The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Players who should be cut already (0% chance of making the team without injuries):

Tyler Graovac

Guillaume Brisebois

Jalen Chatfield

Richard Bachman

Time to start getting down to business and building chemistry. We need to come out of the gate strong and our play still looks pretty sloppy. 

They have back-to-back games so after Wednesday, I expect all those guys to be sent down.  Can't play the vets in b2b situations this early when it's not needed.  Gaudette and Goldie are maybe the only ones that will probably play in both.  If Goldie only plays in 1, I think he'll be put on waivers.  Also depending on how serious Fantenberg's injury is, a roster spot might've just opened up.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

A 3rd line player isn't a bubble player.  Only 4th liners really have to play their hearts out and always complete (Motte).  JV's 15 goals last season will keep him on the team.

This sounds like more excuses.  

I cant believe  people are actually defending Jake for coming into training camp out of shape and then having a a lackluster effort in preseason and getting outworked by guys like Adam Gaudette and Tyler Grovoac.  

Green has given him plenty of stern warnings.  From putting him with echlers  at camp to saying he is disappointment w. Compete level. 

Jake will find himself a healthy scratch  in some nights if he keeps this up.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

This sounds like more excuses.  

I cant believe  people are actually defending Jake for coming into training camp out of shape and then having a a lackluster effort in preseason and getting outworked by guys like Adam Gaudette and Tyler Grovoac.  

Green has given him plenty of stern warnings.  From putting him with echlers  at camp to saying he is disappointment w. Compete level. 

Jake will find himself a healthy scratch  in some nights if he keeps this up.  

If he continues to play like this in the regular season, then yes he deserves to be a healthy scratch.  But it isn't the regular season so why worry about it right now?  But as of right now, it's a meaningless time for most players, other than to get some timing, work on a few skills and most importantly, NOT GET HURT!!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point, d'oh!

I was looking for something a little more substantial to get that crap out of the game.

That's the player safety departments job.  Set an example and suspend the guy for a game.  We don't need that crap in the game.  Maybe give him a 5 min. major too.

Edited by Viper007
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

That's the player safety departments job.  Set an example and suspend the guy for a game.  We don't need that crap in the game.  Maybe give him a 5 min. major too.

Is that player, who hit Brock, an AHL guy?  It's the preseason, and I wonder if our star guys should even be playing?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is that player, who hit Brock, an AHL guy?  It's the preseason, and I wonder if our star guys should even be playing?

No it wasn't, it was Chris Tierney.

Brock need to play though to get his timing.  He missed training camp.

Edited by Viper007

50 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

I'd move Jake for a pick , 3rd, 4th...   sure those picks may not amount to anything with whomever we draft..  but if u  can you have an overly optimistic outlook that Jake will become a playoff player then I'll do the same and and say that the 3rd rnd pick we draft will be a top 6 star for us one day.  

We can also use the draft pick to package for a stud.  Just look at the JT Miller trade... there was a 3rd in there that isnt considered a throw in.  Draft picks are valuable in trades.  

these are the odds of a 3rd or 4th even playing just 50 games: https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144 

its not good. You keep Jake not move him for someone with a 20% chance of being less than Jake.

Like I said earlier, I'm fine with a Jake trade if it provides an immediate team upgrade. But we have no need to move him for a 1/5 chance of an NHL player. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

these are the odds of a 3rd or 4th even playing just 50 games: https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144 

its not good. You keep Jake not move him for someone with a 20% chance of being less than Jake.

Like I said earlier, I'm fine with a Jake trade if it provides an immediate team upgrade. But we have no need to move him for a 1/5 chance of an NHL player. 

Jake is - as of now -  a serviceable 3rd or 4th line player, who is still young (emotionally) that could become a force if he "gets it".  Plus, he's cheap.  No reason to move on, unless it's a guy we want, who is similar age and ceiling.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake is - as of now -  a serviceable 3rd or 4th line player, who is still young (emotionally) that could become a force if he "gets it".  Plus, he's cheap.  No reason to move on, unless it's a guy we want, who is similar age and ceiling.

that or maybe a d upgrade. Or maybe as part of some package. But he's not in dumpster territory. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, rychicken said:

The reason why there are talks/people calling about Jake is because he is likely our "most valuable asset that we would consider moving"  - some of the other trades I've seen/heard suggested are likely not going to happen unless the other GM is trapped in a torture chamber listening to Celine Dion music....

That said, it will be difficult for the Canucks to deal him, as other teams don't pay full price for potential....The only reason why they would move him at less than fair market value is if there are other circumstances/negatives with the player

Prediction: Jake does not get traded this season, unless the Canucks are out of the playoff mix at the trade deadline

Prediction 2: It wouldn't surprise me if he is a healthy scratch on opening night, or in one of the first 3 games of the regular season

Jake is a 20 goal guy if healthy, from the bottom 6 no less, and he only costs a little over a million.  Why in the world would you trade him?  He's one of the best value added players on the team.......you need guys like Jake in order to keep Boes, Horvat, Hughes and Petey together.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, lmm said:

I still think it has more to do with Baumgartner and coaching

We all had high hopes for Hutton and Guber, but neither progressed and in fact regressed. It will be interesting to see how they fair under different coaches. One will play under an ex-Oiler coach and the other  an ex-Canuck coach.

Then there is Jake and Goldy, not progressing and looking to follow Hutton and Guber out of town.

So the fans now pin our hopes on Myers, Benn and Gaudette, (this years Motte, 110% effort)

The old saying goes, "its easier to change the coach tnan the 20 players" JB is trying to prove that theory wrong.

True in many ways.  I remember one of the classic lines out of European hockey years and years ago (and Howie Meeker too): was that North American coaching only knew one strategy, "try harder." 

Yet, Virtanen and Goldobin don't need to try harder.  They need to learn new things.  Benning seems to think that if you get enough mediocre players in camp/in the system that mysteriously someone will "evolve".   Seems less and less likely the longer you watch players go through their careers.

Guys like Motte fulfill the "try harder" ideal, and can even be used as models for players who have more talent. And guys that play a smoother style (Grabner, e.g.,) are seen as "not trying hard enough."  Probably a mistaken strategy.

Re: Hutton.  I think he did improve a bit last year.  Better defensively, more efficient.  But, doesn't change the fact he was arguably almost as good the first year he made the team (and then had some up and down spots the next year or two.) 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gameburn said:

True in many ways.  I remember one of the classic lines out of European hockey years and years ago (and Howie Meeker too): was that North American coaching only knew one strategy, "try harder." 

Yet, Virtanen and Goldobin don't need to try harder.  They need to learn new things.  Benning seems to think that if you get enough mediocre players in camp/in the system that mysteriously someone will "evolve".   Seems less and less likely the longer you watch players go through their careers.

Guys like Motte fulfill the "try harder" ideal, and can even be used as models for players who have more talent. And guys that play a smoother style (Grabner, e.g.,) are seen as "not trying hard enough."  Probably a mistaken strategy.

Re: Hutton.  I think he did improve a bit last year.  Better defensively, more efficient.  But, doesn't change the fact he was arguably almost as good the first year he made the team (and then had some up and down spots the next year or two.) 

out of curiosity, who do you feel is a great 3rd line player in the league?

• Upvote 1