The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ride Hailing: Uber and Lyft Approved to Operate, Judge Refuses to Grant Injunction In Taxi Lawsuit

DonLever

1 minute ago, khay said:

If it is realized, they should be able to turn profit, so I wouldn't say it has very little to do.

Whether those things will be realized or not, I'm doubtful that it will happen short-term. That I agree with you.

I think the market knows that self driving cars are still ways away hence the underwhelming IPO.

Uber and Lyft will be dead by the time self-driving vehicles get serious market penetration.

The underwhelming IPO was because neither company will be turning a profit any time soon.  That's also why the stocks continue to trend downward.  Autonomous vehicles had nothing to do with the IPO.  If anything, they would boost it because it would eliminate any money that's spent on their drivers.

Even after autonomous cars are eventually introduced, not everyone will be able to afford them for some time.  There will always be a need for companies that provide transportation.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Uber and Lyft will be dead by the time self-driving vehicles get serious market penetration.

The underwhelming IPO was because neither company will be turning a profit any time soon.  That's also why the stocks continue to trend downward.  Autonomous vehicles had nothing to do with the IPO.  If anything, they would boost it because it would eliminate any money that's spent on their drivers.

Even after autonomous cars are eventually introduced, not everyone will be able to afford them for some time.  There will always be a need for companies that provide transportation.

I just hope one of our teams wins a Stanley Cup by then.   Been waiting a freaking long time as it is.:P

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I just hope one of our teams wins a Stanley Cup by then.   Been waiting a freaking long time as it is.:P

I've been rooting for the Sabres since 1980 and the Canucks since a couple years after that.  I've been frustrated for that long....  :(

• Cheers 1

I think it's going to be a long time before we see autonomous vehicles that are not required to have a human attendant present at all times to take control if needed. I'd be willing to bet the day ride sharing companies don't have to pay a "driver" is a long ways off.

Edited by Nucksfollower1983

14 hours ago, inane said:

That can't be very cost effective but whatever. 

I can only assume person can't afford to own a car (after rent, food, etc.,) & lives in an area where transit isn't a viable option.  On my first "REAL" job, I was one of these people but was fortunate I had a friend who could give me a lift to work everyday (worked close in the same area & had hours comparable to mine).

• 4 months later...

I hope this works out and surely will be nice to have other options than be at the mercy of wither that cab will come or not. My biggest issue is the fact that there is one standing gas station left in the downtown core, you know the place where everyone wants to go to on the weekends. Not sure how long the that gas station on Davie and Burrard will be there for as the owner of the land has interest to sell. So good luck to all the Uber and Lyft drivers getting gas in rush hour downtown on a Friday. 
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/last-gas-vancouver-s-sole-remaining-downtown-gas-station-for-sale-1.3363976

41 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I hope this works out and surely will be nice to have other options than be at the mercy of wither that cab will come or not. My biggest issue is the fact that there is one standing gas station left in the downtown core, you know the place where everyone wants to go to on the weekends. Not sure how long the that gas station on Davie and Burrard will be there for as the owner of the land has interest to sell. So good luck to all the Uber and Lyft drivers getting gas in rush hour downtown on a Friday. 
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/mobile/last-gas-vancouver-s-sole-remaining-downtown-gas-station-for-sale-1.3363976

Yea, it's getting bad. Not enough stations.

There is still those two right over the on the south side (Kits) of Burrard bridge and the one at 2nd and Main. 

They are very close to the core and yes, at peak time I could see it being a mess.

For Vancouver, I think this ride hailing could still be bumpy. I can see a lot of congestion in an already insanely congested city. i also think it will be expensive, I don't know enough but don't they have peak/fluctuating pricing? 

I have heard Uber has ran in to some problems too, such as driver lawsuits etc..

We'll see. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yea, it's getting bad. Not enough stations.

There is still those two right over the on the south side (Kits) of Burrard bridge and the one at 2nd and Main. 

They are very close to the core and yes, at peak time I could see it being a mess.

For Vancouver, I think this ride hailing could still be bumpy. I can see a lot of congestion in an already insanely congested city. i also think it will be expensive, I don't know enough but don't they have peak/fluctuating pricing? 

I have heard Uber has ran in to some problems too, such as driver lawsuits etc..

We'll see. 

That Esso that used to be beside West Beach on the corner of 4th and Burrard is gone now. There only remains the Petro Canada on 4th and Cypress on the south side of kits. I do like that shell on main and 2nd. It’s my go to fill up before I head home whenever coming back from downtown. It always has the cheapest gas in town most of the time. But again not enough of them to go around. I wholeheartedly agree that our city infrastructure can’t handle the volume of congestion as it is.   We are late to the party and we will see how long until the ride sharing bleeding red bubble finally pops. But hey today marks  the day it finally arrived, For the better we hope.

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Look at what that person was piad for the station and you understand why they sold the property.

12 minutes ago, Violator said:

Look at what that person was piad for the station and you understand why they sold the property.

Oh for sure 72 million reasons to sell the property would compel most to do so. It’s a big win for the owner, big loss for anyone in Vancouver looking to fill up before getting out of town on the 99 on Georgia street. That used to be my station before I went up to a Whistler almost every weekend. But in the owners case it’s his land and he’s laughing all the way to the bank in his Tesla where the rest of gas dependent drivers have fewer options to fill up in the downtown core.

8974CC76-0437-47D8-A276-2C58E57DFF4D.jpeg

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

That Esso that used to be beside West Beach on the corner of 4th and Burrard is gone now. There only remains the Petro Canada on 4th and Cypress on the south side of kits. I do like that shell on main and 2nd. It’s my go to fill up before I head home whenever coming back from downtown. It always has the cheapest gas in town most of the time. But again not enough of them to go around. I wholeheartedly agree that our city infrastructure can’t handle the volume of congestion as it is.   We are late to the party and we will see how long until the ride sharing bleeding red bubble finally pops. But hey today marks  the day it finally arrived, For the better we hope.

The cheapest price for gas in Vancouver is at the corner of 12th Ave and Clark, there is a Shell and Super Save kitty corner from each other.   There is daily, or even hourly gas wars going on at that location.   It usually starts with Super Save, which  have lowest gas prices anyway, that lowers first and then Shell either matches it or come close to it.

Also, if you want to know the lowest price gas anywhere, use the Gas Buddy app.  It will show the lowest gas prices anywhere.

Edited by DonLever
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Also, if you want to know the lowest price gas anywhere, use the Gas Buddy app.  It will show the lowest gas prices anywhere.

Fair warning to all using the app... it is not always accurate, including whether a station still exists. It is a decent app, and I still use it, but got messed up on a Vegas trip where the station the app suggested was gone for months.

At least for areas you are familiar with, it should work great.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:06 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'll ride transit, before I ride uber. 

No different than Taxi companies. Except Uber and Lyft drivers will get slave wages, while the company makes all the money. 

Two wrongs don't make a right. 

Uber wasn’t meant to be a full time career/job; it was an alternative to a second job where you could make some extra pocket money by giving someone a ride on your way home after work. 

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

Uber wasn’t meant to be a full time career/job; it was an alternative to a second job where you could make some extra pocket money by giving someone a ride on your way home after work. 

When it comes to the Taxi Industry, isn't it the value of the Taxi Licence the main thing that make money,and not the drivers.  How much money do taxi drivers make anyway?

Do Taxi drivers make the minimum wage?  And how do Uber/Lyft earn their money?   Per hour, commission, percentage of the fee?   Suppose the fare is $30, how much does a Uber driver make vs how much do a taxi driver make.