. cabbies work 10-12 hour days often 6 days a week because they have to. I think the whole business model may very well be doomed, but time will tell. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 2:03 PM, Russ said:

Well don't know about up here but in San Fran Uber pays more than even taxis even including gas/vehicle accroding to 3 drivers I had.  When I asked them, 3 had worked for taxi companies, started Uber on the side and ended up going Uber full time.  They all said pay was decent and it was nice having their own hours (ie. family/kids they choose when to work and when not to work).

Uber used to pay alot more when they first came out but have pulled back significantly over the last couple years.

17 minutes ago, Violator said:

Uber used to pay alot more when they first came out but have pulled back significantly over the last couple years.

Uber supplies some USA driver with cars....  the drivers have car payments taken out of their wages....  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/supreme-court-uber-lyft-1.5442614

A group of Metro Vancouver taxi companies is heading to B.C. Supreme Court to try to stop Uber and Lyft from operating. The nine taxi companies filed two legal challenges Monday.

One is an injunction application seeking to immediately stop Uber and Lyft's from conducting business, while the second challenge, a petition to quash their licences, is heard.

The province's Passenger Transportation Board, an independent tribunal, granted the licences last week.

"If the impugned decisions are not stayed," the injuction application read, "those decisions will have a devastating and irreparable impact on the taxi industry and the livelihoods of taxi drivers in Metro Vancouver."

Carolyn Bauer, a spokesperson for the Vancouver Taxi Association, said the injunction application will be heard Feb. 4.The lawsuit comes nearly six months after the same group asked the B.C. Supreme Court to quash the Passenger Transportation Board's rules on ride-hailing.

The cab companies argued the rules favoured companies like Lyft and Uber at the expense of the taxi industry, including no initial limits on fleet size and large operating areas for ride-hailing companies.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

NDP made a mess of ride sharing, public education in BC  , ICBC and the crisis in our foresty industry.

I would never vote BC liberal in 1000 years....

What are my options ?

maybe its you? 

/s 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe its you? 

/s 

I don't think so.  Roll out of ride sharing has been way to slow.....      We have a crisis in BC public education with the teacher shortage and 2nd lowest paid teachers in Canada...    ICBC Is a nightmare and has not improved one percent..  - young drivers in BC are getting bent over.... in fact we all are.

We now have a full on forestry crisis that is wrecking small towns in BC.

BC NDP are a complete failure...       Liberals were worse though.

Maybe its actually you Jimmy

EOS

12 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't think so.  Roll out of ride sharing has been way to slow.....      We have a crisis in BC public education with the teacher shortage and 2nd lowest paid teachers in Canada...    ICBC Is a nightmare and has not improved one percent..  - young drivers in BC are getting bent over.... in fact we all are.

We now have a full on forestry crisis that is wrecking small towns in BC.

BC NDP are a complete failure...       Liberals were worse though.

Maybe its actually you Jimmy

EOS

the Lib's pre-Clark did a lot of good things for the BC economy. I'm not sure I'd call Horgan a complete failure tho, he is supporting the LNG project and has managed to avoid massive new debt so far, so thats good. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6516111/uber-lyft-vancouver-taxi-lawsuit/

A B.C. Supreme Court judge has rejected an attempt by the taxi industry to put the brakes on Uber and Lyft in the Lower Mainland.

A consortium of taxi companies led by the Vancouver Taxi Association (VTA) had sought an emergency injunction against the services.

That would have applied while the companies prepare more comprehensive challenge of the Passenger Transportation Board’s (PTB) approval of the companies’ licences, a process expected to take several months.

“In my view, the evidence taken at its best and assuming a causal connection that was not established, indicates there is a potential for an incremental decrease in revenue earned by taxi drivers. By contrast, if the stay is granted, it is certain that Uber and Lyft will be unable to generate any revenue at all,” stated Madame Justice Veronica Jackson in her ruling.

“In my view, this supports the conclusion that the public interest favours maintaining the status quo.”

Vancouver Taxi Association spokesperson Carolyn Bauer said the taxi companies would still proceed with their application for a judicial review of Uber and Lyft’s permits.

“There’s a lot of families and children who rely and are dependent on this taxi industry, not just in Vancouver but in British Columbia,” said Bauer.

Edited by DonLever

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the Lib's pre-Clark did a lot of good things for the BC economy. I'm not sure I'd call Horgan a complete failure tho, he is supporting the LNG project and has managed to avoid massive new debt so far, so thats good. 

With Horgans leadership...

Sick People / families  getting ripped off with pay parking at hospitals.

Custodians covering elementary classes as teachers wages are so low BC doesn't have enough... can't recruit

Forest Crisis - longest strike in history of forestry in BC

Ride sharing - still not available in most BC cities.. and government requiring class upgrades for drivers is ridiculous

ICBC -  BC citizens may see a 20% reduction but that means we are still paying WAY to much.

Housing crisis -   this is the only issue i see that Horgan has any kind of a positive impact on....... with taxes on foreign.  I would prefer to see outright ban on foreign owners of homes / condos in the lower mainland. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

With Horgans leadership...

Sick People / families  getting ripped off with pay parking at hospitals.

Custodians covering elementary classes as teachers wages are so low BC doesn't have enough... can't recruit

Forest Crisis - longest strike in history of forestry in BC

Ride sharing - still not available in most BC cities.. and government requiring class upgrades for drivers is ridiculous

ICBC -  BC citizens may see a 20% reduction but that means we are still paying WAY to much.

Housing crisis -   this is the only issue i see that Horgan has any kind of a positive impact on....... with taxes on foreign.  I would prefer to see outright ban on foreign owners of homes / condos in the lower mainland. 

I dunno man, you voted for them, I didnt. 

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I dunno man, you voted for them, I didnt. 

I  plugged my nose and voted strategically  to get rid of CC and her band of cronies....

I don't regret it.

Now that i have seen that Horgan is no better.... I wonder who to vote for next time.... 

36 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I  plugged my nose and voted strategically  to get rid of CC and her band of cronies....

I don't regret it.

Now that i have seen that Horgan is no better.... I wonder who to vote for next time.... 

Liberal. At least your kids will have jobs. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6516111/uber-lyft-vancouver-taxi-lawsuit/

A B.C. Supreme Court judge has rejected an attempt by the taxi industry to put the brakes on Uber and Lyft in the Lower Mainland.

A consortium of taxi companies led by the Vancouver Taxi Association (VTA) had sought an emergency injunction against the services.

That would have applied while the companies prepare more comprehensive challenge of the Passenger Transportation Board’s (PTB) approval of the companies’ licences, a process expected to take several months.

“In my view, the evidence taken at its best and assuming a causal connection that was not established, indicates there is a potential for an incremental decrease in revenue earned by taxi drivers. By contrast, if the stay is granted, it is certain that Uber and Lyft will be unable to generate any revenue at all,” stated Madame Justice Veronica Jackson in her ruling.

“In my view, this supports the conclusion that the public interest favours maintaining the status quo.”

Vancouver Taxi Association spokesperson Carolyn Bauer said the taxi companies would still proceed with their application for a judicial review of Uber and Lyft’s permits.

“There’s a lot of families and children who rely and are dependent on this taxi industry, not just in Vancouver but in British Columbia,” said Bauer.

Why don't they just become Uber or Lyft drivers?