The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I think one of the things that is being overlooked on the "who makes it and who doesnt" amongst the games themselves are the practice performances and effort levels there.

Guys who might look not-so-good in games (and in our eyesight) might just be putting everything into the gym, or in practice as it is 'preseason'. Not saying that's completely bright, but there are more factors for the coaches to consider than the 2 hours of gametime that we are seeing.

Guys who show the right things in practice will eventually show the right things in games. Good habits lead to good results, eventually.

It's the guys who let themselves fall to pieces and then not make any attempt to fix it, those are the true 'bubble' players. I'm very curious who makes the cut this year based on all factors, not just a half dozen preseason games.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, brownky said:

I think one of the things that is being overlooked on the "who makes it and who doesnt" amongst the games themselves are the practice performances and effort levels there.

Guys who might look not-so-good in games (and in our eyesight) might just be putting everything into the gym, or in practice as it is 'preseason'. Not saying that's completely bright, but there are more factors for the coaches to consider than the 2 hours of gametime that we are seeing.

Guys who show the right things in practice will eventually show the right things in games. Good habits lead to good results, eventually.

It's the guys who let themselves fall to pieces and then not make any attempt to fix it, those are the true 'bubble' players. I'm very curious who makes the cut this year based on all factors, not just a half dozen preseason games.

Yup.

And it's 'easy' (relatively anyway) to look good as a bubble player flying around at 110% against pro's who are playing at 75%. It's no guarantee of a spot over those guys.

Coaches aren't morons (contrary to half of CDC who thinks they know and could do better).

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No real beef with him, he played well with Gaudette, forming real good chemistry. Problem is, they're going to send Gaudette away. ??

How is that a problem?

He can go to Utica, light it up and be the first call up when the inevitable injury happens. Once he's up, he can assert himself and make management decide then.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

How is that a problem?

He can go to Utica, light it up and be the first call up when the inevitable injury happens. Once he's up, he can assert himself and make management decide then.

That's all fine and well for Utica, but Vancouver will have Eriksson, Virtanen and Goldobin on it. Boo I say.

• Haha 2

It's preseason and I get it, but I was hoping the line of Pearson  Horvat  Miller  could carry the team like a #1 line and Horvat had a bad game.  I think Horvat and Hughes should go for beers and gel some because Horvat had a tough time collecting Hughes' passes. 

Beagle and Sutter on the same line looked really bad so that shouldn't be a thing.

Least impressive players last night :  Sutter, Pearson    

15 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I agree, I thought Pearson was ineffective and played pretty poorly. I'm not sure he's the best fit for that 2nd line. I guess when they send Gaudette back to NY, Baer will need to play with someone. Could he join that line? He and Bo have had chemistry before.

Baertschi - Horvat - Miller 

Then maybe Pearson joins Leivo and Sutter on the 3rd?

Pearson - Sutter - Leivo

That wopuld leave Eriksson, Beagle, Virtanen, Goldobin and Motte to battle for a 4th line spot. Unfortunately for Motte, he'll probably be the odd man out, even though he works harder than anybody.  

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That wopuld leave Eriksson, Beagle, Virtanen, Goldobin and Motte to battle for a 4th line spot. Unfortunately for Motte, he'll probably be the odd man out, even though he works harder than anybody.  

When you have to work at 150% effort every night just to look below average in a bottom 6 role, you probably aren't suited for it long term anyways.

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I'd rather have Gaudette at wing. He hasn't been good on the dot or in his own zone enough for him to center a 3rd line. Eliminate that factor while allowing him to flourish more successfully as a winger offensively. ALSO he could play in the top 6 with Bo/Miller.

I agree with you and disagree at the same time.  Sutter and Beagle would be better for the reasons you mention but sutter and Beagle don't bring much scoring and it would be nice to have 3 lines that can score semi-regularly: with the third line being:

Baertschi or Pearson      Gaudette      Leivo/Virtanen/Goldy 

If we did this Beagle and Sutter would each centre their own pk unit.  if were leading later in the 3rd period we can shift Sutter to Gaudette's line and send Virtanen or Leivo (assuming goldy is scratched) to the 4th line(Beagles). 

Gaudette can improve but I don't think he's that bad defensively. 

Edited by brian42

38 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

It's preseason and I get it, but I was hoping the line of Pearson  Horvat  Miller  could carry the team like a #1 line and Horvat had a bad game.  I think Horvat and Hughes should go for beers and gel some because Horvat had a tough time collecting Hughes' passes. 

Beagle and Sutter on the same line looked really bad so that shouldn't be a thing.

Didn’t even know Sutter was playing last night until I noticed him taking a faceoff late in the second. 

As good as Gaudette is doing vs scrubs in the pre season....

I still firmly believe he should go to Utica and play as Top line Centre in every situation.  

It's his first full year as  a pro, there is no harm in sending him down and letting him develop.

The alternative is he makes the team playing 6-10 minutes a game.  

Why would we limit his developmental ceiling like that ?

• Upvote 2

Well, I'm kind done with the preseason. Bring on the real games. I suspect Gaudette, Schaller, Motte, MacEwen, Graovac, Brisebois, Chatfield, etc. will all be waived/sent down.

What's going on with Demko? He looked terrible the last half of the game.

Let's get real, Eriksson, Virtanen and Goldobin all have a spot on this team (unless Benning can make a trade or two) 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1