The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

154 last season. 

He said big hits that force opponents to keep their head on a swivel.  Not 154 rub outs on the board. 

People are delusional if you have some sort of fantasy that Virtanen will all of a sudden become a Ferland like type player in playoffs. 

I've got sand to sell you at the beach.

Why just Virtanen ?

Why not sell the magic beans and say Goldobin will be a beast in playoffs too..

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

I think the fanbase suffers from Cam Neeley PTSD.  

Were afraid to move on from JV because what if hes a layer bloomer.  

This is interesting, and I don't disagree. The idea of the Canucks trading Jake, for say, a 2nd or 3rd rounder, seems a little scary considering he might further develop and suddenly get it with another team. Yes, the Canucks traded Neely too soon back in the 80s, but he was only 21-22 years old when he was traded to the Bruins. 

Jake is 23, has never scored more than 15 goals (25 pts). At Jake's age, Neely scored 37 goals (75 pts).   

Jake is not Neely

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is interesting, and I don't disagree. The idea of the Canucks trading Jake, for say, a 2nd or 3rd rounder, seems a little scary considering he might further develop and suddenly get it with another team. Yes, the Canucks traded Neely too soon back in the 80s, but he was only 21-22 years old when he was traded to the Bruins. 

Jake is 23, has never scored more than 15 goals (25 pts). At Jake's age, Neely scored 37 goals (75 pts).   

Jake is not Neely

Tom Wilson broke out at 24 was it? Only thing is Jake doesn't do what Wilson does without the puck.

His production however ramped up then. I can't imagine him not having it figured by the time he's 24.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Tom Wilson broke out at 24 was it? Only thing is Jake doesn't do what Wilson does without the puck.

His production however ramped up then. I can't imagine him not having it figured by the time he's 24.

Jake needs to find him self a good woman (hopefully works as a nutritionist), settle down, and grow up already. His time has to be running out here, he was suppose to be a foundational piece. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

He said big hits that force opponents to keep their head on a swivel.  Not 154 rub outs on the board. 

People are delusional if you have some sort of fantasy that Virtanen will all of a sudden become a Ferland like type player in playoffs. 

I've got sand to sell you at the beach.

Why just Virtanen ?

Why not sell the magic beans and say Goldobin will be a beast in playoffs too..

meh, you're ranting. We don't know what he'd be in the playoffs, some guys do find extra gears they don't show in the regular season. 

Trading him based on your scenario would be a waste of an asset. You want to throw him away for "magic beans" if you think all he's worth is a 4th with a 10% chance of playing 100 games. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's from Abbotsford, actually.

Milan Lucic and Evander Kane are both actually from Vancouver and are two players who rarely ever back down. Do you have an actual point?

The Good, the Bad and the Fugly.

image.thumb.png.3425cae4b3c5adf5a39d928f03d99447.png

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

meh, you're ranting. We don't know what he'd be in the playoffs, some guys do find extra gears they don't show in the regular season. 

Trading him based on your scenario would be a waste of an asset. You want to throw him away for "magic beans" if you think all he's worth is a 4th with a 10% chance of playing 100 games. 

All I'm saying is there is more evidence and a waaaaay higher chance that Jake is what he is and not some miracle playoff performer.  

The more damaging result has been his off ice lifestyle and lack of professionalism rather than his skill itself.  

Hes a fine bottom 6 player and that's what he is   ..I've accepted that. 

However I still don't want him in our core... we have  a motivated, driven and eager core lef by Horvat Pettersson and Boeser. .. those are the type of characters I want.  

I'd move Jake for a pick , 3rd, 4th...   sure those picks may not amount to anything with whomever we draft..  but if u  can you have an overly optimistic outlook that Jake will become a playoff player then I'll do the same and and say that the 3rd rnd pick we draft will be a top 6 star for us one day.  

We can also use the draft pick to package for a stud.  Just look at the JT Miller trade... there was a 3rd in there that isnt considered a throw in.  Draft picks are valuable in trades.  

11 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I noticed the lack of response to Boeser too.  Shades of last year.  Fantenberg, too.  Disturbing. 

If it weren't for Hutton and arbitration money, lol, he looks better than Benn and possibly better over time than Myers.

In the summer, maybe JB panicked a bit on the D situation?  

I still think it has more to do with Baumgartner and coaching

We all had high hopes for Hutton and Guber, but neither progressed and in fact regressed. It will be interesting to see how they fair under different coaches. One will play under an ex-Oiler coach and the other  an ex-Canuck coach.

Then there is Jake and Goldy, not progressing and looking to follow Hutton and Guber out of town.

So the fans now pin our hopes on Myers, Benn and Gaudette, (this years Motte, 110% effort)

The old saying goes, "its easier to change the coach tnan the 20 players" JB is trying to prove that theory wrong.

• Upvote 1

The reason why there are talks/people calling about Jake is because he is likely our "most valuable asset that we would consider moving"  - some of the other trades I've seen/heard suggested are likely not going to happen unless the other GM is trapped in a torture chamber listening to Celine Dion music....

That said, it will be difficult for the Canucks to deal him, as other teams don't pay full price for potential....The only reason why they would move him at less than fair market value is if there are other circumstances/negatives with the player

Prediction: Jake does not get traded this season, unless the Canucks are out of the playoff mix at the trade deadline

Prediction 2: It wouldn't surprise me if he is a healthy scratch on opening night, or in one of the first 3 games of the regular season

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

Yes its preseason but JV isnt a vet or a core player that considered a staple on this team.  

The coach has firmly given him expectations when season ended last year and it looks like he did not put in the work.  

He has has a terrible camp and preseason.   He isnt someone that should have gone into this preseason with a relaxed, easy breezy attitude.  He should be hungry , motivated and dominating.  Not even close. 

The problem is , I think the fanbase suffers from Cam Neeley PTSD.  

Were afraid to move on from JV because what if hes a layer bloomer.  

Unfortunately, guys like Neely and Bertuzzi and are the exceptions. 

Virtanen isnt a power forward. He doesnt drive the the net.  What we see is what we get from him. 

When Ferraro said JV at best will become a Janik Hansen, the fans base erupted.  

Now it would almost be a shock if he became anywhere near as useful as the Honey Badger

A 3rd line player isn't a bubble player.  Only 4th liners really have to play their hearts out and always complete (Motte).  JV's 15 goals last season will keep him on the team.