Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

Keep Gaud up, Goldy goes down  and trade Jake if you can get decent value for him . Perhaps someone still believes he has top 6 potential, if they do you make the deal. 

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Loui doesn’t look tired to you?

i think we’re at that part of your race Stawnzy.

He’s actually playing at a retirement level.

I was referring to AG, it's not going to hurt to keep him reined in in Utica.  If anything, it might push him to prove they made the wrong choice, that seems consistent with his character.

I actually think LE looked not too bad in pre-season, he's certainly been solid on the pk and he's been on the ice for a few chances here and there and put up a few points.  I'm not saying he's going to crack the top 9, but he hasn't been bad, all things considered.

So with Boeser and Fatenberg possibly on IR to start the year I think Benning will go with 14 forwards and 7 D.  This makes sense as you can send down Brisebois and Chatfield who are ineligible for waivers.  Keeping the extra forward allows Benning to defer the tough decision on who to waive until Boeser returns.  Right now it is relatively easy:

Ferland       Pettersson   Leivo

Pearson     Horvat          Miller

Baertschi   Gaudette      Sutter

Motte         Beagle         Virtanen

Eriksson

Goldobin

Boeser (IR)

Roussel (LTIR)

MacEwen sent to Utica

Schaller waived

Schaller isn't even an NHL player at this point so he can be waived and will clear easily.  MacEwen has played well but still needs to improve so he needs to play big minutes in Utica.  Gaudette has made this team and will be in the lineup opening night.  Virtanen has been disappointing so he can start on the 4th line and go from there.  Sutter playing on the wing will help Gaudette and shelter him on faceoffs and defensive duties.  Eriksson and Goldobin are only around because Boeser and Fatenberg are injured.  Once they are back decisions will have to be made.

I think this is what will happen.  Of course if Boeser and/or Fatenberg are ready for the season opener that could change everything.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think the writing is on the wall for Sutter because of his cap. I thought he would be dealt next offseason after hopefully a healthy season, but Gaudette's play has really changed things. They might take lesser value. Of course Baertschi/Leivo/whoever could also be traded to make space as well, but Sutter is a center and holds value because of that. They had Gaudette out a lot on PKs in preseason also likely as a look to how he can handle that role (perhaps should they lose a respectable PK center).

Certainly will be interesting how things play out. There's really no right or wrong way to go about it.

Gaudette has a long, long way to go before he can fill Sutter's role, just based on faceoffs alone

The fact that that Brisebois is still here makes me wonder if they might be working on a trade. There would be no reason to keep him here as 7th D. Biega fits that role.

There would be no reason to not send him down unless they are looking at trade options to make room for him, but don't know who on defense they could realistically be willing to part with.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

The fact that that Brisebois is still here makes me wonder if they might be working on a trade. There would be no reason to keep him here as 7th D. Biega fits that role.

There would be no reason to not send him down unless they are looking at trade options to make room for him, but don't know who on defense they could realistically be willing to part with.

they could be keeping him here for practice through the weekend, to have an even number of pairs, etc

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Kesler, just his intensity and in a couple years with a center core of 

Horvat

Petey

Gaudette

That's pretty solid 

I agree with that somewhat, in style only, not db-ness.  I don't think he'll match Kes' defensive acumen though

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Kesler, just his intensity and in a couple years with a center core of 

Horvat

Petey

Gaudette

That's pretty solid 

We also have Tyler Madden in the system.  He could be better suited for the wing though with his speed but he's another young option down the middle.  If he turns out like his father Tyler could be a beauty.

Refresh my memory, last year when Motte earned a spot on the roster did we have to waive someone to make room for him?

• Upvote 1

If Eriksson isn’t sent down or traded, I truly hope he’s the 13th forward spending most games watching from the press box. He didn’t do near enough to warrant a spot. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Refresh my memory, last year when Motte earned a spot on the roster did we have to waive someone to make room for him?

Gagner, I believe 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Gagner

13 minutes ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Horvat

Petey

Gaudette

That's pretty solid 

Kesler was a top tier 2 way C in the entire league.. I'd say Horvat has a better chance to be top tier 2way C. Kesler was also a master DB. Neither Horvat or Gaud have those type of traits.  

Kesler was a special players.  Those types don't come around often.

Long ways to go for Gaudette to Kesler comparisons imo. 

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Thinking Schaller is the vet Weisbrod was hinting at waiving.

Gaudette has been so good he's got Green repeating himself and talking in circles. 

#toughdecisions

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Goldy needs to stay based on asset management.

Nope.

The Corrado paradox returns!

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So with Boeser and Fatenberg possibly on IR to start the year I think Benning will go with 14 forwards and 7 D.  This makes sense as you can send down Brisebois and Chatfield who are ineligible for waivers.  Keeping the extra forward allows Benning to defer the tough decision on who to waive until Boeser returns.  Right now it is relatively easy:

Ferland       Pettersson   Leivo

Pearson     Horvat          Miller

Baertschi   Gaudette      Sutter

Motte         Beagle         Virtanen

Eriksson

Goldobin

Boeser (IR)

Roussel (LTIR)

MacEwen sent to Utica

Schaller waived

Schaller isn't even an NHL player at this point so he can be waived and will clear easily.  MacEwen has played well but still needs to improve so he needs to play big minutes in Utica.  Gaudette has made this team and will be in the lineup opening night.  Virtanen has been disappointing so he can start on the 4th line and go from there.  Sutter playing on the wing will help Gaudette and shelter him on faceoffs and defensive duties.  Eriksson and Goldobin are only around because Boeser and Fatenberg are injured.  Once they are back decisions will have to be made.

I think this is what will happen.  Of course if Boeser and/or Fatenberg are ready for the season opener that could change everything.

I thought Green said Boeser will be fine opening night

4 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I thought Green said Boeser will be fine opening night

I didn't hear that but if true then Goldobin is probably on the chopping block.  Benning is probably looking to move him as we speak...