Sign in to follow this  
smithers joe

how smart are animals?

Posted (edited)

On a completely other subject on dogs, for all of you dog owners/lovers...who loves you more?  Your dog or spouse?  To find out...

Put your wife/husband and your dog in the trunk of your car...after driving around for a few hours, open the trunk and see who is happy to see you.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, smithers joe said:

when my dog got run over by a car, her legs was broken in 3 places. i took her to the vet. she looked at me while the doc said it would be 350.00 to fix her leg. because we were having troubles with her killing chicken, i asked him, how much to put her to sleep. he said 35.00. she looked at me until i said, you better put her to sleep. she turned away from me and refused to look at me as i tried to say goodbye to her. i believe, she understood what that meant.

Sorry joe

Says more about you than your dog

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Sorry joe

Says more about you than your dog

fair enough.  it wasn’t a shining moment but it seemed the right thing at the time. 350.00 back then was 650.00 now.  i hadn’t been able to cure her of killing chickens. neighbour threatened to shot her if she killed another chicken. had a decision to make and made it. 

Edited by smithers joe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My dad used to work for CN rail before...the bad times.

He told me the dumbest animal he has seen was a moose. Lots of them. 

If they are grazing and a train comes by, no matter what, that moose will try to outrun the train to “get to the other side”. They rarely make it. 

There is definitely a reason why dogs and cats are considered “smart animals”.

its also why a moose will get its head ripped off by a train just because it didnt know what was going on. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

5 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

My dad used to work for CN rail before...the bad times.

He told me the dumbest animal he has seen was

i agree.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

He told me the dumbest animal he has seen was a moose

One misunderstood our Econoline 250 for a threat once....somewhere in northern Ontario, middle of the night.

He charged down the centre line , threw a good hip check leaving a dent and completely took off the driver side mirror. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

One misunderstood our Econoline 250 for a threat once....somewhere in northern Ontario, middle of the night.

He charged down the centre line , threw a good hip check leaving a dent and completely took off the driver side mirror. 

Big. Dumb. And dangerous. 

Like deer, if one runs across the road three more follow. 

Or like easily lead humans in this day and age. 

Big, dumb, dangerous, and easily lead. 

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Like deer, if one runs across the road three more follow.

Oh, deer? check! ..one cost our band 5k in bumper repair, same van, but that was in Sask.

It saw us coming from a million miles away because.. ..it was Saskatchewan. Still it decided to bounce across. DOA. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

fair enough.  it wasn’t a shining moment but it seemed the right thing at the time. 350.00 back then was 650.00 now.  i hadn’t been able to cure him of killing chickens. neighbour threatened to shot her if she killed another chicken. had a decision to make and made it. 

I won't pretend to be an expert on farm life, and I didn't mean to come at you as hard as I did.

I grew up in the metropolis of PG. That said, In big cities we usually have a different hypocritical outlook on the treatment of animals. They're pets and part of the family. I recently got divorced and took both our 2 cats so she could live with her new con victim. I wouldn't have it any other way, I love thise cats like they are my children. I'll take cats and she can have Shrek... there's no way I don't win this one!

If one of my cats were in the same position as your dog, She would have just looked at me... gave me a nod of the head, and went to sleep... knowing that she'd be at home tommorow, in her bed - and she'd be right! 

Fact is? dogs grow up from being puppies. The dog that a puppy will turn into is responsibility of its owner... which is absolute bullsh!t, unless the owner is a professional dog trainer

We had an Irish wolf hound & St. Bernard mix - Chema. We were living in a small house in College Hieghts with a small backyard. She was the runt - my dad brought her home in his lunch box because us boys would always look through it when he got home from the mill. She grew into a 200lbs beatiful massive beast. She out grew the yard, it was obvious to anyone who had keep up with shoveling her Sh!t. For some reason we had a old Toyota in the backyard, that she absolutely destroyed - true story. She did laps and laps and laps of the small backyard... and got nowhere. But... she was the most gentle, loving dog I've ever seen - to everyone. Including our Yorkshire that was the actual "boss". It was wierd, Chema (200lbs) would actually cower to Brandy's yapping. My theory is that Chema saw that Brandy lived in the house; therefore, must be more important. 

That all changed about a year later when we moved into the house that my parents on Nukko Lake. We were there for about a month. Chema, Brandy & I were outside. I noticed Chema looking down at Brandy.... my stomach dropped. Then I heard the deepest, heartfelt growl TERRIFYING growl out of her throat. That's the first time I reslized how actually powerful she was. I was about 16 and was benching 200+ lbs. I grabbed her coller to pull her away, yet against all of my might she just slowly dipped her head, grabbed onto Brandy... shook her 3-4 times and seriously tossed about 30'. Then she licked my face. She had acres now. She was at home and she was in charge now. 

Brandy was OK, but she was an inside dog after that. Chema roamed the bush, hunted kept all the other niehgborhood dogs in line (rotties and pits incuded). A couple years later, when I went tree planting, I called my parents and my dad told me that Chema brought down a deer. The year after I was treeplanting again and when I phoned in this time, my dad told my he put her down. My brother buried her. She had massive arthritis, common with huge dogs - she was in massive pain and could barely stand. He was right. However, I considered her MY dog. I considered him a coward for waiting until I left town. 

Relavance to topic: Chema having the intelligence to not just crush Brandy; rather, to scare her in the easiest way that she knew how.

Anyways, I retract my  original post - it was arrogant of me. Everyone knows you are a good person. Even us big city folk.

Edited by Canorth

On 8/30/2019 at 9:52 AM, Jaku said:

I once had a cow get her head stuck in a gate. While attempting to remove the gate she ripped it right off the hinges, took off running as fast as she could. This of course created a stampede, she ran through the barn and out into the pasture, as far as she could into the pasture too. 

I'll let you be the judge.

lol sounds like a children's singalong farm song

The silly old cow, crashed into the gate

They followed I herd, to be free was their fate...

Animals learn to mash buttons so they can get something to eat, human mash buttons so they can put up bigger numbers on a screen. Who has a better purpose for mashing buttons?

• Haha 1

All I know is year ago when I had a cat. The moment I even thought the word "vet". My Cat would get very wary and suspicious of me. 

Guess that's the problem when you have a black cat. It reads minds!

when i first moved to smithers in 73, i had my brother in laws, 2 beautiful border collies. i had a 1/2 acre of land that was surrounded by my neighbour’s land. he had several milk cows. he came over one day and threatened to kill my dogs. my dogs would go and herd his cows. apparently that screwed up their milking schedule. i ended up having to tie tham up when the were outside. eventually a built a small enclosure for them. i hated not letting them roam free, but herding is bred in those dogs. eventually my brother in law came for a visit and took them back to vancouver with him. 

Perfect timing for this story I saw today:

I saw a reply from someone else talking about how their dog is just dumb, where Grinch seems more "confidently wrong".

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Years ago I had to take my our German Shepard to the vet to get put to sleep. He was in rough shape health wise and my Parents couldn't bring themselves to do it.  My buddy and I loaded him into my Parents Cadillac and drove him to the vet.  Once in the car it was like he knew.  He had a calmness about him I hadn't seen in weeks.  He was in constant pain.  We drove him around town so he could hang his head out the window.  Drove him through the McDonald's drive through to get him a cheese burger, he loved those.  Even pulled forward to have them give him the burger.

Took him down to the local pond so he could run around in the water one last time, he loved to run in the water until his arthritis got bad.  He ran into the water seemingly painless.  We eventually went to the vet and I took him into the room. 

He calmly laid down and put his head on my leg and went to sleep.  The vet then did his thing. He was a smart dog, he knew his time was up and seemed thankful that I took him to the vet.

Though right now I am watching my current dog chase his tail.  When he catches it he then bites the crap out of it and rips out hair.  He's special.

Edited by Grapefruits
  • Hydration 1