The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bold Predictions for the upcoming season (Discussion)

Rate this topic

PunjabiCanucks

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, Edler, Myers would be a good #1 pair if they meet expectations...then Hughes, Tanev and Benn, Stech with Tryamkin joining the team just before the playoffs...this would bode well for the team...Fantenberg will also play a role along with OJ....could be good if everyone stays healthy and lives up to expectations.

Forgot about Benn and Fantenberg… the team has so many more options on D this year.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

1.Vancouver finishes top 5 in the league

2. Hoglander makes the team.

3. Bo Horvat gets the C at the sedins ceremony.

4 Tyler Myers establishes himself as a team leader.

5. Alex Edler sucks 

6. Goaltender controversy by Christmas

I love that you mix good news with bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

If Markstrom plays like Quick did, especially their first cup, then yes we can do it.  Don’t think we have the same team as far as possession goes .... but you never do know.   I hated that they beat us and went on and one a cup as an eight seed.   At the time said Doughty was the most overrated player in the league (scored two goals in the Olympics and becomes the next coming of Orr according to the media - the love was sickening - easily could have been Weber too...Benn deserved way more love IMO - he was becoming one of the best at that time).  

Unfortunately for my narritive (luckiest team ever to win a cup) - they did it again.   Hate them.  After 2011 that was supposed to be our year.   We won another presidents trophy - damn Keith and his elbow.   Still think if we got by LA another deep run was available to us. 

With some time and some perspective I begrudgingly accept what they achieved.   Grunted out two cups - despite barely making the playoffs at all - Sutter had them playing great defense and puck control - and that team was built for the playoffs.   Even now Doughty publicly states they will make the playoffs this year...and if they do would it shock me if they did alright?  Yes it would.  And it would hate them all over again.   

I do think that the team we have now thanks to the hard work of JB and his drafting has a decent chance of doing some damage if we make it.  More of a playoff team then a regular season one.  Could see a lot of amped up middle six forwards making it very difficult to defend against - wouldn’t matter if our first line was shut down - others would pick up the slack which is what wins cups.    Never in the history of the league has a one line team won the cup - OTT was the closest in recent memory and ANA picked them apart in five. 

Exceptional goaltending wins cups - Quick did - as did Roy in MTL his second time.    Markstrom would have to  join that club for us to get one in the next two or three years.   After that I’d expect we move up in our division and battle Vegas and CAL for tops...ARI too but they will be gone by then...

If we had pulled off the Schneider for Perry trade like that guy said, we would have had a tight tough 2nd line and gotten past them - maybe all the way to the cup.

55 minutes ago, Pete M said:

1. Canucks 2nd in Pacific

2.Lose to Vegas in 2nd round

3. Miller gets 60+ pts

4. EP40 gets a ppg

5. Boeser gets 38 goals

6. Marky 0.930 save percentage and 1.9 goals against

7. Added depth at "D" helps Tanev and Edler play healthy for major part of season.

8. Bo is named Captain and repeats last year's stats.

9. Ferland will disappear for part of the season.

...if it wasn't for Vegas, then Canucks make the SCF

OR

major injuries will  prevail and "same Sh&t, different pile"...Canucks win the lottery.

Goldy gets picked up on waivers.

Honestly think Vegas is the most overrated team ever.  They lost key players this offseason and didn’t even make the second round this year.  I see Calgary the strongest regular season team in the division since they basically kept the status quo and I could see San Jose and Vegas drop out of the playoffs.  They lost a lot of talent and they weren’t even that good in the regular season last year

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Honestly think Vegas is the most overrated team ever.  They lost key players this offseason and didn’t even make the second round this year.  I see Calgary the strongest regular season team in the division since they basically kept the status quo and I could see San Jose and Vegas drop out of the playoffs.  They lost a lot of talent and they weren’t even that good in the regular season last year

Vegas lost Miller and Haula. Did they lose anyone else of significance? 

I think Glass is penciled in to their team this year as well. I think their only real weakness is going to be D. I would still say theyre the team to beat in the pacific. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Vegas lost Miller and Haula. Did they lose anyone else of significance? 

I think Glass is penciled in to their team this year as well. I think their only real weakness is going to be D. I would still say theyre the team to beat in the pacific. 

They also have a full year of Pacioretty, Statsny and Stone...arguably the best 2nd line in hockey....and they haven't a full season to gel yet. They will be tops in the Pacific.

• Cheers 1

On 8/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, The_Rocket said:

Canucks will add 64 (!) goals this season and finish the year in the top 5 in scoring with 283 goals. Breakdown of goal totals below:

Ferland - 17  Petey - 32  Boeser - 35

Baertschi - 14  Horvat - 29 Miller - 21

Pearson - 16  Sutter - 12  Virtanen - 18

Roussell - 8  Beagle - 6  Leivo - 14

Motte - 7

Goldobin - 9

Gaudette - 9

Schaller - 2

Edler - 8  Myers - 7

Hughes - 6  Tanev - 1

Benn -  4  Stetcher - 4

Joulevi - 2

Fantenburg - 1

Biega  1

Hughes at 6 goals seems to be a normal  prediction not really a bold thought  but more what’s expected statement. 

I would say boldly I’m predicting 12-16 goals season from this Kid power play is a must to achieve it. 

Edited by Bertorama

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:01 AM, BrockBoester said:

1) We sweep Toronto in the SCF

giphy.gif

2) We have three 40 goal scorers - Petey, Brock and Eriksson

tumblr_otms12KReM1ua1vrwo1_500.gif

3) Tryamkin is named Captain when he returns

giphy.gif

4) Markstrom will finish the season with 20 or more shutouts

giphy.gif

5) We will win all of our shootouts

tumblr_pgkiq3xTtl1s5n077o3_500.gif

• Upvote 1

Sutter stays healthy and wins the Selke = Tanev, Edler, Beagle - all finally healthy for a season.

Hughes wins the Calder

Green wins the Jack Adams

Boeser wins the Rocket Richard.

Petey wins the Art Ross.

Marky/Demko win the Jennings.

Canucks score the most goals in the NHL, give up the fewest, ala 2011.

smarmies can goft

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

On 8/29/2019 at 12:01 AM, BrockBoester said:

1) We sweep Toronto in the SCF

2) We have three 40 goal scorers - Petey, Brock and Eriksson

3) Tryamkin is named Captain when he returns

4) Markstrom will finish the season with 20 or more shutouts

5) We will win all of our shootouts

LOL at number 3 hahahahaha

• Upvote 1

Bold predictions!

Hughes and Petterson go together like Gin and Tonic.  Our PP becomes top ten.

Hughes is the tonic for Myers.  Myers has his best offensive season in nearly a decade playing with Hughes.  If someone sneezes near Hughes, Myers shows what a truly BIG MAN can do.1

Myers 40 pts.  

Hughes becomes the transition breakout king of the Western Conference by season's end.  Both Pettersson and Hughes make the all star game.  Petey 85pts plus Hughes 50 plus pts.

Boeser misses part of the pre season with contract 'issue's' but that is partly coordinated to allow him more time with his dad prior to the season starting.  The Canucks go all out for the Boeser's on the Father Son road trip.  Boeser dedicates the season to his dad and goes on a tear.  With Pettersson setting him up.and Miller playing support, 40 goals.  

Horvat.  Comes into camp more mature and ready than ever before.  Marriage has improved an already established strong player. Our natural captain is fully ready to lead this team.  30g/30a, Selkie finalist.

Markstrom maintains his play.  An improved team in front of him makes him look even better.  Demko quietly shows that he is ready to be the guy.  Canucks have yet another 'goalie controversy'  We see many highlight reels of the Luongo/Schnieder/Lack and Canuck fans begin to spiral into a media blackhole.  Players ignore it and the team surprises everyone and keeps both and pushes for the playoffs.  

Green gets renewed.  Should be considered an Adam's candidate, but the league ignores his success, cue slagging the eastern bias all season.  

Ferland, Miller, Pearson and Baer provide enough stability to give the Nucks a solid top six and all score near a 20g pace.  

Virtanen still is trying to find his game and cannot supplant anyone out if the top six.  JB becomes open to moving him for another player in need of new scenery.  Buffalo and Vancouver pair up again and Ristolainen comes back in a player for player deal.  With Podz and Keppen selected this year, not entirely crazy.  

Sutter and Eriksson do not finish the season in Vancouver, Gaudette pushes Sutter out of the lineup be the TDL and Eriksson doesn't get one game.  

OJ impresses in camp, makes it hard to send him down, Woo's jets and energy make him an instant favourite at camp, gets a 9 game stint.  OJ is sent down along with Gaudette, both are regulars by seasons end.  

Our improved defence keeps us in games we would have lost last year.  Benn makes a great Shut down pairing with Tanev, Stecher and Edler become ideal middle six players, Biega does his thing.  With the huge influx of young D men, Cull culls the weaker players and what left takes Utica to the finals with Depietro stealing the crease.

Guys like Lind, Jasek, Gadz etc show that they are good prospects and get some games, McEwan beats out Schaller, fans love his game,  Schaller joins the Eriksson on the waiver wire.

Podz cements himself on his KHL roster and makes JB look like a genius drafter again.  Trymakin returns by the playoffs and Vancouver doesn't need to add.  

The team makes the second round and bows out after a hard fought 7 game series.  The guys leave hungry and return better next year.  

That's a lot of bold predictions.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2019 at 12:49 PM, Rindiculous said:

1. Vegas's goaltending looks a bit iffy too. Of course that was what I thought about them last year too lol.

2. Something is wrong with that Calgary team: playoffs matter and they can't seem to do it there.  Goaltending and forward firepower is unlikely to be better than last year (and scoring from the D is unlikely to be the same too) and they won't surprise people the way they did last year. 

3.  San Jose is good on paper, and Erik Karlsson should know the Sharks much better this year.  And they have some big mobile players that are hard to play against, some of them not named Burns.  Hard to imagine that we can simply pass these guys in the standings. 

Still, if Ferland and Miller can significantly add to the scoring, and if a couple of surprise players make the Canucks out of camp (2 of Gaudette, Woo and Juolevi), then I think the Canucks will be able to surprise teams this year, the way Calgary did last year.  I love that our team has two first-rate goalies again, kind of like the days of Schneider and Luongo.  Horvat can't keep getting better every year, but he's terrific if he just repeats last year's numbers.  Boeser is a worry for contract reasons, and Baertschi for the injury concerns we all saw last year.  But I think Ferland, Miller, Myers and the possibility of what a new faster D will give us will really make a difference.   With real luck we finish 3rd or even 2nd in our division.  And Virtanen and Roussel would be a real presence in a playoff.

8 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Bold predictions!

Hughes and Petterson go together like Gin and Tonic.  Our PP becomes top ten.

Hughes is the tonic for Myers.  Myers has his best offensive season in nearly a decade playing with Hughes.  If someone sneezes near Hughes, Myers shows what a truly BIG MAN can do.1

Myers 40 pts.  

Hughes becomes the transition breakout king of the Western Conference by season's end.  Both Pettersson and Hughes make the all star game.  Petey 85pts plus Hughes 50 plus pts.

Boeser misses part of the pre season with contract 'issue's' but that is partly coordinated to allow him more time with his dad prior to the season starting.  The Canucks go all out for the Boeser's on the Father Son road trip.  Boeser dedicates the season to his dad and goes on a tear.  With Pettersson setting him up.and Miller playing support, 40 goals.  

Horvat.  Comes into camp more mature and ready than ever before.  Marriage has improved an already established strong player. Our natural captain is fully ready to lead this team.  30g/30a, Selkie finalist.

Markstrom maintains his play.  An improved team in front of him makes him look even better.  Demko quietly shows that he is ready to be the guy.  Canucks have yet another 'goalie controversy'  We see many highlight reels of the Luongo/Schnieder/Lack and Canuck fans begin to spiral into a media blackhole.  Players ignore it and the team surprises everyone and keeps both and pushes for the playoffs.  

Green gets renewed.  Should be considered an Adam's candidate, but the league ignores his success, cue slagging the eastern bias all season.  

Ferland, Miller, Pearson and Baer provide enough stability to give the Nucks a solid top six and all score near a 20g pace.  

Virtanen still is trying to find his game and cannot supplant anyone out if the top six.  JB becomes open to moving him for another player in need of new scenery.  Buffalo and Vancouver pair up again and Ristolainen comes back in a player for player deal.  With Podz and Keppen selected this year, not entirely crazy.  

Sutter and Eriksson do not finish the season in Vancouver, Gaudette pushes Sutter out of the lineup be the TDL and Eriksson doesn't get one game.  

OJ impresses in camp, makes it hard to send him down, Woo's jets and energy make him an instant favourite at camp, gets a 9 game stint.  OJ is sent down along with Gaudette, both are regulars by seasons end.  

Our improved defence keeps us in games we would have lost last year.  Benn makes a great Shut down pairing with Tanev, Stecher and Edler become ideal middle six players, Biega does his thing.  With the huge influx of young D men, Cull culls the weaker players and what left takes Utica to the finals with Depietro stealing the crease.

Guys like Lind, Jasek, Gadz etc show that they are good prospects and get some games, McEwan beats out Schaller, fans love his game,  Schaller joins the Eriksson on the waiver wire.

Podz cements himself on his KHL roster and makes JB look like a genius drafter again.  Trymakin returns by the playoffs and Vancouver doesn't need to add.  

The team makes the second round and bows out after a hard fought 7 game series.  The guys leave hungry and return better next year.  

That's a lot of bold predictions.  

I love your predictions, warms my heart.  Hughes and Pettersson together will be dynamite. And I think you are right about Woo: have a feeling he is going to supplant Juolevi in the depth chart (he may already have with done so with mgt.)   Due to his age he may not stay past the 9 games, but I kind of hope he does.  And Gaudette looked better each call up, just hope he can score some more.  He did in College.  

And you are right about Biega and McEwen: every team needs players like this, and their cap hit is very friendly. 

Edited by gameburn