The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They also need to prevent them against. How many players can you have on one team that can't play in their own end?

Hitchcock who is known as a defensive coach says the best way to defend in the new NHL is to play in the offensive zone.  The more time you spend defending the more likely you are going to get scored on.  Games are won by goal differential and most teams now talk of 3 scoring lines.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

Hitchcock who is known as a defensive coach says the best way to defend in the new NHL is to play in the offensive zone.  The more time you spend defending the more likely you are going to get scored on.  Games are won by goal differential and most teams now talk of 3 scoring lines.  

:bored:

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s 23 now, development time in the minors is over. He needs to start testing himself against NHL competition. I personally think 10-13 minutes a night in the NHL will go a lot further than 20+ minutes a night against lesser competition.

Having Sutter to mentor him and take over faceoff duties when he’s struggling will help shelter him a bit too.

Gaudette also just has better playmaking ability as a center than Sutter. If Green wants more scoring from the third line it’s not going to come with a third line center like Sutter. 

I doubt he’s gonna ignore the instant chemistry that Baertschi and Gaudette seemed to have. Which is why he’s putting them right back together tonight. If they continue to show that I don’t see how he doesn’t make the team.

It's a tough one, I see great merit in both arguments.  Happy to sit on the sidelines and see what the decision is.  Either way, I can't say I will be disappointed with either decision.  HockeyGaud is going to be a regular canuck in the very near future.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, mll said:

That's not very realistic, especially for a team who depends heavily on young, inexperienced players.  For all our love of Petey and Boes, they spend the majority of time in their own end.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's not very realistic, especially for a team who depends heavily on young, inexperienced players.  For all our love of Petey and Boes, they spend the majority of time in their own end.

I swear sometimes mll's an AI bot :lol:

Just now, stawns said:

and so is the bottom-6.  It's no way to win if every line is stuck in their own end.  

I am expecting a combination of the following forwards get waived/sent down.

Tim Schaller

Loui Eriksson

Adam Gaudette

Nikolay Goldobin

Barring a trade I do not see Beagle, Sutter or Motte waived under any circumstance. I'm half expecting one of Schaller or Eriksson to stay. Graovac I think earns a spot as an extra forward. Not sure where MacEwen ends up. He has served his time in the A could go back. Could stay.

Edited by Rush17
  • Wat 1

I haven’t heard any further cuts today, wonder if they will happen before or after tonight’s final tuneup. HockeyGaud has done all he possibly can to make the team. Sure is nice to see a 5th rounder pan out as well as AG has. Thank you Rafael Diaz and the 6 games you played for us to get that 5th rounder that became a HockeyGaud and Hobey Baker winner.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Tim Schaller

Loui Eriksson

Adam Gaudette

Nikolay Goldobin

Barring a trade I do not see Beagle, Sutter or Motte waived under any circumstance. I'm half expecting one of Schaller or Eriksson to stay. Graovac I think earns a spot as an extra forward. Not sure where MacEwen ends up. He has served his time in the A could go back. Could stay.

This supports Schaller staying with Beagle. I liked beagle motte schaller trio.

I'm expecting Jake Virtanen and Graovac as opening day 13/14 forwards. 

Edited by Rush17

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Tim Schaller

Loui Eriksson

Adam Gaudette

Nikolay Goldobin

I got a hunch they’re working on a Sutter trade.

Dont see it happening however. Too much cap for a guy that hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Dont see it happening however. Too much cap for a guy that hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

We could retain on the final two years of his deal. We have cap space the next two years. Might boost a return. 

If Sutter is being replaced by someone with equal or less the difference of his retained salary vs actual salary we could afford it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

depends what goes with him. CBJ needs another depth d along with another C. Might be a great fit there, Sutter+Briesbois might be attractive to them if the return is low. 

I'd prefer we keep Sutter tho, if he's healthy we need the depth to actually push for the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends what goes with him. CBJ needs another depth d along with another C. Might be a great fit there, Sutter+Briesbois might be attractive to them if the return is low. 

I'd prefer we keep Sutter tho, if he's healthy we need the depth to actually push for the playoffs. 

I’d rather not have to pay to dump a player like Sutter. He has more value to us on the team than we’ll get in a trade. Too soon to give up on Brisebois too.

If we need to dump salary for Roussel I’d rather trade Tanev for some picks and replace him with one of Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rafferty etc.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d rather not have to pay to dump a player like Sutter. He has more value to us on the team than we’ll get in a trade. Too soon to give up on Brisebois too.

If we need to dump salary for Roussel I’d rather trade Tanev for some picks and replace him with one of Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rafferty etc.

We have zero need to dump anyone. Roussel fits under the cap, without IR, by simply going down to the required 23 man roster.

How we get there is another discussion altogether. 

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don't know about moving Tanev after what Hughes said yesterday about pairing with him... might be something special there.

Its tough to move salary now, just look at what TO had to do to move Marleau. I like Breezy but at least we'd be trading from something resembling depth.

With Brock's reasonable deal tho the team really isn't under huge pressure to move bodies this year, waivers takes care of it. 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We have zero need to dump anyone. Roussel fits under the cap, without IR, by simply going down to the required 23 man roster.

How we get there is another discussion altogether. 

I thought the only way we can fit him is on LTIR no?