[Signing] Canucks re-sign Goldobin, 1 year/900k

HerrDrFunk

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Goldobin-Miller-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Leivo

Thats the line up I am curious to see. Three scoring lines. I have no idea how good Miller is at C? I like Leivo better than Virtanen. Sutter will be injured so Virt can take his spot on the 4th line!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Thats the line up I am curious to see. Three scoring lines. I have no idea how good Miller is at C? I like Leivo better than Virtanen. Sutter will be injured so Virt can take his spot on the 4th line!

I don't see Baertschi on the top two lines. 

12 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm expecting big things from Goldy this year.  He needs to be stellar in camp to find even a position on the main roster.

Do you think there is much chance or much point to him being sent to Utica?  Because with this lineup, man, it's tough to see who he beats out... Leivo?  Motte?  Even Gaudette could surprise this year with a better scoring touch. 

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Holland likes to let his guys stay in the AHL longer.  Part of the reason they're in this mess is rushing guys.  Getting a guy with upside on a cheap contract, while allowing some of their prospects to mature in the AHL would definitely interest Edmonton.

Benson was drafted 2016, he's been around awhile. Yamamoto 2017. 

30 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benson was drafted 2016, he's been around awhile. Yamamoto 2017. 

Still eligible for waivers.  Gifting guys roster spots is what Edmonton's previous management did.  They aren't contenders this year unless they get relegated to the AHL where they belong, so why risk it?

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Holland likes to let his guys stay in the AHL longer.  Part of the reason they're in this mess is rushing guys.  Getting a guy with upside on a cheap contract, while allowing some of their prospects to mature in the AHL would definitely interest Edmonton.

Benson just had a point per game season in the AHL, he's probably seasoned enough. Imo, there is a good chance he makes the team out of camp. Yamamoto on the other hand, had some bad injury luck last season and didn't play that many games. He could probably benefit from another year in the minors.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Do you think there is much chance or much point to him being sent to Utica?  Because with this lineup, man, it's tough to see who he beats out... Leivo?  Motte?  Even Gaudette could surprise this year with a better scoring touch. 

I don't think there is much for Goldobin to accomplish in the AHL.  If he can't make the main roster, either the Canucks trade him out quickly or he becomes someone else's waiver project.

There could be several scenarios that unfold that allow Goldobin to stay on the main roster.

Injuries, Boeser holding out (God forbid), used as a plug in forward (13/14th forward sub in), or much preferably he works his butt off and takes a job from someone.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see Baertschi on the top two lines. 

Fair enough. I feel like Goldy is the type of player the second line needs, to create some offence, its just if he can bring it consistently and is not too much of a liability everywhere else.Id like to see him for a little bit of time on the second.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Benson just had a point per game season in the AHL, he's probably seasoned enough. Imo, there is a good chance he makes the team out of camp. Yamamoto on the other hand, had some bad injury luck last season and didn't play that many games. He could probably benefit from another year in the minors.

Earning a spot and having it handed to you are two different things.  I'm hoping Goldy makes the Canucks and is ready to do what the coach asks of him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I like Baer, but that first line is far too soft and EP40 already took too many cheap shots last year.  Ferland is exactly the type of guy they need, both for protection and to dig pucks out of the corners.  I'd rather:

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Goldobin-Miller-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Leivo

Feed Gaud big minutes in Utica and call him up when injuries hit.  First step is for Goldy to make the team.

This as a steady lineup would mean a lot of things went well for us.  Ferland being able to keep up, retrieve picks from

corners and be a net front presence on the top line; both Baertschi and Goldobin being on pace for 20 goals

and 40 points; and Pearson maintaining solid production with Horvat.

Three scoring lines is how you are successful in this league.  Green wants an up tempo style where he is pushing the pace all the time.  This is the first year he might have the horses to do it.

I am not fussed like some about Miller being on a 3rd line.  He will also get PP and even PK time so will have similar minutes to the top 6 guys.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Per Her Son said:

Leivo shouldn't make the team

People laugh, but he was really poor down the stretch. 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 17 games, despite getting more than 17mins per night, with 43 shots and just 6 hits. He looked good when he first came in, but Tanner Pearson stole his thunder and I could easily see Leivo being 13th forward.

11 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I like Baer, but that first line is far too soft and EP40 already took too many cheap shots last year.  Ferland is exactly the type of guy they need, both for protection and to dig pucks out of the corners.  I'd rather:

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Goldobin-Miller-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Leivo

Feed Gaud big minutes in Utica and call him up when injuries hit.  First step is for Goldy to make the team.

This would be a good top 9 arrangement and TG would be able to move the pieces around when needed. I still do like Bo with Brock and Goldobin with EP40, but TG could have a couple of different line sets and he could change them around whenever he felt the need.

20 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Exactly.

You want arbitration, you better produce in order to take some stats into your arbitration meeting. 

This could potentially be very good for us if Goldy is motivated to cash in on a good year. 

This is good for us, regardless of the outcome. If he's motivated and does well, brilliant, and if he isn't, we've ducked the bullet...

Very pleased...