Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

AG has definitely played well, but he's had some not so stellar plays as well.  Truly though, AG came in with a goal in mind and he was only going to achieve that by going balls to the wall.  Established guys don't have that motivation in the pre-season, do it's hard to compare, imo.

If I am JB and I have a plan for how I want my team to look and play coming out of the off season, I ask myself has AG really done enough for me to abandon that plan completely?  For me, as thrilled as I am with AG, I still stick with my plan.

Well I'm not saying trade Sutter now. I'm of the mind that Gaudette is sent down to start the season and explore trade options. They could move others instead of course. I just think if there is a deal for Sutter, then it's not out of the question for me. The plan is to win, doesn't matter which path is chosen to get there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

At some point you have to take risks.   It’s not like our team is a contender and shouldn’t try new things.   Sutter wasn’t prime Sutter when he played last year - yes he’s got Pilates going for him and says he’s ready to go.....playing three scoring lines instead of two and two defensive lines hasn’t worked all that well for us in the recent past - because we didn’t have the guns to make it work.  Now we do.   If Beagle gets injured and Sutter isn’t move him to the 4th line and let him do that job.   Otherwise play Sutter on the wing and let him coach AG on the little things he needs to develop his defensive game.   His career trajectory suggests he’s a sponge.  Each step he figured things out and moved on to he next one.   

Im pretty sure he’s going to the AHL because nobody is traded yet.   Think it’s a mistake.   I really don’t care if JV or Goldobin go to another team and finally figure it out - what I care about is winning and AG is producing at great pace for a third liner right now.  Sure it’s the preseason - and it will get tougher.   But a Bear - AG - Sutter line and a LE Beagle - JV line looks like a pretty good bottom six to me. 

IMO, this team isn't at the gambling stage yet, they need stability and the dcorp still needs some support from it's fwd group.  Do you feel the dcorpr is strong enough to support three lines that focus on offense?  I don't.

Any team that gets into the playoffs can go on a run.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well I'm not saying trade Sutter now. I'm of the mind that Gaudette is sent down to start the season and explore trade options. They could move others instead of course. I just think if there is a deal for Sutter, then it's not out of the question for me. The plan is to win, doesn't matter which path is chosen to get there.

It's not goign to hurt anything to send AG down and show that he can produce that way in meaningful games and be the go to guy.  That will up his value significantly.........he's not going to get that chance in Van

16 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Would anyone trade Gaudette for a winger? Possibly Jonathan Drouin? 

Not saying we should but he's probably at peak value right now, and we could use another winger until we get Madden in the system 

Couldn't we just play Gaudette on the wing and ease him into a center position?

• Hydration 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

IMO, this team isn't at the gambling stage yet, they need stability and the dcorp still needs some support from it's fwd group.  Do you feel the dcorpr is strong enough to support three lines that focus on offense?  I don't.

Any team that gets into the playoffs can go on a run.

your probably right but they are getting closer.  it may be a struggle for a couple more years. until the defensive game equals the offensive game in ability, the team will struggle.  green likes strong defensive teams, so finding the right balance will take time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Gaudette has a long, long way to go before he can fill Sutter's role, just based on faceoffs alone

By this logic EP should also be demoted to the AHL - last year he was the second worst in the entire league for players that took as many face offs as him.    AG had a respectable winning percentage this pre-season - better then Sutter (not that I’d say he’s better overall - that’s one of Sutters strong suits of course) ....

AG was great this pre-season - he outlplayed all the fringe players and a lot of the regulars.   I get that asset management is part of the game and if he’s sent down I won’t worry about it ... as manager myself I’d undoubtedly give him a chance in the bigs first - before demoting him - to see if he can carry through to the real season - I’m all for rewarding productivity and penalizing 

non-production it’s the best way to make a better product - and right now he’s played better then half our forwards at least. 

So what if we “maybe” lose Goldobin or Motte.   Both are easily replaceable.  Make a trade for JV even - but I’d put him where Motte is - last chance this year.

Ferland-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Bear-AG-Sutter

LE-Beagle-JV

Leivo

Motte and Goldobin get waived.   When Roussel is back so does  Leivo IF nobody else is injured. 

ZM next up.

As far as playing AG on the wing - why not?   It’s not like these guys can’t do it - most Canadian and US teams are mostly made up with centers these guys know how to play the game and don’t have to be all-stars to figure it out - often natural centers end up wingers at the NHL level.  So if it’s that important to keep Sutter as the middle man - give AG the chance to play beside him and soak it up.  Seems logical enough given he’s headed that way anyways.  

As for Madden.  Let him earn his spot on the team too - hopefully his career trajectory is as good as AGs.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nope.

The Corrado paradox returns!

I hear you but....remember when we ran out of goalies?

12 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I want three scoring lines and from a strategic view this might be best.

Ferland - Pettersson - Goldobin(to prove if he can go with Peteys flow, if not, send down or trade) 

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Virtanen  - Miller - Pearson

Leivo - Beagle - Sutter

Eriksson  - Motte

Schaller, Biega should be waived as back up.

Gaudette - MacEvan start in Utica due to strategy, not performence. 

Schaller, Gaudette, MacEvan should form the first line in Utica and be called up when needed. If they are NHL ready they will have fun as first line in Utica. 

One other option is to waive both Goldobin and Eriksson in order to let them find some confidence as first line players with Gaudette. 

Roussell comes when he's ready

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Benn

Stecher - Tanev

Fantenberg

Edited September 8 by Timråfan

I think you're not wrong but you're putting and awful lot of pressure on Goldobin and Virtanen here. I'd be for waiting a month or so before putting them into the deep end or the pool. 

Virtanen is sucking wind and out of shape asking him to keep up w Miller and Pearson might be wiser 20 games into the season than it would be on game one. 

Goldobin is a Gambler. I think should be given the opportunity but probably start him on your third line and if the chips start rolling in then reward him with an opportunity with Pete. Flip side if he cant hang w Miller Pearson I think we have seen enough.

Edited by hammertime

I think Gaudette gets sent down until a trade can be made to make room for him, or injury bug strikes.

Once the season starts, there will always be one team that had someone get hit with a season ending injury and needs to plug a hole. When that happens, look to trade either Sutter or Eriksson and make that extra space.

I expect a trade very soon.  Might have to wait until after everyone's final roster is set, so Gaudette might have to go to Utica for a few games until it's sorted out, but he definitely 'made' the team this year.  I still see that as keeping to your word (that if you earn a spot on the team you'll play), though last year I was surprised when they waived Gagner... so you never know.

Edited by Dekey Pete

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

By this logic EP should also be demoted to the AHL - last year he was the second worst in the entire league for players that took as many face offs as him.    AG had a respectable winning percentage this pre-season - better then Sutter (not that I’d say he’s better overall - that’s one of Sutters strong suits of course) ....

AG was great this pre-season - he outlplayed all the fringe players and a lot of the regulars.   I get that asset management is part of the game and if he’s sent down I won’t worry about it ... as manager myself I’d undoubtedly give him a chance in the bigs first - before demoting him - to see if he can carry through to the real season - I’m all for rewarding productivity and penalizing 

non-production it’s the best way to make a better product - and right now he’s played better then half our forwards at least. 

So what if we “maybe” lose Goldobin or Motte.   Both are easily replaceable.  Make a trade for JV even - but I’d put him where Motte is - last chance this year.

Ferland-EP-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Bear-AG-Sutter

LE-Beagle-JV

Leivo

Motte and Goldobin get waived.   When Roussel is back so does  Leivo IF nobody else is injured. 

ZM next up.

As far as playing AG on the wing - why not?   It’s not like these guys can’t do it - most Canadian and US teams are mostly made up with centers these guys know how to play the game and don’t have to be all-stars to figure it out - often natural centers end up wingers at the NHL level.  So if it’s that important to keep Sutter as the middle man - give AG the chance to play beside him and soak it up.  Seems logical enough given he’s headed that way anyways.  

As for Madden.  Let him earn his spot on the team too - hopefully his career trajectory is as good as AGs.

He played well, for sure.  I just think both he and the org are better served with him in Utica, to start at least.

I've been on the Gaudette train from draft Day, so obviously I want to see him in Van, but I also want to see him play big mins, at centre.

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

your probably right but they are getting closer.  it may be a struggle for a couple more years. until the defensive game equals the offensive game in ability, the team will struggle.  green likes strong defensive teams, so finding the right balance will take time.

Absolutely agree, 100%.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

It's not goign to hurt anything to send AG down and show that he can produce that way in meaningful games and be the go to guy.  That will up his value significantly.........he's not going to get that chance in Van

And what happens if he does show well after 15 games? At some point, it will hurt for someone who gave it his all in preseason and "earned" a shot to stick in the NHL.

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And what happens if he does show well after 15 games? At some point, it will hurt for someone who gave it his all in preseason and "earned" a shot to stick in the NHL.

There'll be injuries, as there always is.  If he ends up in Utica all season, how does that hurt him?  

10 hours ago, bree2 said:

so you are saying send Gaudette down , but keep LE, JV AND Goldy up, Gaudette has earned his spot and the others haven't. some are saying Jake can get 15 to 20 points , so keep him up , well that was last year , from what we all saw this preseason, Jake seems very just disinterested.

Yes. But only because he still needs to work on the defensive side of his game. I want to start looking at the long view like contending teams do. If we just jettison unpopular players and lose them to waivers, then when we get our inevitable injuries , we will be in the same boat that we've been in the past several seasons. I would much rather have NHL ready players step in so we can keep up a decent level of play rather than fading down the stretch. Gaudette was very good offensively, but he made some rookie errors on the defensive side. There's nothing wrong with him polishing that side of his game with bigger minutes and a more central role in Utica.

If he stays up, I have no problem with that as well. I just hope we don't lose anyone to waivers and then end up fading later in the season. As I said before, we get a lot of injuries so he would end up on the team eventually. I also think that by sending him down that it will open up a possibility for a trade later when other teams suffer injuries and some of their younger players don't work out at which point Gaudette can step into the line-up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

Could the Canucks put JV on a 2 week conditioning stint in Utica without waivers ? 

On what grounds?

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

Could the Canucks put JV on a 2 week conditioning stint in Utica without waivers ? 

Outside the box...I like it :lol:

• Haha 1