The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2019-20

Nail

Some interesting news regarding the playoffs here... https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-nhlpa-working-24-team-conference-based-playoff-setup/

If the NHL were to following through with this, here's how our playoffs may potentially look like:

Top 4 in East and West receive byes:

Carolina (1) Columbus (2) Rangers (3) Islanders (4)

Winnipeg (1) Colorado (2) Los Angeles (3) Edmonton (4)

5 v 12 (Winner plays 4)

Toronto (5) vs New Jersey (12)

Calgary (5) vs Anaheim (12)

6 v 11 (Winner plays 3)

Boston (6) vs Florida (11)

Minnesota (6) vs Vegas (11)

7 v 10 (Winner plays 2)

Buffalo (7) vs Ottawa (10)

Chicago (7) vs Vancouver (10)

8 v 9 (Winner plays 1)

Tampa Bay (8) vs Washington (9)

Detroit (8) vs Nashville (9)

This would potentially be very interesting, seeing as the 4 Metro seeds would take all 4 of the byes in the East, as well for the fact that this will undoubtedly have an impact on who will win the "play-in series'". If we make it points from the play-in series, every team will be without players from Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas. This will likely lead to some upsets if a 5 through 12 seeded team has a lot of these players on their team!

I could see this being a major disadvantage to some, so maybe we see a scenario where we just take the top 8 teams instead and start during what would be the normal Round 1? But our playoff races were very close, so that may be a disadvantage to the teams that were super close. We may just have to stick with what the NHL does in order to be the most "fair".

Open for discussion though!

• Like 2

Alright, after some further thoughts to the proposed playoff idea IRL, I've come up with an alternative for our fantasy hockey pool to run. I don't think teams in the play-in round should be penalized for having players on elite teams, and losing out on their points doesn't seem very fair at all. Everything would stay the same in terms of seeding and the byes, this proposal is just for how we score points.

So here's my idea...

For clarity sake, I'm calling the "play-in" round the round with 24 teams still left in the playoffs, and the first round the round with 16 teams left in the playoffs.

The "play-in" round in CDCFL will accumulate all fantasy playoff points earned in the "play-in" round in the NHL and the first round in the NHL. The winner of the play-in round in CDCFL will be the team in the matchup that has the most combined points from these two rounds.

The winner of the play-in round in CDCFL would then move onto the first round in CDCFL, and for this round, only their first round fantasy points will count in their matchup against the team that received a bye.

Basically, the teams with the bye won't exactly know who they are playing in the first round while the first round games are being played in the NHL, but they will want to just have more first round points than both teams in the "play-in" matchup to advance.

For example, I'm going to take the Minnesota vs Vegas matchup with the winner playing Los Angeles:

Minnesota has 36 "play-in" round fantasy points and Vegas has 56.

Minnesota has 155 1st round points and Vegas has 50.

Minnesota would advance to play against Los Angeles by beating Vegas 191 to 106.

Los Angeles had 193 1st round points.

Los Angeles would then beat Minnesota in the 1st round, 193 to 155 and move onto the 2nd round.

If Los Angeles were to have less than 155 1st round points, Minnesota would then move onto the 2nd round.

I'm open to thoughts on this idea, fantasy hockey is in a weird predicament for playoffs, and I feel this allows teams to utilize all their players, and still have a fair shot at winning their playoff series. 

Edited by Nail
  • Cheers 1

One option would be to count buy in round towards regular season points then start the playoffs based off of round of 16.

Or skip entirely all points during the buy in and start playoffs with top 16 teams in NHL and FL. It's unfair to all teams that 7 teams will not be competing. 

Just two random ideas. Not sure if it's feasible with pickup 

Edited by Rush17

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

One option would be to count buy in round towards regular season points then start the playoffs based off of round of 16.

Or skip entirely all points during the buy in and start playoffs with top 16 teams in NHL and FL. It's unfair to all teams that 7 teams will not be competing. 

Just two random ideas. Not sure if it's feasible with pickup 

Well another thing I'm curious to know is if the teams eliminated in the play-in round automatically get picks 8-15.

If they do, I think there'll be some teams who wouldn't even want to participate in the play-in round here...

7 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I personally think we should follow what the league does as much as possible but won't complain either way.

That's ideally what I'd like to do.

I feel my proposal does this, it's just different in how we actually track the points. Teams irl don't really lose out on anything by receiving byes, but teams in FL with their players do.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nail said:

That's ideally what I'd like to do.

I feel my proposal does this, it's just different in how we actually track the points. Teams irl don't really lose out on anything by receiving byes, but teams in FL with their players do.

There's been mention of the teams with byes playing against each other, in an effort to get them warmed up for playoffs if nothing else.

Should they do that, we could use the points from those games during the play-in round.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:55 PM, Master Mind said:

There's been mention of the teams with byes playing against each other, in an effort to get them warmed up for playoffs if nothing else.

Should they do that, we could use the points from those games during the play-in round.

The points in those games might not be officially tracked, as they are essentially exhibition games.

I like the idea of incorporating 1st round points. However, it would be nice to not have the play-in and first round decided at the same time. What if just a portion of the 1st round is included, like the first 3-4 games? Then there could be a round of eliminations, (with the drama and chat that generates), then clear opponents for the remainder of the round and separate eliminations at the end of it.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

The points in those games might not be officially tracked, as they are essentially exhibition games.

I like the idea of incorporating 1st round points. However, it would be nice to not have the play-in and first round decided at the same time. What if just a portion of the 1st round is included, like the first 3-4 games? Then there could be a round of eliminations, (with the drama and chat that generates), then clear opponents for the remainder of the round and separate eliminations at the end of it.

Ideally those games are tracked. Even if Nail doesn't opt to use them, having the option is nice.

Plus, I think it'd be a lot easier if you didn't have to merge the rounds in any way.

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Ideally those games are tracked. Even if Nail doesn't opt to use them, having the option is nice.

Plus, I think it'd be a lot easier if you didn't have to merge the rounds in any way.

It would definitely be easier, but it becomes a question of fairness.

For instance, if Nail's match-ups were set, Boston plays Florida. Boston should have a much better team, but he has NINE players who have 1st round byes, including his top-2 scorers: (Cale Makar, Tom Wilson, Colton Parayko, Corey Perry, Oskar Sundqvist, Philippe Myers, Ondrej Kase, David Krejci, and Ryan Reaves)

In contrast, Florida only has five players who have 1st round byes, and none are among his top-6 producers: (Brandon Carlo, Matt Nieto, Marco Scandella, Michael Hutchinson, and Jacob De La Rose)

On top of that, 3 of Florida's top-6 producers - Patrick Kane, Clayton Keller, and Luke Kunin - are guys who wouldn't normally be playoff players, but will now be a big part of the play-in round. So although Boston has built a much better team for this season, including investing assets in premium playoff players, he's lining up to get royally screwed if 1st round points aren't included in some way.

Perhaps the exhibition games can be tracked, but it sounds like there will still be less of them. And it stands to reason they won't be played at the same intensity as games that count.

19 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It would definitely be easier, but it becomes a question of fairness.

For instance, if Nail's match-ups were set, Boston plays Florida. Boston should have a much better team, but he has NINE players who have 1st round byes, including his top-2 scorers: (Cale Makar, Tom Wilson, Colton Parayko, Corey Perry, Oskar Sundqvist, Philippe Myers, Ondrej Kase, David Krejci, and Ryan Reaves)

In contrast, Florida only has five players who have 1st round byes, and none are among his top-6 producers: (Brandon Carlo, Matt Nieto, Marco Scandella, Michael Hutchinson, and Jacob De La Rose)

On top of that, 3 of Florida's top-6 producers - Patrick Kane, Clayton Keller, and Luke Kunin - are guys who wouldn't normally be playoff players, but will now be a big part of the play-in round. So although Boston has built a much better team for this season, including investing assets in premium playoff players, he's lining up to get royally screwed if 1st round points aren't included in some way.

Perhaps the exhibition games can be tracked, but it sounds like there will still be less of them. And it stands to reason they won't be played at the same intensity as games that count.

Yes I was meaning if those games are tracked, then it's just easier to count them instead of merging.

I suspect there'd be 3 round robin games, which isn't too far off if the play in games are best of 3 or 5.

Whether or not they have the same intensity doesn't really matter for a fantasy league imo. Goals are still goals.

The Best 5's are a "Play In" for the playoffs. I think considering the language they use will be helpful. I know it comes across as an extension of the playoff bracket but if its a "play in". It means it isn't necessary a direct part of the playoffs. Even if they are playing a Bo5 which is like a playoff format.. lol why do they have to make it so confusing.

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Yes I was meaning if those games are tracked, then it's just easier to count them instead of merging.

I suspect there'd be 3 round robin games, which isn't too far off if the play in games are best of 3 or 5.

Whether or not they have the same intensity doesn't really matter for a fantasy league imo. Goals are still goals.

Yeah, but fights and misconducts will be pretty much non-existent in those games. So a guys like Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves will be far less productive.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, but fights and misconducts will be pretty much non-existent in those games. So a guys like Tom Wilson and Ryan Reaves will be far less productive.

I personally don't have a problem with that. I think getting points for misconducts is pretty lame anyway.

• Upvote 2