The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sutter for Pulujarvi

Sure...why not.  Free's up cap space.  We roll the dice on JP (and hope he comes up big).  Our 3rd line centre can be whomever slots in the best (Beagle, Miller, Gaudette).  But EDM should throw in a mid-to-low (3rd - 5th round) draft pick to compensate getting the best player in the deal.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This helps out the Oilers a lot. Like a lot. JP is still an interesting prospect though, just not sure we really want to shore up a division rival like this. 

I don’t consider Edmonton a rival and I don’t think that adding Sutter gets them into competing with us for a playoff spot.

Maybe if folks think it is helping them out  TOO much, that PP PLUS Khaira isn’t a bad ask in return for Sutter.

Ferland-Petterson-Boeser

Pulujarvi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Khaira-Beagle-Leivo

Motte-Baertschi

Starting lineup plan for training camp to see if Pulujarvi can actually get some chemistry in a top six role, and slide him down and slot in Pearson if he doesn’t.  Not a lineup that lacks size and grit, that is for sure.

Once Roussel gets back we would be able to move one of our bottom half guys out for a return to a team that has suffered an injury or have a player hasn’t worked out.

• Like 1

Just now, Provost said:

I don’t consider Edmonton a rival and I don’t think that adding Sutter gets them into competing with us for a playoff spot.

Maybe if folks think it is helping them out  TOO much, that PP PLUS Khaira isn’t a bad ask in return for Sutter.

Ferland-Petterson-Boeser

Pulujarvi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Khaira-Beagle-Leivo

Motte-Baertschi

Starting lineup plan for training camp to see if Pulujarvi can actually get some chemistry in a top six role, and slide him down and slot in Pearson if he doesn’t.  Not a lineup that lacks size and grit, that is for sure.

Once Roussel gets back we would be able to move one of our bottom half guys out for a return to a team that has suffered an injury or have a player hasn’t worked out.

when Sutter is healthy he's a very good shut down C. He'll be the guy we match up against McDavid much of the time. 

So assuming good health, I do think it benefits Edmonton a lot. RNH is freed up for more offensive starts and they actually have a good shut down line in Sutter and Granny too. 

I see why you would suggest the deal, I'd just rather do it with an eastern team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think this is a trade that would benefit both teams and I think it should happen personally.  It is what Edmonton needs and they can likely make the cap work.  We need scoring depth with high potential as we have depth in the bottom 6 C depth area.  Sutter likely holds move value this year, but that starts to adjust each year with JP becoming the better value.  Make it happen JB!

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

when Sutter is healthy he's a very good shut down C. He'll be the guy we match up against McDavid much of the time. 

So assuming good health, I do think it benefits Edmonton a lot. RNH is freed up for more offensive starts and they actually have a good shut down line in Sutter and Granny too. 

I see why you would suggest the deal, I'd just rather do it with an eastern team. 

I see it as risk on both sides for sure.  Puljujarvi may never be an NHL player, Sutter may not be healthy or be able to keep up for the remainder of his contract.

Acceptable risk on both sides as neither side is giving up a lot.  Us swapping Sutter for Gaudette on the roster isn’t too big of a hit since Beagle is there and Horvat as another option for some defensive minutes in case of injury.

Edmonton ending up with the Sutter of the last two years doesn’t hurt them too bad since they are giving up little off their roster in terms of PP and Khaira.  They lose a little muscle, but Kassian plays that role well.  PP is no loss to them aside as an asset.

We win the upside possibility though, the best possible Pulujarvi is a whole lot better than the best possible Sutter.

Anyways, just an idea.

• Cheers 2

Not a bad idea.

I think the main issue could be that EDM can’t really afford Sutter now. They only have $2.43m in space right now. This is with 14 forwards signed, so they may waive Nygard and Jurco to clear a further $1.675. But this leaves them about $0.3m over cap with a 22 man roster.

The rumor is that they are going to sign Derick Brassard on the cheap to temporarily solve their center issues. They will probably get him for around $3.0-3.5m for one year.

6 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Not a bad idea.

I think the main issue could be that EDM can’t really afford Sutter now. They only have $2.43m in space right now. This is with 14 forwards signed, so they may waive Nygard and Jurco to clear a further $1.675. But this leaves them about $0.3m over cap with a 22 man roster.

The rumor is that they are going to sign Derick Brassard on the cheap to temporarily solve their center issues. They will probably get him for around $3.0-3.5m for one year.

That WAS their plan until he signed with New York yesterday.... hence the proposal today as another alternative.

They can wrangle the cap to fit him, as I said, some money would have to come our way in the deal.

Khaira coming our way and Nygard in the minors gives them a little over $4.5 million in cap space with a 22 man roster I think.... enough to fit in Sutter as their 23rd guy.  They can also run at 22 players and demote a 2nd forward to give them a million in short term replacement leeway.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I can't be the only one who thinks there's no way EDM does this.

I like Sutter, but he has negative value given his contract and injury issues.

Puljujarvi still has potential. They can get more for him in return.

I agree that Sutter's value isn't that high, but neither is Puljujarvi's at the moment.  I think the key here is that Edmonton can't attract free agents and their prospects aren't ready and usually never are.  They get a core need at the expense of a prospect that is not fitting their team, city etc.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

That WAS their plan until he signed with New York yesterday.... hence the proposal today as another alternative.

They can wrangle the cap to fit him, as I said, some money would have to come our way in the deal.

Basically Sutter and JP are the basis of the deal and if we need to retain a bit to make it work then so be it.  Likely is the delta which allows the new Boeser deal to fit without any additional moves needed.  To be clear, fitting the Boeser deal in is not a difficult issue, just that this moves solves it quickly and easily.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Khaira coming our way and Nygard in the minors gives them a little over $4.5 million in cap space with a 22 man roster I think.... enough to fit in Sutter as their 23rd guy.  They can also run at 22 players and demote a 2nd forward to give them a million in short term replacement leeway.

Oh I missed the Brassard signing! Carry on!

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I agree that Sutter's value isn't that high, but neither is Puljujarvi's at the moment.  I think the key here is that Edmonton can't attract free agents and their prospects aren't ready and usually never are.  They get a core need at the expense of a prospect that is not fitting their team, city etc.

I wouldn't say Sutter is a core need, there are players like him available every summer in free agency.

Would we trade Juolevi for an injury prone bottom six player with a high cap hit? No chance. Despite Puljujarvis comments, he should at least get a potential top six player in return.

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like the idea, but agree with other posters. When healthy Sutter is still a very useful 3rd C.

I think with some additions it could work, as you say there might need to be some money back, but I also think if we are helping EDM out there should be another part too it.

Useful, meaning that we don't have to have Bo doing all of the heavy lifting.

Meaning Bo can focus on offense for a season, Hockey Gods willing, if Sutter stays healthy.

Health is the biggest thing, and Sutter missed something absurd like 8 games until he was as Canuck.

If this team remains relatively healthy, and Markstrom has the same kind of season, this team is off like a shot into space.

Edited by xereau

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like the idea, but agree with other posters. When healthy Sutter is still a very useful 3rd C.

I think with some additions it could work, as you say there might need to be some money back, but I also think if we are helping EDM out there should be another part too it.

I with you on this one Smash

I also think Sutter has good value for a 3rd line center, who has versatility of playing up and wing...…...he is when healthy a pretty good swiss army knife

In saying that Pool party still has potential upside, so I think it will be a little hard for Edmonton to give up on the kid......Value wise, I think Sutter has more value

but, potential wise, Pool party far out weighs Sutter...…….

What I would like is, which is being discussed is...……..

Pool Party + Khaira

for

Sutter ( 2M retained) + the lesser of Brisebois/Sautner

That keeps Edmonton under the cap

and gives Vancouver another 1.8 M for 2 year to sign Boeser after paying Khaira

The reason for adding Brisebois/Sautner to the deal is that it gives Edmonton a little more depth, while taking from a strong point of our depth

(We also need to clear a LHD because we will have Rathbone coming on line)

• Cheers 1