The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Kesler, just his intensity and in a couple years with a center core of 

Horvat

Petey

Gaudette

That's pretty solid 

Kesler was a top tier 2 way C in the entire league.. I'd say Horvat has a better chance to be top tier 2way C. Kesler was also a master DB. Neither Horvat or Gaud have those type of traits.  

Kesler was a special players.  Those types don't come around often.

Long ways to go for Gaudette to Kesler comparisons imo. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So with Boeser and Fatenberg possibly on IR to start the year I think Benning will go with 14 forwards and 7 D.  This makes sense as you can send down Brisebois and Chatfield who are ineligible for waivers.  Keeping the extra forward allows Benning to defer the tough decision on who to waive until Boeser returns.  Right now it is relatively easy:

Ferland       Pettersson   Leivo

Pearson     Horvat          Miller

Baertschi   Gaudette      Sutter

Motte         Beagle         Virtanen

Eriksson

Goldobin

Boeser (IR)

Roussel (LTIR)

MacEwen sent to Utica

Schaller waived

Schaller isn't even an NHL player at this point so he can be waived and will clear easily.  MacEwen has played well but still needs to improve so he needs to play big minutes in Utica.  Gaudette has made this team and will be in the lineup opening night.  Virtanen has been disappointing so he can start on the 4th line and go from there.  Sutter playing on the wing will help Gaudette and shelter him on faceoffs and defensive duties.  Eriksson and Goldobin are only around because Boeser and Fatenberg are injured.  Once they are back decisions will have to be made.

I think this is what will happen.  Of course if Boeser and/or Fatenberg are ready for the season opener that could change everything.

I thought Green said Boeser will be fine opening night

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I didn't hear that but if true then Goldobin is probably on the chopping block.  Benning is probably looking to move him as we speak...

I don't think it matters one way or the other if Boeser is ready to go opening night. I do concur when the thought of Benning is shoplifting Goldobin as we speak. Why wouldn't he? 

The coach has done everything to motivate this guy. He's gotten a boat load of ice time. All without the results one wanted. 

So... He's gotta go. Cut bait and move to a new fishing hole. 

To Goldies defense, well not really defense just reality. "He just doesn't have what it takes."  

I'm sure he is trying but his counterpart competition is just  better. 

He was San jose' project, became bennings project and now is time to be someone else's project or just go. Times running out, if not already run out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Gaudette has a long, long way to go before he can fill Sutter's role, just based on faceoffs alone

We aren't necessarily directly replacing Sutter. Perhaps we want to role 3 scoring lines in which Gaudette may be more aligned to in the long run. But yes, faceoffs will be an important aspect that he would need to improve on if he wants to be a full time NHL centerman.

You know, looking at CapFriendly, Columbus looks like they could use another player or two who could fog up a mirror.

I wonder if we offered them Eriksson and our 3rd round pick next summer, if they'd give us a 7th round back for next summer and a slightly warm smile?

Sutter maybe????

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We aren't necessarily directly replacing Sutter. Perhaps we want to role 3 scoring lines in which Gaudette may be more aligned to in the long run. But yes, faceoffs will be an important aspect that he would need to improve on if he wants to be a full time NHL centerman.

If they're going to push for the playoffs I believe they'll want to run a tweener third line, with Sutter, that can chip in but leans much more to the defensive side.  

More importantly, a more defensive third line means Bo focuses more on offense.  If they move Sutter, then Bo is back to taking a LOT of faceoffs and a good chance no of them in the defensive zone.

What if Beagle gets hurt and you don't have Sutter?

• Upvote 3