The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, mll said:

Schaller / Eriksson are on a line.  Baertschi isn't.  Media has been saying for the last few days that he is the odd man out.  Doesn't fit the top-6 and is not a bottom-6 player. 

Media says a lot of things, if it happens it happens. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Seriously get Edler off the PP1 and put Hughes there and move Edler to the PP2.

I agree with you there, it will backfire but I felt that Hughes is better than Edler and make much better decision with the puck than Edler however even with Hughes playing on PP1, they still practice drop pass.  Ugh.  I guess it doesn't make any difference because Brown still employs the drop pass.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

maybe they are trying to move sven.  maybe they haven’t decided on who they are moving between eriksson or schaller?  i see them waving goldobin, one of eriksson or schaller and sending adam down. one trade could change the course of history. 

Interesting, Baertschi and Goldobin sitting out. I would think they would play Goldobin a lot so they could decide what to do with him. Is he sick? Maybe a trade is in the works?

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Interesting, Baertschi and Goldobin sitting out. I would think they would play Goldobin a lot so they could decide what to do with him. Is he sick? Maybe a trade is in the works?

No one is sick.  They are practicing but not on a line.  

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, mll said:

Schaller / Eriksson are on a line.  Baertschi isn't.  Media has been saying for the last few days that he is the odd man out.  Doesn't fit the top-6 and is not a bottom-6 player. 

Or, they know they are keeping Baer and the issue now is deciding between the last of the bubble guys.

I can't see them letting Gaudette go back to Utica.  Which means more cuts.  And then they still have to take into account what happens when Roussel comes back (keep somebody up who can move back when needed or assume they can make a trade later?)  Assuming that Leivo and Pearson are locks... and Baertschi is a lock... that means only Motte is kept up.  So... Schaller, Eriksson, Goldobin are all waived? 

Just now, coolboarder said:

I agree with you there, it will backfire but I felt that Hughes is better than Edler and make much better decision with the puck than Edler however even with Hughes playing on PP1, they still practice drop pass.  Ugh.  I guess it doesn't make any difference because Brown still employs the drop pass.  

The problem with Edler which I saw in the preseason, instead of trying to use Pettersson or Brock more he decided to just throw it on the net, now don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing to do that, but when you do it 3 or 4 times in a row and still don't pass it to your better shooters then that's a problem. It does seem Edler is second guessing himself to make the pass to either one, or he's just to slow to react anymore, so having a young guy in Hughes who already has shown his passing abilities it really makes sense to have the more agile quicker younger player there imo.

And people can't really use the excuse that Edlers experience and leadership is the backbone on that PP so things don't go wrong, would be a complete lie because I see it every year he ALWAYS gets burned by the other teams forward and can never catch him instead just tries to slash and hook him because he can't keep up and then draws a penalty there goes the PP, get a younger player who's quicker in decisions and speed, who can cut down on mistakes and even catch a player after a mistake.

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The problem with Edler which I saw in the preseason, instead of trying to use Pettersson or Brock more he decided to just throw it on the net, now don't get me wrong it's not a bad thing to do that, but when you do it 3 or 4 times in a row and still don't pass it to your better shooters then that's a problem. It does seem Edler is second guessing himself to make the pass to either one, or he's just to slow to react anymore, so having a young guy in Hughes who already has shown his passing abilities it really makes sense to have the more agile quicker younger player there imo.

And people can't really use the excuse that Edlers experience and leadership is the backbone on that PP so things don't go wrong, would be a complete lie because I see it every year he ALWAYS gets burned by the other teams forward and can never catch him instead just tries to slash and hook him because he can't keep up and then draws a penalty there goes the PP, get a younger player who's quicker in decisions and speed, who can cut down on mistakes and even catch a player after a mistake.

Maybe the team wants him to cut his teeth on the second unit?

Just now, gameburn said:

Or, they know they are keeping Baer and the issue now is deciding between the last of the bubble guys.

I can't see them letting Gaudette go back to Utica.  Which means more cuts.  And then they still have to take into account what happens when Roussel comes back (keep somebody up who can move back when needed or assume they can make a trade later?)  Assuming that Leivo and Pearson are locks... and Baertschi is a lock... that means only Motte is kept up.  So... Schaller, Eriksson, Goldobin are all waived? 

I don't think he is a lock.  Green criticised Calgary for playing him on a checking line.  There's no spot in the top-6.  Media is around the team and have been gathering information.  He wasn't at media day either at the start of camp - every other vet was.  

He is also not on the PP when it's his strength.  Pearson's career high on the PP is 7pts.  Leivo had 4pts last year.  They are on PP1 and PP2 but Baertschi isn't foreseen on the PP per Drance.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

me either.  hes going to be a C long term for the team so that will be where he plays.  If he stays itll probably shift Sutter to the wing, which suits his game a little better anyways

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Don’t get the rational for people saying AG could/should play wing. He’s spent 0 shifts this preseason at wing, not happening. 

Gaudette has been worse than Sutter in his own zone or on the dot during the preseason. IMO he has been our worse C in his own zone. The idea is to eliminate both those factors by having to play him on the wing which would give him way more opportunity and freedom offensively rather then being relegated to a checking role (since the top 2 lines will get the majority of the offensive ice time) that he doesn't look quite ready for which much rather suits Sutter. If we want to develop him that way then there's another reason to throw him in Utica in order to work on his overall game on top of the asset management.

If he makes the team it should be as a top 6 winger because he has beat out guys for a top 6 wing role. Also he seems to be practicing the wing rn so perhaps management sees the potential at wing. I sure do.

1 hour ago, mll said:

We need to stop looking at the forwards as top 6 and bottom six. We need to be looking at it as top 9 and bottom 3 now. We need three lines who can score and one shut down line.  Sven surely fits in the top nine. 

Edited by Stelar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

This is a good sign that they are at least on the ice. I’m sure this was all a modified practice session for them. Looks like they both might be ready for the start of the season! :towel:

Obviously if they’re wearing non contact jerseys they weren’t going to participate in full practice (battle drills)

So I doubt they left early, rather exactly when they were scheduled to leave. Leave it to the media to try and cause a panic.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Obviously if they’re wearing non contact jerseys they weren’t going to participate in full practice (battle drills)

So I doubt they left early, rather exactly when they were scheduled to leave. Leave it to the media to try and cause a panic.

Or maybe it's concussion protocol for them to only play that long .... we just don't know.  But ya, media likes to stir up stuff.