The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning: Look What I Found ...

Rate this topic

Dr. Crossbar

30 minutes ago, 6string said:

I loved that paper, i spent so much time in the back pages with WHL, AHL stats and of course the NHL. I had a subscription which if I recall correctly came on Tuesdays :) 

BTW Toronto is on the same rebuild since 1967....

They had ads for rollerblades before they were called "rollerblades". ;)

TO on year 15 of the rebuild at the time of this cover. 

The year before this, Benning was drafted #6 overall.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, a couple years ago I went back east to sort old boxes of things I packed up from growing up and found this below.

I've been meaning to post this. It's been on my phone for two years.

This is an issue of The Hockey News from January 29, 1982. The cover photo features Toronto's defensive youth movement - Bob McGill (center), Fred Boimistruck (left) and our GM, Jim Benning, 37 years ago.

Interesting how we're comparing our rebuild to that of Toronto all these years later since this cover.

Thoughts?

FOTO_20190820_194805.jpg

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Dr. C...I vividly remember this particular issue, with JB, McGill and Boimistruck on the cover.  Benning and Boimistruck the two smallish PMD and Big Bad Bob McGill that threw it down as good as anyone during his day.  Hate to admit it, but was bit of a Leafs fan as a kid growing up in Winnipeg.  Thought the three "babes" were going to be something special. Never really panned out for the three of them.

I must have had a subscription to THN since 1979.  I used to read it cover to cover.  I think it cost less than $30 for the entire year.  I loved the draft preview issues.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Image result for mike gillis 2008

Image result for mike gillis 2014

Gillis too.

I feel for Benning, great guy, this job just weighs on people. 

Geez!! While some of the things that cause that come with the job, that’s just unnecessary! That would prob happen in 1 day if you listened to 1040 today. Lol! 

I feel bad bad for him as well!

Edited by IRR
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Dr. C...I vividly remember this particular issue, with JB, McGill and Boimistruck on the cover.  Benning and Boimistruck the two smallish PMD and Big Bad Bob McGill that threw it down as good as anyone during his day.  Hate to admit it, but was bit of a Leafs fan as a kid growing up in Winnipeg.  Thought the three "babes" were going to be something special. Never really panned out for the three of them.

I must have had a subscription to THN since 1979.  I used to read it cover to cover.  I think it cost less than $30 for the entire year.  I loved the draft preview issues.

Cool that you remember this issue. When I found it, the cover instantly transported me to that time period.

Funny, I think there was another earlier issue of THN with just Benning on the cover after the draft. I had that as well. It may have been a magazine but I thought it was THN. I remember Benning was the only person on the cover.

Used to read it cover to cover as well. 

• Cheers 1

interesting banners at the top there..

the Oilers were 'slumping' in 82.. who knew? they were already quite a powerhouse,  finished 2nd in the league that year

also interesting about the Rockies moving to Ottawa.. didn't know OTT was even in the expansion picture back then. 

• Cheers 1