The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

how smart are animals?

smithers joe

when my dog got run over by a car, her legs was broken in 3 places. i took her to the vet. she looked at me while the doc said it would be 350.00 to fix her leg. because we were having troubles with her killing chicken, i asked him, how much to put her to sleep. he said 35.00. she looked at me until i said, you better put her to sleep. she turned away from me and refused to look at me as i tried to say goodbye to her. i believe, she understood what that meant.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 1

I have no doubt your pet can read your mind.

Depressing pet story(sort of)

Spoiler

My cat was ill so I had a bunch of tests done.  Like most pets she hated going to the vet and hated being put in her carrier.  While at work I called the vet hoping for some good news but was told she had kidney failure/disease and we both though it was best to put her down.  I didn't want to be at work while she suffered at home alone so I immediately went home and she knew what was up.  I made an appointment and had to wait a couple of hours so I thought I'd give her one last meal.  After that she rested on my lap(something she rarely did unless I was sick), when it was time she literally hopped in her carrier and purred all the way to the vet up until she passed.  It was rough for sure but I felt she had a pretty good run(only 10years) and maybe she knew it was time and the pain would go away.  The fact she purred in front of the vet, to which the vet was shocked, brought some solace.  

BTW it cost me over $200 bucks to put her down, sounds like you got a deal.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Reveal hidden contents

My cat was ill so I had a bunch of tests done.  Like most pets she hated going to the vet and hated being put in her carrier.  While at work I called the vet hoping for some good news but was told she had kidney failure/disease and we both though it was best to put her down.  I didn't want to be at work while she suffered at home alone so I immediately went home and she knew what was up.  I made an appointment and had to wait a couple of hours so I thought I'd give her one last meal.  After that she rested on my lap(something she rarely did unless I was sick), when it was time she literally hopped in her carrier and purred all the way to the vet up until she passed.  It was rough for sure but I felt she had a pretty good run(only 10years) and maybe she knew it was time and the pain would go away.  The fact she purred in front of the vet, to which the vet was shocked, brought some solace.  

You did the right thing. Once the Kidneys go....

I have met people that have spent thousands on cats as old as 18.

My dog can read my feelings, not sure about my mind. Shes a rescue with a history of abuse. If I get in a bad mood, even if I haven't made a sound, she goes into the bedroom to hide from me. It's actually helped me control myself. Also with 100% accuracy, she know's if I am taking her with me or not when I put on my shoes. I don't need to say anything, if shes not coming she goes into her crate even if it's her regular walk time. 

I met a guy at the dog park a couple weeks ago...he said " oh, she's got Heeler in her...can she read you mind?" ...I laughed hard at his insight. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hide contents

well it was back in the 80’s and a small town.

• Upvote 2

Emotional intelligence versus Intellectual intelligence.

Animals have the emotional intelligence... sometimes better than humans.

An animal will react with a correct decision in a critical life and death situation quicker than humans will... we tend to overthink.... they act.

If you ever watch a pint sized dog challenge a bear when the bear threatens your family... you understand that.

Dog isn't thinking self preservation... they are thinking protect their family.  (of course, they won't let themselves be killed needlessly, but they accept the risk)

Just don't ask them what 2 + 2 equals.

• Upvote 4

I once had a cow get her head stuck in a gate. While attempting to remove the gate she ripped it right off the hinges, took off running as fast as she could. This of course created a stampede, she ran through the barn and out into the pasture, as far as she could into the pasture too. 

I'll let you be the judge.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jaku said:

I once had a cow get her head stuck in a gate. While attempting to remove the gate she ripped it right off the hinges, took off running as fast as she could. This of course created a stampede, she ran through the barn and out into the pasture, as far as she could into the pasture too. 

I'll let you be the judge.

Domestic Cows are about as stupid as they come...  all their common sense has been bred out of them by humans.

• Upvote 1