The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doug Maclean leaving Sportsnet

Rate this topic

skategal

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully TSN gets the rights back.  Overall a much more professionally run network.

I totally agree.  No contest.  TSN does a way better job, and they have better analysts too.  Any chance SN has stolen a couple of those TSN guys?  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Laheys Liquor said:

They should of started this rebuild years ago, when they could of gotten 1st round picks for these guys... another decade without playoffs i guess 
:bigblush:

What’s an entry level contract worth? I’m available ;) 

I don't think McLean played the corporate game.  Almost all so called analysts have their own opinions for a short time and then as they associate with the others, their opinions tend to become the same as every body else's.  It only takes a number of months for this to happen.  McLean was one of the few who kept his own opinion long term.  This is why I think that he didn't pal around with the guys and hang out in the lounge at the studio (or wherever it is that they go to become indoctrinated or brain washed if you prefer).

Cheers Doug.  Enjoy retirement if that's what you're up to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is too bad. he was one of the few guys on the panels that I actually liked. He was also one of the few (it seemed) Canucks supporters, talking about how bright the future is in VAN with Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson, etc. I wonder if they're planning on bringing in more women to join the panel (Wickenheiser etc).  

I’m wondering about Hailey as well.  

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Is Sportnet going through a full rebuild or just a reset?

And is it possible for Sportsnet to get high ratings while simultaneously going through a rebuild?

At the level of personality, I liked Maclean quite a lot. And I did often find his perspective interesting. I like him a lot better than John Shannon. I found Kypreos kind of overbearing and thought he provided very little insight or new information. But I have nothing against any of these guys. Tough to lose your job in middle-age. But I guess they will land on their feet somewhere.

Well, I think they haven't had very strong drafting for a few years… so maybe they will sign a few free agents to bolster the team?

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Didn't sportsnet lose a lot of money the past year?

Maybe hold those responsible accountable?

Looking at you sportsnets presidents and CEOs!

MAYBE if it wasnt toronto sports network and SportsNetOnlyOntarioCounts had more spread out coverage they wouldn't be struggling?

Damn ownership getting involved again! Trying to steer the ship, leave it to management, you know the guys who really know how to talk hockey.

Mac, Kyper and Shannon. My 3 least favourite "analysts". This is a great day for Sportsnet, honestly

Hell, Shannon was a show producer who somehow convinced the network to let him work as an analyst. At least Mac had some background in the league, brutal as he was.