The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes re-sign Clayton Keller

8 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Too many teams got burned by bridge contracts and they've learned it's better to sign long term deals while a player is young. 

With the cap going up each year, bridge contracts are a bad idea. 

Depends on what kind of player you're dealing with.

Though I agree that top dmen and forwards need to be locked up long term, players projecting to second pairing or middle six should have bridge contracts and shorter contracts all together.

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

That's what timo myer just signed 

He would not have signed it if he wasn't gonna make 10mil that final year which I am pretty sure will make his qualifying offer 10mil. Gives him unbelievable negotiating power as a RFA. They qualify him he accepts the 10mil contract if they don't qualify him they have until July 1st to sign him or he's a UFA.

55 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Keller had 14 goals in 82 games last year. Not comparable anymore at all. This is not good for us IMO. Boeser's camp will look at this and demand alot more for sure . 

Both were rookie of the year candidates. I'm sure both are seen as equal in value. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Or a 65 point player. It's not fair to judge a player based on his sophomore slump. Heck Nathan MacKinnon had a similar slump his second season and I think most would dream having MacKinnon on Keller's contract. 

If anything I think Keller is closer to a 65 pt player than a 47 pt one through out his career. 

I'd rather have MacKinnon on MacKinnon's contract ::D

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Well, Boeser is better than Keller.  That puts a floor on what he would get for a max term deal.

Seems like an overpayment to me, but hey that could be the market.  Maybe more specifically a risk rather than overpayment.  If you believe Keller as a rookie with lots of upside, it is fine as he is a Boeser comparable.  If you think his sophomore season may indicate less upside, then it is a risky deal locking him up at that price tag for so many years.

I don't think so, I don't think GM's look at comparables for RFA players as much as people think.  Of course, agents will, but ultimately, RFA's don't have a lot of leverage, it's just a matter of how much backbonme a GM has.  Right now, the two overpaying GM's are both young and inexperienced and are going to get themselves into hot water soon enough.  JB is, I hope, smarter than that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Or a 65 point player. It's not fair to judge a player based on his sophomore slump. Heck Nathan MacKinnon had a similar slump his second season and I think most would dream having MacKinnon on Keller's contract. 

If anything I think Keller is closer to a 65 pt player than a 47 pt one through out his career. 

Or not. Look at who he played with in the rookie season. And more importantly, look at his deployment, and who was assigned to cover him. If he's now moved into #1 role, I expect that 45pts is probably his norm.

Edited by xereau

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Or not. Look at who he played with in the rookie season. And more importantly, look at his deployment, and who was assigned to cover him. If he's now moved into #1 role, I expect that 45pts is probably his norm.

What’s the difference? Domi for Gally? I don’t see that being a huge deal for Keller’s sake as Domi wasn’t doing a helluva lot in the desert anyway. Arizona has Phildo now too. 

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think so, I don't think GM's look at comparables for RFA players as much as people think.  Of course, agents will, but ultimately, RFA's don't have a lot of leverage, it's just a matter of how much backbonme a GM has.  Right now, the two overpaying GM's are both young and inexperienced and are going to get themselves into hot water soon enough.  JB is, I hope, smarter than that.

Benning mentioned in an interview that both sides had comparables they brought to the table. Benning mentioned Meier if I recall, which when you understand how his contract works is a bit more than just he took 4 years at 6mil.

Of course the media loves the signing. Not saying good or bad contract but Arizona and Chayka are one of the media darlings. I get so tired of the "good move by Chayka" crap. The guy can do no wrong, but really the team is still a big question mark. JB on the other hand gets the hairy eyeball from the media with every move he makes. 

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

Depends on what kind of player you're dealing with.

Though I agree that top dmen and forwards need to be locked up long term, players projecting to second pairing or middle six should have bridge contracts and shorter contracts all together.

We might see a few, although it would be a bad deal for the teams, who'll just have to pony up even more cash for older players in a couple years. 

Especially if teams aren't willing to do 4-5 years and players aren't willing to do 6+ years.