The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Goldobin, 1 year/900k

HerrDrFunk

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good contract, congrats Goldy. The salary will be attractive to another team when he's traded ;)

Goldobin has quite a bit of competition this year to get into the Top 6 (and stay). Not sure how his training is going this off season and how he'll look at camp, but guys like Virtanen, Baertschi and Pearson will also be battling for one of those spots. I hope he comes to camp a different player, otherwise bye.

id goldobin plays his way on top 6  baertchi will be trade bait  900 k or 3.5 mill    id be more suprised is sutter baer and tanev are still here at deadlind 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Mark my words Goldy will be the best money puck player in the league next year. 

If he scores 10 points McDavid would have to score around 130.  Pretty crazy when you think of it like that.  Boeser at 7million would have to score in the low 70’s ... which scenario seems more likely?

6 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

WTF....:huh:....JB you need your Fracking head checked....what a waste of money....even if this is bundle him up in a trade if anyone is willing to take on this inconsistent mercurial winger that can't play a 200' game...WTF....

are u kidding me goldy has  a ton of talent. cheap depth signing 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Good, fair terms imo.

True that his production in isolation would seem to 'earn' him more, but not so much when you look at the cumulatives and in context.

I don't think he earned/deserved as much as Motte, who was steadier, played hard minutes, was consistent and relentless night in and night out.

Nice to see that the NHL is levelling out in this sense.

Good luck to Goldy - nice to see him accept terms like this (I think they're reasonable) - he gives himself an opportunity to come in and earn a spot (might be in tight but who knows), or possibly if he finds himself on waivers, he could also find another team that wants to take a chance on him at that cap hit (maybe a good calculation on his and his agent's part).

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

WTF....:huh:....JB you need your Fracking head checked....what a waste of money....even if this is bundle him up in a trade if anyone is willing to take on this inconsistent mercurial winger that can't play a 200' game...WTF....

Well, there we have it. Does't matter what is done, there is always someone to complain about it. Even under 1$ million, 0 risk, re-signings of young offensive players.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Upvote 3

Nice cheap contract, I would have preferred a 2 yr deal for slightly more based on if he doesn't make our opening night roster he may be more likely to be passed on waivers due to the 2nd year AND if he does somehow impress coach Green and win a spot and has a decent year he is signed on the cheap for the following year and we avoid Arb rights with him next summer.

That all said, I personally believe barring injuries in the pre season I put Goldy's chance of making opening night roster at less than 50%, I hope I am wrong but we sure have a log jam...let the best 13 F win their spots. Here's to hoping Schaller and Eriksson are the ones who DONT make opening night roster!!!

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Benning also says he wants the top 9 to play in BOTH ENDS. Which still means 2-way. Since its September and he is signing for 900k, I suspect he is only a depth player and the team doesn't want to throw away an asset. He is either trade bait, or ,he is done this year its entirely up to him. A 900k player is not going to get another chance, I like how Benning is handling the new signings.

I don't think I've ever seen a more true post than this. Agree.

48 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Good, fair terms imo.

True that his production in isolation would seem to 'earn' him more, but not so much when you look at the cumulatives and in context.

I don't think he earned/deserved as much as Motte, who was steadier, played hard minutes, was consistent and relentless night in and night out.

Nice to see that the NHL is levelling out in this sense.

Good luck to Goldy - nice to see him accept terms like this (I think they're reasonable) - he gives himself an opportunity to come in and earn a spot (might be in tight but who knows), or possibly if he finds himself on waivers, he could also find another team that wants to take a chance on him at that cap hit (maybe a good calculation on his and his agent's part).

Like how you put this. Feel the same way. 

I also liked that recent Russian interview he did. Kid has good awareness, ethic, and approach to his game. Opportunity is all his for the taking. 

Reasonable deal... there is a chance he is better, if not he gets sent to Utica or claimed.  Neither of those affect our cap at all.

With Roussel injured, there is a chance for either Baertschi or Goldobin to be in a top nine spot with three lines expected to push the pace offensively.

There is absolutely no harm in Pearson, Miller, or Ferland ending up in the bottom half of the roster if they got bumped.  We would be better for it.

I prefer the three scoring lines like most good teams have now if we have the bodies.

Ferland-Petterson-Boeser

Goldobin/Baertschi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen

Leivo-Beagle-Motte

Baertschi/Goldobin

Makes it tough for top heavy teams to match up to the bottom two lines.... who will have capable 20 goal scorers who only have to face 3rd pairing D and fringe NHL/AHL level forwards.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Great signing.  I said in another thread how easy it is to like Goldobin. 

He has stated time & again he wants to be here. Could have done worse for himself.  Its nearly a million bucks in guaranteed money.  And with arbitration rights?  Likely to get anywhere from $1.5 to $2.5 next summer.

6 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

After boeser there’s going to be 16 forwards on contract something gotta happen unless loui and schaller go straight to Utica 

And your point is???  :bigblush:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, philtbc829 said:

Either you have rocks for brains or you’re doing it for attention...either way it’s immature / not a good look, so perhaps you should do everyone a favour a move along! 

• Upvote 2