The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, stawns said:

If he gets sent down, he's far from the first to outplay other players and still get sent down and he's far from the last.  There's nothing wrong with paying his dues.  If he makes it, great, as long as they don't sacrifice depth to keep him.

It does go against what Benning has said that if young players perform, they will make room for them. It doesn't have to opening night, but they need to be actively trying to make room if they've earned it. That's why Motte last year cracked a spot despite not needing waivers (but he got an opening night roster spot because Gagner didn't perform and no one worried about lost depth there). We don't have someone as obvious as Gagner to be sent down, but that just means we do have better depth, but Gaudette has played above some of that depth and is deserving of a spot. Injuries will be the blessing in disguise, but at the end of the day, they will have to make trades (or sacrifice players on waivers) no matter what and especially when Roussel is back as well.

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

If we're being completely honest.......if Gaudette has earned a spot, then so has Breezer.  He's played better than Biega and Stretcher and probably as good or better than QH.

Actually I questioned if even Hughes has earned a spot. IMO he didn't have a great camp/preseason, but I also feel like he's not 100%. I know people might not like this as they see Hughes in a higher light so his poorer play may be overlooked, but with Brisebois up, I think it's either this or they're still considering carrying 8 D which means more forwards sacrificed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Actually I questioned if even Hughes has earned a spot. IMO he didn't have a great camp/preseason, but I also feel like he's not 100%. I know people might not like this as they see Hughes in a higher light so his poorer play may be overlooked, but with Brisebois up, I think it's either this or they're still considering carrying 8 D which means more forwards sacrificed.

i think that they know that quinn will struggle somewhat but his skill set is so high, they will live with his development. you are right though that he is struggling. management may not see things, just the way we do.  in a perfect world, they would make moves that mirror our opinions. 

gaudette could still benefit from a short time in utica. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't QH has earned a spot, at all.  He shows spurts of brilliance, for sure, but I'm not sure he's a regular NHL dman yet.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I liked the chemistry of Baer and Gaudette and think both have earned a spot. My line up would be

Ferland Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller 

Baerschi Sutter Gaudette 

Virtanen Beagle Motte 

Leivo as the extra forward and I know Gaudette normally plays centre but i think he can adjust. (they should have tried him on wing during preseason) 

In season, i think we are trading Sutter and moving Gaudette to C unless the lines are firing on all cylinders. 

I like this lineup best, from what I've seen in pre-season and from the viewpoint of team culture/development.  

I think Gaudette has to make this team, or it will be sending a message to the whole organization that preparation and performance don't matter.

Given the (hate to say it) fragility of Sutter and Baertschi, there are good reasons to carry an extra center/forward out of camp.  Which is what we're doing keeping Motte or Leivo when we know Roussel is coming back in a while.

Eriksson is done.  Goldobin has earned his chance to go through waivers.  If they aren't picked up, we can do something with them later, although I think Eriksson is not going to be seen much more than we saw Gagner last year.

Pearson and Leivo didn't do much this camp, but I think they are seen as better keepers than Goldobin or Eriksson.  TBH, if either of Pearson or Leivo were eating up much cap space I think they'd be waived, as they were practically invisible.  Goldobin looked better than both for a good chunk of the pre-season. 

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Jake needs a lot more than 14 days to get “conditioned”

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I like this lineup best, from what I've seen in pre-season and from the viewpoint of team culture/development.  

I think Gaudette has to make this team, or it will be sending a message to the whole organization that preparation and performance don't matter.

Given the (hate to say it) fragility of Sutter and Baertschi, there are good reasons to carry an extra center/forward out of camp.  Which is what we're doing keeping Motte or Leivo when we know Roussel is coming back in a while.

Eriksson is done.  Goldobin has earned his chance to go through waivers.  If they aren't picked up, we can do something with them later, although I think Eriksson is not going to be seen much more than we saw Gagner last year.

Pearson and Leivo didn't do much this camp, but I think they are seen as better keepers than Goldobin or Eriksson.  TBH, if either of Pearson or Leivo were eating up much cap space I think they'd be waived, as they were practically invisible.  Goldobin looked better than both for a good chunk of the pre-season. 

Such is myth.  Players aren't stupid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, stawns said:

On what grounds?

Vegas Knights are experts at using this loophole to get around roster limits on a temporary basis. Easy enough to make up a  strained back or knee strain. Virtanen is probably going to spend the first 2 weeks of the season in the press box anyway, might as well loan him to Utica.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Vegas Knights are experts at using this loophole to get around roster limits on a temporary basis. Easy enough to make up a  strained back or knee strain. Virtanen is probably going to spend the first 2 weeks of the season in the press box anyway, might as well loan him to Utica.

Why would he?

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

i think that they know that quinn will struggle somewhat but his skill set is so high, they will live with his development. 

Not unexpected at all.  Early last season Rasmus Dahlin had many games in which he struggled, and delivered up pizzas that would astonish even the hardest-core Sbisa haters.  Like with Gaudette, the question becomes where he is better-served in his development -- the AHL or NHL.  It could be well-argued the latter for both.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Maybe just to pave over a bad impression made with coach Green. Show some commitment .

Green knows exactly what Virt brings and sees him as an important element on the team.  That said, it wouldn't be out of character for green to send a message by sitting him for a game, regardless if it's justified or not 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1