The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning: Look What I Found ...

Rate this topic

Dr. Crossbar

I loved The Hockey News as a kid. Subscribed to it for probably about 5 years during my teens until I realized I could find a lot of the stuff I loved on there on various websites and through other media forms.

For anyone curious, Benning's best NHL season was in 1983-84 when he scored 12 goals and 51 points as a defenseman for the Leafs. We could use a 51-point defenseman right now...:thinking:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Is that even the same Human? 

If anyone thought Benning wasn't doing everything he can for this team, look at those pictures! I don't think he gets enough credit for how hard working he is. Either that or he's a raging alcoholic (poor joke).

Being a GM has taken it's toll on Benning. He's constantly under fire by half the (vocal) fanbase and *ahem* *1040* but he's remained calm, kept moving forward, he showed up for every interview, turned over damn near every stone in trade/free agency this summer. I don't think his work ethic can be questioned. 

Benning might not be the best GM but he's 100% invested, working his tail off trying to learn from his mistakes and make this team better. Love him or hate him, you can't knock his hustle/dedication. He also seems like a good human being to boot. Respect to you Mr Benning.

Well said! I def don’t think you can say that for every GM.

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benning's not holding up quite as good either.

Image result for jim benning 2014

Image result for jim benning 2019

Looks like its been longer than 5 years, that's for sure. I appreciate his hard work though!!

Well, when you have to deal with a bunch of parasites that publicly mock you and criticize your every move, it eventually wears on you.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

interesting banners at the top there..

the Oilers were 'slumping' in 82.. who knew? they were already quite a powerhouse,  finished 2nd in the league that year

also interesting about the Rockies moving to Ottawa.. didn't know OTT was even in the expansion picture back then. 

I thought the same thing. Don't remember Ottawa being in the expansion talk that early when the Rockies were playing. It was full decade before Ottawa entered the league.

Oilers went from "slumping" to "thumping" lol

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I loved The Hockey News as a kid. Subscribed to it for probably about 5 years during my teens until I realized I could find a lot of the stuff I loved on there on various websites and through other media forms.

For anyone curious, Benning's best NHL season was in 1983-84 when he scored 12 goals and 51 points as a defenseman for the Leafs. We could use a 51-point defenseman right now...:thinking:

I just looked at Benning's final year stats for the Portland Winterhawks. In 72 games, he had 28 goals and 111 assists. No wonder he went Top 10. 

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Is that even the same Human? 

If anyone thought Benning wasn't doing everything he can for this team, look at those pictures! I don't think he gets enough credit for how hard working he is. Either that or he's a raging alcoholic (poor joke).

Being a GM has taken it's toll on Benning. He's constantly under fire by half the (vocal) fanbase and *ahem* *1040* but he's remained calm, kept moving forward, he showed up for every interview, turned over damn near every stone in trade/free agency this summer. I don't think his work ethic can be questioned. 

Benning might not be the best GM but he's 100% invested, working his tail off trying to learn from his mistakes and make this team better. Love him or hate him, you can't knock his hustle/dedication. He also seems like a good human being to boot. Respect to you Mr Benning.

Excellent perspective! That ethic also has a ripple effect. Good benchmark for players to see their GM applying it himself.

That ethic and character often wins the long game, which I believe Benning is just starting to win. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Excellent perspective! That ethic also has a ripple effect. Good benchmark for players to see their GM applying it himself.

That ethic and character often wins the long game, which I believe Benning is just starting to win. 

That's my opinion as well. No GM is going to make 100% perfect moves, and I think we got our 'training wheels mistakes' out of the way during a period when the whole team was a training wheels mistake.

He's never seemed to change his approach of just good hard work to get the job done, and when somebody sees the bossman doing that, it's good for morale in general. He believes in the project, so it's up to everybody else to buy in at that point - rather than some doofus just going through the motions of icing a roster.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, brownky said:

That's my opinion as well. No GM is going to make 100% perfect moves, and I think we got our 'training wheels mistakes' out of the way during a period when the whole team was a training wheels mistake.

He's never seemed to change his approach of just good hard work to get the job done, and when somebody sees the bossman doing that, it's good for morale in general. He believes in the project, so it's up to everybody else to buy in at that point - rather than some doofus just going through the motions of icing a roster.

That's a good way to look at it just on a general level. When looking at his time here to date, I think it's important to separate the team he inherited, and the decision-making dynamics, from the team he created and the decisions made post-Sedins.

I think his belief in the project is largely tied to ownership having the patience to look long-term so things are done right. It seems like we really are at that place of a unified vision from top down in the organization. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, when you have to deal with a bunch of parasites that publicly mock you and criticize your every move, it eventually wears on you.

Jim's a professional with many years of prior front office experience, I'm sure hes not paying a ton of mind to that stuff.

Im sure the years of losing, constant injuries, nonexistent draft lotto luck, exc. have contributed more.

• Like 1