Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I didn't hear that but if true then Goldobin is probably on the chopping block.  Benning is probably looking to move him as we speak...

I don't think it matters one way or the other if Boeser is ready to go opening night. I do concur when the thought of Benning is shoplifting Goldobin as we speak. Why wouldn't he? 

The coach has done everything to motivate this guy. He's gotten a boat load of ice time. All without the results one wanted. 

So... He's gotta go. Cut bait and move to a new fishing hole. 

To Goldies defense, well not really defense just reality. "He just doesn't have what it takes."  

I'm sure he is trying but his counterpart competition is just  better. 

He was San jose' project, became bennings project and now is time to be someone else's project or just go. Times running out, if not already run out. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

I would waive one extra guy just to show other GMs we don't care about waiver losses lol. 

Might encourage other GMs to pony up for Sutter lol. ¡!!!!  Maybe it does nothing :lol:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Gaudette has a long, long way to go before he can fill Sutter's role, just based on faceoffs alone

We aren't necessarily directly replacing Sutter. Perhaps we want to role 3 scoring lines in which Gaudette may be more aligned to in the long run. But yes, faceoffs will be an important aspect that he would need to improve on if he wants to be a full time NHL centerman.

You know, looking at CapFriendly, Columbus looks like they could use another player or two who could fog up a mirror.

I wonder if we offered them Eriksson and our 3rd round pick next summer, if they'd give us a 7th round back for next summer and a slightly warm smile?

Sutter maybe????

57 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Gagner

So Gaud should make this team and Schaller but ideally for me Schaller and LE get waived

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We aren't necessarily directly replacing Sutter. Perhaps we want to role 3 scoring lines in which Gaudette may be more aligned to in the long run. But yes, faceoffs will be an important aspect that he would need to improve on if he wants to be a full time NHL centerman.

If they're going to push for the playoffs I believe they'll want to run a tweener third line, with Sutter, that can chip in but leans much more to the defensive side.  

More importantly, a more defensive third line means Bo focuses more on offense.  If they move Sutter, then Bo is back to taking a LOT of faceoffs and a good chance no of them in the defensive zone.

What if Beagle gets hurt and you don't have Sutter?

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope.

The Corrado paradox returns!

I had a Corrado paradox once, in my twenties. Needed two surgeries to remove it. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I believe that's a win ;)

But for who, Always? For who?!??

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

But what if that plane had crashed into a bunny farm?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Gaudette has a long, long way to go before he can fill Sutter's role, just based on faceoffs alone

In pre-season, Sutter had a face-off win percentage of 41.9%. Gaudette was at the 46.4%. (The leaders were Horvat at 73.1% and Miller at 72.7%)

Yes, that is a small sample, but Sutter was at 48.5% last year. Gaudette was only 40% last but he improved a lot over the summer and improved over the course of the preseason and was well over 50% in the last two games. I think it is at least 50-50 that Gaudette does better on the dot than Sutter this year.

Gaudette is not as good as Sutter defensively but he appears to be better offensively, and is improving all the time. He makes his linemates better whereas Sutter normally has a negative effect on the production of his linemates. If the Canucks want a third scoring line, Gaudette is a better option for center. Sutter still plays a valuable role on the PK and playing shutdown, but he does not need to be in the 3C to do that. I would play him on the wing with Beagle at C on a shutdown line.

1 hour ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

Gaudette reminds me a bit of Kesler, just his intensity and in a couple years with a center core of 

Horvat

Petey

Gaudette

That's pretty solid 

I like Gaudette much better than Kesler. I am not saying he will be a better player, just that I like him better. And I suspect he is a  much better teammate. Kesler was never good for team morale, although the overall tone was set by the Sedins so his negative influence did not have much effect.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Eriksson isn’t sent down or traded, I truly hope he’s the 13th forward spending most games watching from the press box. He didn’t do near enough to warrant a spot. 

I have changed my official position on Eriksson. All pre-season I have been saying that i) he will be on the team and ii) he should be on the team. I thought it was close. Both his cap hit and term are way too high but, on balance I thought he helped the team right now. But he had a terrible game against Arizona. The team was crushed in scoring chances when he was on the ice (10-2 against according to Pass it to Bulis). He also made some key mistakes and, as for any positive effect, was completely invisible -- no shots, no hits (of course) but not even any "shot assists". I have been pushed into negative territory on Loui.

I still have him ahead of Goldy and Schaller, but if the team  needs one additional spot to make room for Gaudette even after waiving Goldy and Schaller, I would waive Eriksson.

On the numbers game, there are 28 guys left in camp, but 3 of those guys are injured (Roussel, Boeser and Fantenberg). If they all go on IR, only two other guys have to be dropped and I think the obvious calls are Brisebois (leaving the team with only 7 Ds) and Goldy. If Boeser is healthy, as we hope he is, one more cut is needed. I would go with Schaller (who also had a terrible game against Arizona). If Fantenberg is also healthy and the team wants to go with 8 Ds, then I would waive Eriksson.

Edited by JamesB

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

In pre-season, Sutter had a face-off win percentage of 41.9%. Gaudette was at the 46.4%. (The leaders were Horvat at 73.1% and Miller at 72.7%)

Yes, that is a small sample, but Sutter was at 48.5% last year. Gaudette was only 40% last but he improved a lot over the summer and improved over the course of the preseason and was well over 50% in the last two games. I think it is at least 50-50 that Gaudette does better on the dot than Sutter this year.

Gaudette is not as good as Sutter defensively but he appears to be better offensively, and is improving all the time. He makes his linemates better whereas Sutter normally has a negative effect on the production of his linemates. If the Canucks want a third scoring line, Gaudette is a better option for center. Sutter still plays a valuable role on the PK and playing shutdown, but he does not need to be in the 3C to do that. I would play him on the wing with Beagle at C on a shutdown line.

I like Gaudette much better than Kesler. I am not saying he will be a better player, just that I like him better. And I suspect he is a  much better teammate. Kesler was never good for team morale, although the overall tone was set by the Sedins so his negative influence did not have much effect.

I have changed my official position on Eriksson. All pre-season I have been saying the i) he will be on the team and ii) he should be on the team. I thought it was close. Both his cap hit and term are way too high but, on balance I thought he helped the team right now. But he had a terrible game against Arizona. The team was crushed in scoring chances when he was on the ice (10-2 against according to Pass it to Bulis). He also made some key mistakes and, as for any positive effect, was completely invisible -- no shots, no hits (of course) but not even any "shot assists". I have been pushed into negative territory on Loui.

I still have him ahead of Goldy and Schaller, but if the team  needs one additional spot to make room for Gaudette even after waiving Goldy and Schaller, I would waive Eriksson.

On the numbers game, there are 28 guys left in camp, but 3 of those guys are injured (Roussel, Boeser and Fantenberg). If they all go on IR, only two other guys have to be dropped and I think the obvious calls are Brisebois (leaving the team with only 7 Ds) and Goldy. If Boeser is healthy, as we hope he is, one more cut is needed. I would go with Schaller (who also had a terrible game against Arizona). If Fantenberg is also healthy and the team wants to go with 8 Ds, then I would waive Eriksson.

Who goes Sutter face off against compared to Gaudette?

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they're going to push for the playoffs I believe they'll want to run a tweener third line, with Sutter, that can chip in but leans much more to the defensive side.  

More importantly, a more defensive third line means Bo focuses more on offense.  If they move Sutter, then Bo is back to taking a LOT of faceoffs and a good chance no of them in the defensive zone.

Then you acquire a serviceable 4th liner like a Nic Dowd (for example). I think the idea is 3 scoring lines that are responsible in their own end. If we do a good job hemming them in their own end, then we focus the efforts on that end rather than for defensive duties. We want Bo to get more offensive looks, but at the same time, I hope he becomes a Bergeron type that faces top competition but yet is still a very good offensive threat.

There's not one template that is successful. I'm fine with keeping Sutter too, but just think if we are looking for value while being able to unload a bit of cap (the plan for me was to do this next off season, but Gaudette's play has stood out more than I expected), then Sutter is the guy to move. Miller can fill in for center as well if it does get to that. Gaudette makes Baertschi more effective as a "third liner". 

Just now, theo5789 said:

Then you acquire a serviceable 4th liner like a Nic Dowd (for example). I think the idea is 3 scoring lines that are responsible in their own end. If we do a good job hemming them in their own end, then we focus the efforts on that end rather than for defensive duties. We want Bo to get more offensive looks, but at the same time, I hope he becomes a Bergeron type that faces top competition but yet is still a very good offensive threat.

There's not one template that is successful. I'm fine with keeping Sutter too, but just think if we are looking for value while being able to unload a bit of cap (the plan for me was to do this next off season, but Gaudette's play has stood out more than I expected), then Sutter is the guy to move. Miller can fill in for center as well if it does get to that. Gaudette makes Baertschi more effective as a "third liner". 

AG has definitely played well, but he's had some not so stellar plays as well.  Truly though, AG came in with a goal in mind and he was only going to achieve that by going balls to the wall.  Established guys don't have that motivation in the pre-season, do it's hard to compare, imo.

If I am JB and I have a plan for how I want my team to look and play coming out of the off season, I ask myself has AG really done enough for me to abandon that plan completely?  For me, as thrilled as I am with AG, I still stick with my plan.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

gaudette I would love him to make the team but if we are talking asset management  gaudette is starting in Utica  and first call up every time a injury happens , the canucks need that waiver exempt thru out the season ,   it is a catch 22  if gaudette makes it   we lose an asset  ie goldy schaller motte  and we lose  depth  , a guy we can call up anytime and not lose him via waivers    ya I know what weistbrod( sp) said  waivers don't matter   but we also had that waiver fiasco last year with  the goalie  so it should matter                                                          

ps I didn't mention loui  because he should be waived  ,. no one wants to see his piss poor effort any more 

Would anyone trade Gaudette for a winger? Possibly Jonathan Drouin? 

Not saying we should but he's probably at peak value right now, and we could use another winger until we get Madden in the system 

Edited by DS4quality

2 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Would anyone trade Gaudette for a winger? Possibly Jonathan Drouin? 

Not saying we should but he's probably at peak value right now, and we could use another winger until we get Madden in the system 

It's an option, but I think fully developing him as a top 6 cman increases his value even more.  Ultimately, I think AG is moved in the next two seasons.

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

At some point you have to take risks.   It’s not like our team is a contender and shouldn’t try new things.   Sutter wasn’t prime Sutter when he played last year - yes he’s got Pilates going for him and says he’s ready to go.....playing three scoring lines instead of two and two defensive lines hasn’t worked all that well for us in the recent past - because we didn’t have the guns to make it work.  Now we do.   If Beagle gets injured and Sutter isn’t move him to the 4th line and let him do that job.   Otherwise play Sutter on the wing and let him coach AG on the little things he needs to develop his defensive game.   His career trajectory suggests he’s a sponge.  Each step he figured things out and moved on to he next one.   

Im pretty sure he’s going to the AHL because nobody is traded yet.   Think it’s a mistake.   I really don’t care if JV or Goldobin go to another team and finally figure it out - what I care about is winning and AG is producing at great pace for a third liner right now.  Sure it’s the preseason - and it will get tougher.   But a Bear - AG - Sutter line and a LE Beagle - JV line looks like a pretty good bottom six to me. 

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

AG has definitely played well, but he's had some not so stellar plays as well.  Truly though, AG came in with a goal in mind and he was only going to achieve that by going balls to the wall.  Established guys don't have that motivation in the pre-season, do it's hard to compare, imo.

If I am JB and I have a plan for how I want my team to look and play coming out of the off season, I ask myself has AG really done enough for me to abandon that plan completely?  For me, as thrilled as I am with AG, I still stick with my plan.

Well I'm not saying trade Sutter now. I'm of the mind that Gaudette is sent down to start the season and explore trade options. They could move others instead of course. I just think if there is a deal for Sutter, then it's not out of the question for me. The plan is to win, doesn't matter which path is chosen to get there.

• Upvote 1