The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Brock stuff  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I can't really picture BB6's agent turning to him and saying "this seems like a fair deal"... and Brock saying "no, I want more." But, sure. He could be for all we know. 

Well what really happens is that the agent advises the player to cash in.   That this might be the last contract you ever get.  Injuries happen and forced retirement happens.  It’s a dangerous game with no guarantees.

so to think that the agent and Brock are not working lock-step is a mistake.

and now lots of RFAs are signing large deals.  The Canucks have overspent in support, and this is only the first contract problem the team faces - what is it? Another 3 huge contract problems in the next few years?   Maybe not but probably....  every core piece is going to want 8-10 million at least 

It is obvious the team didn’t expect the core to want large contracts in RFA.  The salary structure isn’t geared around that.   They were supposed to wait another 3/4 years....  I think the team has to adjust on the fly now, which is hard to do with contracts.  Overpaying for support means that everyone expects to be overpaid.... It’s a tough situation.  

17 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

So Hypothetically speaking

How many would trade him for any other of the RFA holdouts that might have told their agents, "Get me traded to Vancouver, I will take that Canuck offer Brock apparently turned down" and which players straight across? 

The suggestion was Boeser to Minny for Zucker plus a 1st round pick. Zucker is 27 and has 3 more years at $5.5 and scored 22, 33 and 21 in the last 3 seasons. I have no idea if that would be feasible, as u sai just hypothetical ::D

Edited by Fred65

8 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

Well what really happens is that the agent advises the player to cash in.   That this might be the last contract you ever get.  Injuries happen and forced retirement happens.  It’s a dangerous game with no guarantees.

so to think that the agent and Brock are not working lock-step is a mistake.

and now lots of RFAs are signing large deals.  The Canucks have overspent in support, and this is only the first contract problem the team faces - what is it? Another 3 huge contract problems in the next few years?   Maybe not but probably....  every core piece is going to want 8-10 million at least 

It is obvious the team didn’t expect the core to want large contracts in RFA.  The salary structure isn’t geared around that.   They were supposed to wait another 3/4 years....  I think the team has to adjust on the fly now, which is hard to do with contracts.  Overpaying for support means that everyone expects to be overpaid.... It’s a tough situation.  

It appears the team have a "game plan" and they are sticking to it as it is showing with their dealings with BB. Support players are already in place so no need to overpay them at this point. Petey and Hughes are the only two which I foresee will command the at least 8-10 million contracts you speak of and many other players will be off the books by then, with the exception of LE who will have 1 year remaining. I suspect he will probably be moved on by then though.

There is Cap room at this point and the team should stick to their guns and not overspend on a player such as Boes. I really don't want to see a Toronto cap situation here in a couple of years and so it has to start now and the team needs stick to the overall plan.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

It appears the team have a "game plan" and they are sticking to it as it is showing with their dealings with BB. Support players are already in place so no need to overpay them at this point. Petey and Hughes are the only two which I foresee will command the at least 8-10 million contracts you speak of and many other players will be off the books by then, with the exception of LE who will have 1 year remaining. I suspect he will probably be moved on by then though.

There is Cap room at this point and the team should stick to their guns and not overspend on a player such as Boes. I really don't want to see a Toronto cap situation here in a couple of years and so it has to start now and the team needs stick to the overall plan.

we might see a similar situation with Hughes since he's also a 10.2(c) RFA. Petey is going to get full term and max salary. Hell he might get multiple offer sheets. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh Petey won't sign them. But he will get them (assuming he isn't extended at the end of this year). 

That's better ha yea I can see him pulling a Mcdavid and signing early....something about Petey tells me he cares more about winning then money....

could see him signing for 8 mill...

just so the team around him will be better

18 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That's better ha yea I can see him pulling a Mcdavid and signing early....something about Petey tells me he cares more about winning then money....

could see him signing for 8 mill...

just so the team around him will be better

I would be incredibly surprised if he signed for 8 mil. If he keeps improving the way many of us think he is capable of, $10mil x 8 would be a bargain.

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I would be incredibly surprised if he signed for 8 mil. If he keeps improving the way many of us think he is capable of, $10mil x 8 would be a bargain.

Hard to say, he's still got a long way to go.  He started off like a house on fire, but he limped through the second half of the season as teams started to put their focus on him.  

That said, the newly purchased depth should help.

3 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I agree his worth more but he wants to win so bad and he has saw what mcdavids deal has done to its team....I just seem signing to a discount to win a cup or three. 

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I agree his worth more but he wants to win so bad and he has saw what mcdavids deal has done to its team....I just seem signing to a discount to win a cup or three. 

I'm just so high on Pettersson that I think 10 mil AAV will be a discount. 

• Upvote 1