The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Brock stuff  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree with Jason Brough that Dahliwal's tweet (the one I posted) is likely from the agent. But the fact we probably won't be able to sign Brock long term is atleast a little concerning.

I've said it before, near 20 million last year spent on bottom 6 players, the cap management has not been great. As a rebuilding team you are absolutely going to have to overpay for players, but you can't be doing that forever. I'm fine with Tyler Myers because we've need top 4 D for so long. But now here we are with Boeser & signings of the past are hurting us. In fairness to Benning the Luongo recapture is also hurting us (and arguably the difference) but if you didn't have Schaller or Beagle, Boeser might already be here. 

There's still time for sure, like I said it could very well be Dahliwal carrying water for the agent here & the agent trying to put pressure on the Canucks. But I'd be surprised at this point if its a long term deal (which would have been the ideal contract) and we are under some pressure because we absolutely need Brock Boeser in this lineup & ready to play at 100%. There's no time to wait anymore. The goal is full on playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree with Jason Brough that Dahliwal's tweet (the one I posted) is likely from the agent. But the fact we probably won't be able to sign Brock long term is atleast a little concerning.

I've said it before, near 20 million last year spent on bottom 6 players, the cap management has not been great. As a rebuilding team you are absolutely going to have to overpay for players, but you can't be doing that forever. I'm fine with Tyler Myers because we've need top 4 D for so long. But now here we are with Boeser & signings of the past are hurting us. In fairness to Benning the Luongo recapture is also hurting us (and arguably the difference) but if you didn't have Schaller or Beagle, Boeser might already be here. 

There's still time for sure, like I said it could very well be Dahliwal carrying water for the agent here & the agent trying to put pressure on the Canucks. But I'd be surprised at this point if its a long term deal (which would have been the ideal contract) and we are under some pressure because we absolutely need Brock Boeser in this lineup & ready to play at 100%. There's no time to wait anymore. The goal is full on playoffs. 

I don't think Beagle is hurting us...they brought needs we needed and rooster was brought in cause DD got hurt....

the guys that hurt us are Sutter and Loui and both were brought in to help the Sedins.....there would be a market for Sutter if he wasn't  injuried so often..... 

Also this might get me flamed hard on here.....I could see goldy stepping  up... Ferland Petey and goldy, would be a decent line , sure Brock would be ideal but I could see us making the playoffs with or without Brock....

the whole team is better and we have some great depth guys.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I don't think Beagle is hurting us...they brought needs we needed and rooster was brought in cause DD got hurt....

the guys that hurt us are Sutter and Loui and both were brought in to help the Sedins.....there would be a market for Sutter if he wasn't  injuried so often..... 

Also this might get me flamed hard on here.....I could see goldy stepping  up... Ferland Petey and goldy, would be a decent line , sure Brock would be ideal but I could see us making the playoffs with or without Brock....

the whole team is better and we have some great depth guys.....

I agree the team is better. But I absolutely cannot see the team making the playoff without Brock. Worst offensive team in the league after Xmas, bottom 3rd PP, and you are removing your best pure goal scorer? I know we've added players that will improve the offense, but I still don't see it personally.

Beagle's contract hurts us. As a player I can appreciate what he brings. Although the analytics guys will tell you our bottom 6 was outscored 2 to 1 & that has to change if its the case. 

I agree Sutter & Loui are the big fish. Loui was a bad signing that we hoped could work but it was also doomed for failure. Sutter on the otherhand we paid a (atleast) fair price for, and signed to an overpayment of a contract. That one definitely hurts looking back.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
worst offense after Xmas*
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree the team is better. But I absolutely cannot see the team making the playoff without Brock. Worst offensive team in the league, bottom 3rd PP, and you are removing your best pure goal scorer? I know we've added players that will improve the offense, but I still don't see it personally.

Beagle's contract hurts us. As a player I can appreciate what he brings. Although the analytics guys will tell you our bottom 6 was outscored 2 to 1 & that has to change if its the case. 

I agree Sutter & Loui are the big fish. Loui was a bad signing that we hoped could work but it was also doomed for failure. Sutter on the otherhand we paid a (atleast) fair price for, and signed to an overpayment of a contract. That one definitely hurts looking back.

I think thx to adding Miller ferland and Myers and then add Hughes, our PP alone will go up and for a long time we couldnt have two decent units and now we might have balance....

i agree it would be easier with Brock but goldy showed flashes with Petey , that they can play good together and in that case I could see Petey scoring more cause goldy with set him up....

then having a second line Miller bo and Jake , all three could score 20.....

then look at the third line Sven Guad or Sutter with rooster or Levio, Sven is a good set up man and Sutter has a decent shot and Levio could be a good fit there too or Pearson.....see where I'm going with this?

we will have one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL , ours will be way better then the oilers , so I think playoffs are closer then you think.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think thx to adding Miller ferland and Myers and then add Hughes, our PP alone will go up and for a long time we couldnt have two decent units and now we might have balance....

i agree it would be easier with Brock but goldy showed flashes with Petey , that they can play good together and in that case I could see Petey scoring more cause goldy with set him up....

then look at the third line Sven Guad or Sutter with rooster or Levio, Sven is a good set up man and Sutter has a decent shot and Levio could be a good fit there too or Pearson.....see where I'm going with this?

we will have one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL , ours will be way better then the oilers , so I think playoffs are closer then you think.....

I agree our depth is alot better. Though I'm not as confident in Goldy & Jake as you are. Goldy was good early last year then wasn't really a big factor, same with Jake. 

Deepest forward groups in the NHL? I'll need to see it first personally. We are better than the Oilers, but that's not exactly a high bar. I appreciate your optimism but I think Brock isn't easily replaced on this team, if at all. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree our depth is alot better. Though I'm not as confident in Goldy & Jake as you are. Goldy was good early last year then wasn't really a big factor, same with Jake. 

Deepest forward groups in the NHL? I'll need to see it first personally. We are better than the Oilers, but that's not exactly a high bar. I appreciate your optimism but I think Brock isn't easily replaced on this team, if at all. 

I agree right now we need Brock but I think we could weather the storm until he signed....

I should say by best I mean balanced and overall better , then most teams. 

I'm not trying to over hype the team but Hughes and Myers will help our pp big time...

may I ask what are your thoughts on it? And why you think we wouldn't make the playoffs?

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

LOOOL

brock-boeser-high-school-hair.jpg

Edited by BrockBoester

30 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

LOOOL

brock-boeser-high-school-hair.jpg

Huh? You don't think so? Then maybe try to use your words....

I'm not saying it would be easier but I think it's doable cause our depth and we have a la kings type team, fast big and skill. 

Wild card spot wouldn't hurt my feelings. 

Also I like Brock but I'm sure his under 30 goals can be made up by ferland and Miller and with Jake taking another step and maybe goldy too. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Also I like Brock but I'm sure his under 30 goals can be made up by ferland and Miller and with Jake taking another step and maybe goldy too. 

........Nevermind.

Anyway, not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet, but here's another article from NHL.com

Horvat's comments on Boeser's contract situation

VANCOUVER -- Brock Boeser remains a restricted free agent for the Vancouver Canucks, and with training camp set to begin Sept. 13, Bo Horvat knows exactly what his teammate is going through.

Horvat signed a six-year, $33 million contract with Vancouver on Sept. 8, 2017, five days before camp began that season.

"It was right before camp. I am happy we got it done when we did," said Horvat, who had an NHL career-high 61 points (27 goals, 34 assists) in 82 games last season. "It is stressful because you want to get a deal done, you want to get back with your teammates, and you want to be there for camp and get going before the season starts. It definitely helps that way to get you mentally and physically prepared for the season, so I thought it was huge to get it done."

Horvat said he has talked to Boeser, who was third on the Canucks last season with 56 points (26 goals, 30 assists) despite missing 13 games because of a groin injury.

Boeser had 55 points (29 goals, 26 assists) in 62 games in 2017-18, missing the final 16 games because of a back injury, and finished second in voting for the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie of the year behind Mathew Barzal of the New York Islanders.

"Obviously, Brock wants to be here, he wants to be part of the team, so now hopefully they can get something done and he can come be with his teammates," Horvat said.

One of the reasons Horvat said he wanted to sign his contract before training camp began was the trend of players having poor seasons after missing camp.

"It is in the back of your mind. Guys have had history where they come in late and get off to rocky starts," Horvat said. "That was one of the big reasons why we signed so quick."

With Vancouver hoping to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in five seasons, it can ill afford a slow start from Boeser, who plays on the top line and power play with center Elias Pettersson, who won the Calder Trophy last season after he led rookies with 66 points (28 goals, 38 assists) in 71 games.

"Definitely it would be good to have him for training camp, especially team bonding and getting used to systems and new guys," Horvat said. "But at the same time, Brock is a great hockey player. He is going to figure it out no matter what, and hopefully he can get something done in the near future."

4 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

........Nevermind.

Anyway, not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet, but here's another article from NHL.com

Horvat's comments on Boeser's contract situation

....never mind.....condensing much?......

I'm looking at it if Jim stands tall and I'm not saying it would be easy but it's doable.....also Brock isn't Petey so yea it would suck if he sat out but it's not the end of the world....it only hurts Brock and while Brock isn't playing goldy will show off what he can do with Petey and he looked good too.( green played goldy with Petey and Brock but the line was to soft, which that changes with either ferland or Miller) 

Don't get me wrong I want Brock there at camp and he makes our team that much stronger but for the first time in a long time we have options....we have the forward talent to ride out the storm either way...

9 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Really? Another small D man with Hughes  and stech....... I rather offer sheet mcavoy if we're going for another smaller guy

6' 210lb McAvoy? What would you give up...... 1st 2nd and 3rd?

Honka will be free at some point this season probably. I like him still. Think a change of scenery will be good for him.   

9 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Agreed! People are panicking about Boeser potentially not being here and missing his points, but there’s Ferland, Miller, Myers, Benn $ Hughes added to the mix. Plus, increases from others. That more than makes up for missing Boeser’s points. Is it better if he’s here, 100%! Do I want him here, 100%! But, the sky’s not falling if he’s not. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

6' 210lb McAvoy? What would you give up...... 1st 2nd and 3rd?

Honka will be free at some point this season probably. I like him still. Think a change of scenery will be good for him.   

My bad I didn't think he was 6,2 

i would give up a 1 and 2 and a 3 , pretty much what we have up for Miller but the 2 and Charlie could be the piece that pushes us over the top....picture Hughes and Charlie drool lol

i agree but I don't think van will pick him up cause you don't win with three smurfs in your top six , I can't think of one team built their D like that and did good in the playoffs...

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

All Benning has to do is give him one year at 6.5-7 and re-sign him with the extra cap next year - plus if both sides really want a long term deal training camp and the pre-season will undoubtedly bring some trade opportunities - guys gets injured on every team and Benning has several cheap options on short contracts that other teams might find interesting.   He can figure something out - look Chakya did in short order to fix things.  He’s just holding on to his depth as long as he can and trying to make it work with what he’s got first - we can be over the cap until the season starts too...