The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Sutter is not a shutdown centre

Rate this topic

Ossi Vaananen

Good ole Richardson, decent 4th line C, puts up some points and can PK. Is dirt cheap compared to the overpaid guys we currently have. Man what a good signing back then, too bad we just never kept the guy and saved  some $ in the meantime.

If Gaudette shows he can play well in the NHL this year, which after last year and his College career this is a big season upcoming for him. So if he can show he belongs Sutter is definitely not needed and way overpaid. 

Hopefully Sutter can be traded, but with us going all in, that likely wont mean till next off season

• Upvote 2

This should be more of a learning tool for how to properly use a player.  We are obviously not using Sutter in a way to incur success.  You can say injuries, etc, but his play across his term here hasn't exactly lived up to the hype of being the Foundational player he was said to be.  The warning signs were there in Pittsburgh, they are here as well.  Doesn't mean he can't be a decent player, doesn't mean that he can't play a role, just that maybe the role he is being used in right now probably isn't good for him, or for  the team.  I wouldn't mind him being switched to wing and see what he can do.  He is not a distributor, but he can probably be an effective option to match up with face offs, as well as provide support for a developing center....

• Upvote 2

Yes he’s using last years small sample size - but it’s not like he played with complete chumps when he did either.  Injuries have derailed his time with us and likely his career too - which really is too bad.   Not sure we need two shutdown lines anymore either - a different more balanced and evenly distributed approach may be better.  We definitely have the guns for it now. Things should eventually settle in, but I really hope he’s healthy and we don’t waste Millers abilities running a third line.   Would rather we use AG if Sutter goes down and just stick to Beagle as a shutdown guy, and balance the d-zone starts a bit more when Sutter is in the lineup to give his wingers a better chance to score too.  Pilates might save the day ha ha ...

33 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We've added good forwards who have more offense. We already have good bottom 6 defensive checkers in Beags annd Roussel.

We can afford to part  with Sutter. 

A draft pick or a good prospect or paired with another player (Goldy,?Tanev?) I think we can move on from Sutter.

Oh boy

Don't give the proposals guys any ammo

"Sutter, Tanev and Goldy for Marner"

• Haha 3

Just now, luckylager said:

And they were scoring too, Jimmy.

I'm biased though. I like SuttyBalls

no worries, I'm not judgey.

Sutter is an interesting player, he can play the 'shutdown role' but he can also score off the rush, which might be a nice fit with Jake. He's also a good face-off guy and I don't care what the fancy pants stats guys say, possession matters. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

no worries, I'm not judgey.

Sutter is an interesting player, he can play the 'shutdown role' but he can also score off the rush, which might be a nice fit with Jake. He's also a good face-off guy and I don't care what the fancy pants stats guys say, possession matters. 

Uhh, yeah... About that bolded.. Did I mention I like Sutter?

Can't say I'm a fan of Jake and Sutter on the same line. Jake actually rushes but totally brain farts when he enters the zone on the RW. Sutter doesn't have the speed to be effective with Jake IMO. Guess that line could work with a winger like Goldy or Baer.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I stopped reading at Draisatl is a centre.  Guy plays wing with McDavid.  He’s a terrible centre.  

I hit the breaks there too, what kind of hockey knowledge does the writer have if he has Draisatl at centre? I went to the comments and read he gets into analytics. I made the right choice by stopping at two paragraghs!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, AK_19 said:

Sutter's last two seasons were night and day. I think we can just chop it up to injuries. As far as having too many shutdown lines, who cares? It'll free up Horvat and Pete's line for more offense. 

gotta have balance, I agree Sutters last to seasons have been night and day so I guess we have to see which Ryan Sutter shows up this season. I have never been a fan hope we trade him or he gets hurt and we give someone else a shot like Adam Gaudette.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Good ole Richardson, decent 4th line C, puts up some points and can PK. Is dirt cheap compared to the overpaid guys we currently have. Man what a good signing back then, too bad we just never kept the guy and saved  some $ in the meantime.

If Gaudette shows he can play well in the NHL this year, which after last year and his College career this is a big season upcoming for him. So if he can show he belongs Sutter is definitely not needed and way overpaid. 

Hopefully Sutter can be traded, but with us going all in, that likely wont mean till next off season

Agree with everything you said. 19 goals for Richardson last year, I miss the guy. 

• Upvote 1