The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sutter for Pulujarvi

If that trade was offered we would take that and run...we save a ton of cap for an injury prone, non playmaking C in Sutter. We have our 3m vet C in Beagle, who plays a hard nosed game and I believe is better at faceoffs.

For 1 or more people saying they would want more than JP for Sutter...not sure what world your living in, Sutter has negative value with his contract and cap hit. That was another blunder of a trade and extension before he even played a game. 

Here is hoping Sutter stays healthy, Gaud plays well and we can trade Sutter at the TDL as well as Tanev

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry, I don't agree with your validation of Puljujvaris…………...he is starting his draft +4 year, with not much to show for it. And as a Offensive player, having had the chance to play with McDavid, he should have shown more...…...

As for Juolevi...….people have to get off his case, he has been injured (which is his only draw back) his development has been fine (defensemen take longer to develop), but yes, he comes with risk too!

I am in agreement with you that Sutter is not a core player...……..never was IMO

"Foundational player" I feel was appropriate, too bad about the injuries. Sutter is a true pro and a good man to have had around through those years of retooling the club. We are at the next level of the process.

I like our strength and depth through center, Pettersson, Horvat, Sutter and Beagle, that's a solid and tough middle for teams to play agianst. I expect if Sutter is healthy he will have better value and be moved by trading deadline, enter Gaudette.

Edited by 6string
through
  • Upvote 1

I don't think Edmonton is trading Pool party within the division and if they do it'll be for more than a 30 year old 3rd line center that doesn't really score. Has missed roughly 80 total games in the last two seasons. If anything they'd be better off trading him to Calgary for Bennett. At least Bennett has some tread left on his tires and is cheaper.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We don't need Pool Party.  That ship has sailed.  We have Podkolzin and Hoglander coming in a couple years.  I think they will both have better NHL careers than Pool Party.

Agreed.  I don't think they need to be searching for "core" players, at least players who will demand core dollars, on the trade market.  Puljujarvi at this point is a long shot.  Maybe this is the reason why Kekalainen passed; character.

Benning was very pleased at the 2 players he drafted this year.  He thinks they are both should have been drafted before they were

• Upvote 1

Good proposal.  Remember when pre-draft all the hype about whom was better Laine - or Puljajarvi (should have included Aho instead in hindsight).  They were considered pretty equally balanced and it was anyone’s guess as to who would go first.  Laine had the better shot but Puljajarvi a better playmaker and all around player (that could also shoot).   I’d do this simply to rid us of Sutters cap, but don’t know if EDM would given his injury history and the cap hit.  They could do better elsewhere or sign Thornton if he’d come and keep their assets...

5 hours ago, Provost said:

That is the most ridiculous logic I have ever heard.

We are one of the worst teams in the league and need all the help we can get. Most good teams have three effective scoring lines nowadays.  We currently have three locks in the top six, and three other guys who played farther down the roster on better teams (Ferland, Miller, Pearson).

Two players who “may” turn out 2-3 years down the road is no sort of reason to avoid getting talent.

You know what happens if you luck out and end up with an excess of talented players?  You trade them for high end picks and get to rotate in cheap young ELC players into your roster.

It isn’t something to avoid.

Absolutely although Miller isn’t on the third line on any team not named TB...maybe TO too but only if they wanted him as a center and not a winger.    He’s a quality top six guy on most teams.   It’s like saying Horvat is a third line center on good teams because he would be on well TO and TB too.  

Other then that yes I’d rather have Pool Party then quite a few of our forwards given his upside, and agree three scoring lines are better then two mediocre top ones and two defensive lines anyday.    Plus if for some reason we have too many great young forward prospects  we could swap them to help the defense and or add picks...

Question:  Benning recently said he’d like to try and get our first back (and that he’s never traded a first rounder before like this) - who on our team would let us do that?  Only a core guy or one of our better prospects...OJ comes to mind IF he kills it as an AHLer - but that seems counterintuitive given our need for young defense is great.   Certainly not Sutter - that boat has sailed.   Maybe Ferland if he breaks out playing with EP...hard to say really.   I guessed Miller ha ha...

8 hours ago, Provost said:

That is the most ridiculous logic I have ever heard.

We are one of the worst teams in the league and need all the help we can get. Most good teams have three effective scoring lines nowadays.  We currently have three locks in the top six, and three other guys who played farther down the roster on better teams (Ferland, Miller, Pearson).

Two players who “may” turn out 2-3 years down the road is no sort of reason to avoid getting talent.

You know what happens if you luck out and end up with an excess of talented players?  You trade them for high end picks and get to rotate in cheap young ELC players into your roster.

It isn’t something to avoid.

Have you looked at our roster lately?  Where exactly are we slotting Pool Party?  You do realize he needs to clear waivers right?  So we are going to play Pearson, Miller and Ferland in the bottom 6 so Pool Party can take a spot with either BO or Petey?  How did that work out last year when he played with McDavid?  If he can't even play with McDavid how is he going to play with Petey?

And we are not one of the worst teams in the league.  We've acquired enough talent to make the playoffs this year.  I'd much rather surround our young core with veterans like Ferland, Miller, Pearson and Sutter than some reject from Edmonton who can't even play with McDavid and went back home to Finland to hold out because he can't even make it with a crappy team like Edmonton.

Podkolzin is a slam dunk to make this team.  Have you even watched him play?  He is the exact opposite of Pool Party, as he actually has a work ethic and gets his nose dirty.  Same with Hoglander.  They are both beauties.  Looking forward to both of them playing in the NHL.  Podkolzin has the talent to be dominant.  

The ship has sailed for Pool Party.  I'd rather keep Sutter and use him in a 3rd line role so this team can make the playoffs versus taking a shot at a guy who can't even crack the Oilers roster...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Have you looked at our roster lately?  Where exactly are we slotting Pool Party?  You do realize he needs to clear waivers right?  So we are going to play Pearson, Miller and Ferland in the bottom 6 so Pool Party can take a spot with either BO or Petey?  How did that work out last year when he played with McDavid?  If he can't even play with McDavid how is he going to play with Petey?

And we are not one of the worst teams in the league.  We've acquired enough talent to make the playoffs this year.  I'd much rather surround our young core with veterans like Ferland, Miller, Pearson and Sutter than some reject from Edmonton who can't even play with McDavid and went back home to Finland to hold out because he can't even make it with a crappy team like Edmonton.

Podkolzin is a slam dunk to make this team.  Have you even watched him play?  He is the exact opposite of Pool Party, as he actually has a work ethic and gets his nose dirty.  Same with Hoglander.  They are both beauties.  Looking forward to both of them playing in the NHL.  Podkolzin has the talent to be dominant.  

The ship has sailed for Pool Party.  I'd rather keep Sutter and use him in a 3rd line role so this team can make the playoffs versus taking a shot at a guy who can't even crack the Oilers roster...

There are a lot of assumptions there. 

We don’t know which Pearson we will get this year. If it was the one who played for LA and Pitt than he isn’t even in our lineup. 

Ferland and Baer are very concussion prone and  could be a hit away from long term IR. 

Podkolzin is a prospect and as Pulujarvi has shown there is no slam dunk. We lose all control over Podz development for the next two years as well. It is even more of a stretch for Hollander. I like both of these guys as prospects but they are prospects. 

We don’t know if we have acquired enough talent or if all the changes will mesh.  This team may be worse than last years with a lot of square pegs in round holes. Quinn may not be ready for the grind, we may be asking too much of Myers.  With the amount of turnover who knows how this team will play until they hit the ice. 

What we do know though is at his best Sutter is an offensive hole. He is where offence goes to die on this team.

With Bo and Beagle we have players to take the tough matchups.  If I had a chance to trade Sutter for a young, big, very fast winger with a lot of potential I would do it in a second. 

Then again I would get rid of Sutter for a seventh rounder and laugh all the way to the draft.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

There are a lot of assumptions there. 

We don’t know which Pearson we will get this year. If it was the one who played for LA and Pitt than he isn’t even in our lineup. 

Ferland and Baer are very concussion prone and  could be a hit away from long term IR. 

Podkolzin is a prospect and as Pulujarvi has shown there is no slam dunk. We lose all control over Podz development for the next two years as well. It is even more of a stretch for Hollander. I like both of these guys as prospects but they are prospects. 

We don’t know if we have acquired enough talent or if all the changes will mesh.  This team may be worse than last years with a lot of square pegs in round holes. Quinn may not be ready for the grind, we may be asking too much of Myers.  With the amount of turnover who knows how this team will play until they hit the ice. 

What we do know though is at his best Sutter is an offensive hole. He is where offence goes to die on this team.

With Bo and Beagle we have players to take the tough matchups.  If I had a chance to trade Sutter for a young, big, very fast winger with a lot of potential I would do it in a second. 

Then again I would get rid of Sutter for a seventh rounder and laugh all the way to the draft.  

Injuries happen to every team.  This year we have way more depth to combat that problem.  Take any team and put their top D man and top centre on LTIR and that team will seriously struggle.  

Our prospects are actually looking great.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And we are not one of the worst teams in the league.

Well that would be pretty amazing if we picked up Puljujarvi and expected him to  displace ALL three of Ferland, Miller, and  Pearson as you are suggesting.

Sure, give him a whirl on the top two lines.  Pearson har a short stint of chemistry with Horvat, but he was also a spare part and not able to crack the Pens roster... players often get a little bump when changing teams.  He is by no means an irreplaceable top six guy.  Nor is Ferland.  Miller is the closest to a lock in the top six, but he did manage to work his way down the lineups to the 4th lines (and even press box) on both the Rangers and Tampa Bay.

Sutter is a low price for Puljujarvi, you try him in the top six, then if that doesn’t work, you try him on the 3rd line in Roussel’s spot that will be empty for the first couple months of the season.  If he works out in either of those spots, then we are better off with another guy getting pushed down the lineup to give us better match ups all around.

A semi decent Puljujarvi pushes any of Baertschi, Goldobin, Motte, and Leivo into the press box or off the roster entirely.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Injuries happen to every team.  This year we have way more depth to combat that problem.  Take any team and put their top D man and top centre on LTIR and that team will seriously struggle.  

Our prospects are actually looking great.

Okay I agree with that but prospects are just that. The best of them are still a crap shoot. 

I was just pointing out the huge number of assumptions made in the previous post and how tenuous many of our gains have been with inconsistent players and ones with very concerning injury histories. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Okay I agree with that but prospects are just that. The best of them are still a crap shoot. 

I was just pointing out the huge number of assumptions made in the previous post and how tenuous many of our gains have been with inconsistent players and ones with very concerning injury histories. 

You think OJ, Podkolzin, Woo, and Hoglander are crap shoots?  Those guys are looking pretty darned good, and will play important roles for us over the next decade.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

You think OJ, Podkolzin, Woo, and Hoglander are crap shoots?  Those guys are looking pretty darned good, and will play important roles for us over the next decade.  

They’re all young prospects.  I’m sure Puljujarvi looked like a slam dunk prospect when he was first drafted too. Only time will tell if these kids reach their potential and become impact players.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nobody, even the brightest hockey minds (which none of us are) can tell the future like that.  For all anyone knows, none of them will become meaningful NHL regulars, far fewer make it than don't.

It gets tiring hearing that every prospect is going to be the future of the franchise.  The last few years of Hodgson leading our team has been amazing hasn't it!  I remember when Stojanov got that Selke award too!  Dahlen is going to look great on our top line this year!  

• Upvote 3