The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

As good as Gaudette is doing vs scrubs in the pre season....

I still firmly believe he should go to Utica and play as Top line Centre in every situation.  

It's his first full year as  a pro, there is no harm in sending him down and letting him develop.

The alternative is he makes the team playing 6-10 minutes a game.  

Why would we limit his developmental ceiling like that ?

how do you figure?

Who is Gaudette gonna beat out?  Not EP, Not Horvat, Not Sutter, Not Beagle.  Unless one of the last 2 are traded, Gaudette is going to the minors.  People say he's earned to be here, but he's not a winger.  He's a centre, and he has to beat out Sutter and Beagle.  Considering it's not all about the offense on the 3rd and 4th lines, more about the 2 way play and faceoffs, I believe he needs to work on these still.  The Canucks need centreman for the PK, and Sutter and Beagle fit that bill.  Gaudette does not.  I don't think they'll use Horvat on the PK, unless the PK starts to really struggle.  Save him for offensive duties.  Of course all of these can change with injuries.

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser/Leivo

Baertschi - Horvat - Miller

Leivo/Eriksson - Sutter - Pearson

Eriksson - Beagle - Virtanen

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Extra: Biega, Fantenberg, Motte

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Hard work beats skill when skill doesnt work hard

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

In an ideal world yes. NHL isn't ideal.

@RonMexico There are countless examples in the NHL where hard work defeats skill that doesn't work hard. Where were you last post-season when CBJ swept TB? And that's just one. Many talented players are demoted to 3rd or 4th line while the lesser-skilled players are promoted because they worked harder than their more talented teammate.

53 minutes ago, DownGoesMcdavid said:

As good as Gaudette is doing vs scrubs in the pre season....

I still firmly believe he should go to Utica and play as Top line Centre in every situation.  

It's his first full year as  a pro, there is no harm in sending him down and letting him develop.

The alternative is he makes the team playing 6-10 minutes a game.  

Why would we limit his developmental ceiling like that ?

Gaudette is 22 years old, he's not an 18-20 years old.  IMO he needs to play in the NHL right now and learn the NHL game.

I've said for a while that Gaudette and Sutter should play together.  Sutter would be a good mentor and teacher.  On a 3rd line Gaudette would play 10-13 minutes, which IMO is better than playing 20 in an inferior level.  Originally I've said put Sutter on Gaudette's wing, might help him stay healthy, but now I'd say use Gaudette at wing and give the defensive duties to Sutter while Gaudette can play a scoring role on that line.  Gaudette provides a backup option in case Sutter gets injured.

Ferland-Petterson-Boeser(Goldy while Boeser out)

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Gaudette

Leivo-Beagle-Virtanen

Eriksson-Goldy

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Who is Gaudette gonna beat out?  Not EP, Not Horvat, Not Sutter, Not Beagle.  Unless one of the last 2 are traded, Gaudette is going to the minors.  People say he's earned to be here, but he's not a winger.  He's a centre, and he has to beat out Sutter and Beagle.  Considering it's not all about the offense on the 3rd and 4th lines, more about the 2 way play and faceoffs, I believe he needs to work on these still.  The Canucks need centreman for the PK, and Sutter and Beagle fit that bill.  Gaudette does not.  I don't think they'll use Horvat on the PK, unless the PK starts to really struggle.  Save him for offensive duties.  Of course all of these can change with injuries.

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser/Leivo

Baertschi - Horvat - Miller

Leivo/Eriksson - Sutter - Pearson

Eriksson - Beagle - Virtanen

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Extra: Biega, Fantenberg, Motte

Sutter has played wing in the past.  Gaudette-Sutter could be a line or Sutter could play with Beagle.  Teams are moving to 3 scoring lines.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Sutter has played wing in the past.  Gaudette-Sutter could be a line or Sutter could play with Beagle.  Teams are moving to 3 scoring lines.  

Yes please!!

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi - Gaudette - Leivo

Sutter - Beagle - Virtanen

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Miller

Baertschi Gaudette Sutter

Leivo Beagle Virtanen 

Motte, Goldobin

Waive Eriksson and Schaller

Gives them time to work out a trade before Roussel comes back. Eriksson can be called back up later if he’s still in Utica.

I totally agree with your projected roster.  Why in the hell would we put a guy (or guys) on waivers who might get claimed, and have performed better than Schaller and Loui?

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think it could come down to Motte if they want to keep Gaudette........which I don't think they'd do, as Motte would get claimed, almost guaranteed.

Still don't see them waiving Motte (for that exact reason), even to keep Gaudette.

That and Green LOVES Motte. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pearson Horvat Miller

Leivo Beagle Virtanen 

Motte, Goldobin

Gives them time to work out a trade before Roussel comes back. Eriksson can be called back up later if he’s still in Utica.

Looks like we're on the same page lol

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Still don't see them waiving Motte (for that exact reason), even to keep Gaudette.

I agree, I wouldn't want to see him waived either.  I don't think he's had a great pre-season, but we know what we get with TM.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pearson Horvat Miller

Leivo Beagle Virtanen 

Motte, Goldobin

I just don't see that as the best plan for AG.  He'd benefir far more from double the mins and being "THE" guy in Utica.......at least to start.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Canucks need goals though.  Green seems to like a lot of players who are reliable but don't produce a whole lot.  How many can you really have on a team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Looks like we're on the same page lol

It gives us the best depth IMO.

They don’t need to carry two extra D men this year with Juolevi, Teves, Rafferty, Brisebois and Sautner in Utica. Best young depth they’ve had in a long time.

Keeping Eriksson for his penalty killing and streaky scoring may not be the best option. We have enough guys that can fill that role. And Schaller is just an easy choice. Hasn’t shown enough of anything to warrant a spot. He would just be taking away a spot from a more deserving call up like MacEwan.

Having a skilled guy like Goldobin and an energy guy like Motte gives us good flexibility with the roster when injuries hit. Goldobin can continue to try and win Green over when he gets his chances.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Canucks need goals though.  Green seems to like a lot of players who are reliable but don't produce a whole lot.  How many can you really have on a team.

They also need to prevent them against. How many players can you have on one team that can't play in their own end?